Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Motorsports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #1
Mike O.

Default NHRA grandstand seating location..

I will be attending the NHRA @ Pacific Raceway in Seattle in July.
What "track footage" is the best for action photos?
Also what lens length is recomemded at that "track footage" also?

Thanks in advance,
Mike O.
Mike O. is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #2
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: NHRA grandstand seating location..

If you have a choice, get low, in the first few rows, and a few feet downstream of the starting line, where 70-200mm will be useful.

200mm.

If you don't have a choice, get at the top of the general admission seats near the 300-foot mark, where something longer will be needed.

But don't forget to bring a wide-to-normal lens for images of crews working in the pits.

From a Tamron 18-200mm. Arrive early to get pit candids before the area is crowded.
DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #3
MT Stringer
Goldmember

At the NHRA Spring nationals in Baytown, I specifically bought a ticket for a seat in the third section off the starting line in row 10 or 11 (forgot which).

I used a 7D and 70-200 f.2.8 for all of the racing shots. In the pits, I switched amongst the 17-40 and 24-70 f/2.8.

Pics are here.

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #4
Mike O.

Thanks for the valuable information thus far. I think I am going to head down to the track in the next few weeks and "scout" out some good seats ad see if they may still be available.

Pictures are always welcome.

Thanks,
Mike O.
Mike O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #5
oomus

when I decide to shoot from the stands I usually go down the track to about where the nitro burners are stopping from the burn out (100-150 ft out) half way up the stands at the front of the section where no one is in front of me.

I use my 100-400 to get a more head on shot of the car and to see both lanes more or less unobstructed.

if im down by the wall or closer to the tree i'll go with the 70-200 2.8L
oomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #6
oomus

[quote=DC Fan;10213945]If you have a choice, get low, in the first few rows, and a few feet downstream of the starting line, where 70-200mm will be useful.

quote]
I cannot believe that the track would actually allow a photog over the wall in the lane while cars are launching off the line or is that the burn out box.
Either way thats just asking to get hit!
I can't say I have ever seen Photogs allowed between the wall and the cars at any track Ive ever been to! Only behind or on the other side of the wall.
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #7
-AP-

I went a couple of months ago 2 different days over 1 weekend. The first day I was relatively close to the action 2nd or 3rd from the starting line, but the second day I was wandering all the way at the end of the track near the finish line and found a bench to stand on top of.I felt this location provided more interesting shots with the stands in the background. Also saw a lot more flame action as blow ups and such tended to happen half way down the track. Knowing this, I would take a little 3 stair/step ladder and stand as close to the wall as possible near the end of the track next time out.

This is from the starting line.

This is near the end..

Some flames..

The blow hole...

And don't be afraid to fire away. You never know what you might get..
On this one, notice all the poles in the way from the start. I started my shots well in advance of the lights and had an opportunity for maybe 2 shots at the most between poles.

All with my 70-200...
-AP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #8
oomus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AP- View Post
I would take a little 3 stair/step ladder and stand as close to the wall as possible near the end of the track next time out.
I doubt that any major event will let you stand by the wall at half track or more. Cars are going way too fast there and the chance of getting killed are much higher. Especially if you are standing on a ladder which I doubt they would let through the gate anyway.

Besides track side is normally reserved for credentialled photogs.
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #9
-AP-

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomus View Post
I doubt that any major event will let you stand by the wall at half track or more. Cars are going way too fast there and the chance of getting killed are much higher. Especially if you are standing on a ladder which I doubt they would let through the gate anyway.

Besides track side is normally reserved for credentialled photogs.
Yeah, I probably didn't define that as well as I should have, but I mentioned I was standing on a bench near the end of the track. This bench was there with several others for spectators who were eating hotdogs and such. As opposed to the bench, I would have preferred a step ladder. The wall I was referring too was outside of the "trackside" wall.

I apologies for any confusion.

edit;_ Im pretty sure the little step ladder would have been okay too..

Last edited by -AP- : 24th of May 2010 (Mon) at 22:28.
-AP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #10
MT Stringer
Goldmember

Another note...last year I could move around from one side of the track to the other (in the stands - not at trackside). I go on Friday during qualifying. This year all seats were reserved and track staff was checking tickets. This was the Spring Nationals in Baytown, Tx.

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #11
kelly andersen

1000 foot club baby,if its gonna happen thats where its at,the higher the better.A few rows up just gets you nice shots of the wall, get up above and get a clear shot,you'll probably need a 300 though,70-200 wont cut it.