Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of May 2010 (Tue)   #1
Julianne

Default Commercial use photos-what to charge?

I recently did a photo shoot for a doctor's office. It was on the beach with ten staff members (all women), took me about an hour to shoot, plus about 5-6 hours pp. One or two of the photos will be used for ads in the paper, one will be used for a billboard. I have never done a commercial shoot, and have no idea what to charge to release the photos to them for their advertising purposes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of May 2010 (Tue)   #2
psuphoto09

Default Re: Commercial use photos-what to charge?

http://asmp.org/links/32 but specifically http://asmp.org/tutorials/licensing-guide.html since it is commercial use. Its not so much helpful with coming up with a number but what considerations you should put into coming up with the number. Make sure to look at how many people it will be viewed by etc.

POTN-How Much do I charge?

Hope this helped a bit.

50D | Canon 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8L USM |couple CF cards & some other gear
psuphoto09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2010 (Tue)   #3
sfaust
Goldmember

This should have been worked out before the shoot, not after. It will be much harder to get the going rate for a commercial usage now that you have already shoot the project. If they are new to commercial photography, they may not understand how it all works, and that its done on a licensing model and not per print. They will probably feel like they are being taken advantage of since the usage will be much higher than prints would be. For example, one month on a billboard could be $300-$900 depending on the area, size of the billboard etc. 6 months could be double that.

sfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of May 2010 (Wed)   #4
steveagle

Agreed that you should of worked this out BEFORE the shoot was done. You will be hard pressed to get them to pay much for it now.

Hers: G11 | IXUS950IS | Lumix DMC-FT1
steveagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2010 (Wed)   #5
Karl Johnston
Rare exception that I didn't say anything stupid"

easy enough to get them to pay now or after but ideally before.

I recommend getting
www.fotoquote.com

fotoquote software will help u out
Karl Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2010 (Wed)   #6
Julianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaust View Post
This should have been worked out before the shoot, not after. that.
Yes, I totally agree, and I went ahead only because there was a time deadline, and I didn't know what to charge.....

They have had other photographers, lots of advertising, one billboard already, so they are familiar with commercial costs. I seem to be the only one who isn't... lol

Would $1200 be a reasonable fee? I also did some interior office photos for their website, and was going to charge $400 for those.

I will definitely work this out beforehand next time, and have learned a valuable lesson. Just need some help now! thanks!
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #7
Julianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuphoto09 View Post
http://asmp.org/links/32 but specifically http://asmp.org/tutorials/licensing-guide.html since it is commercial use. Its not so much helpful with coming up with a number but what considerations you should put into coming up with the number. Make sure to look at how many people it will be viewed by etc.

POTN-How Much do I charge?

Hope this helped a bit.
thanks Laura, I found that website very helpful. One of the biggest dilemmas for me is figuring out the charge when it doesn't involve an hourly rate... i.e., how much time I spend actually taking and processing vs. how many times the work will be used and for how many purposes.