Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #1
nate42nd

Default How many shots will wear out a modern DSLR?

I got a T1i 2 months ago and have taken 8000 shots. 50-75% were probably messing around with different settings, bracketing (WB, exposure), and other tests. It seems like a lot of work for the internal components. How many times can you flip the mirror until you wear it out? Any estimates out there? I know I'm not the only one to take this many pictures in 2 months....it may seem low to some....to others it may seem high. I'm just wondering how many shots a DSLR is good for and how much it costs to fix once you wear out an internal component. Thanks.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #2
Randi

Default Re: How many shots will wear out a modern DSLR?

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D - 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i / 500D - 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D - 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / 400D - 50,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT / 350D - 50,000
Canon EOS 50D - 100,000
Canon EOS 40D - 100,000
Canon EOS 30D - 100,000
Canon EOS 20D - 50,000
Canon EOS 10D - 25,000
Canon EOS 5D Mark II - 150,000
Canon EOS 5D - 100,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark III - 300,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N - 200,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark III - 300,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark II - 200,000

Of course, some will die quickly and some will long surpass their life expectancy.

Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #3
nate42nd

Thank you very much. This gives me a good idea. I wonder if it's expensive to fix.

If anyone knows....let me know

Have a great day!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #4
Brain Mechanic
User is banned from forums

Depends. If it is a Nikon.....
Brain Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #5
Jardiniboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Thank you very much. This gives me a good idea. I wonder if it's expensive to fix.

If anyone knows....let me know

Have a great day!
It cost around $220 to replace the shutter.
Jardiniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #6
Biffbradford
Goldmember

Just shoot and enjoy your camera.
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #7
Brett
Goldmember

That rate (8K in 2 months) will likely slow down considerably as you become more accustomed to the camera and its settings. I doubt you'll shoot 4000 a month for long, and if you do, you need a 1-series if you want the shutter to last more than a couple years.

You'll probably want a new body by then anyway, though.

flickr

Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #8
nate42nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardiniboy View Post
It cost around $220 to replace the shutter.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffbradford View Post
Just shoot and enjoy your camera.
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
That rate (8K in 2 months) will likely slow down considerably as you become more accustomed to the camera and its settings. I doubt you'll shoot 4000 a month for long, and if you do, you need a 1-series if you want the shutter to last more than a couple years.

You'll probably want a new body by then anyway, though.
You're probably right, thanks!
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #9
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

The stats in Post #2 are SHUTTER actuation MTBF. Separate from the shutter mechanism is the reflex mirror mechanism. The early 300D was an example that although the shutter had an MTBF of 50k, the reflex mirror hinge on that camera tended to give out at a high rate at about 25k actuations--posts on POTN is clear evidence of this happening!

Also, MTBF is Mean Time Between Failure...mean...some fail faster, some fail later, and the mean is the average of the statistical failures.

Last edited by Wilt : 20th of May 2010 (Thu) at 23:51.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #10
chomish

I was in your shoes when i got my first nice DSLR(30D when it first came out) I soon started getting worried a s well since i founf myself taking too many shot especially, especially ones around the house. By the time this happended 2 year had gone by, After doing a little bit of math i reakized that bye the time i hit the shuter limit numbet the camera would probably either be sold way before or it would just be too outdated for me to care anyways. You cant live a prisoner of shutter count and let it effect how many shots you take/learn.

Go out, have a blast, shoot everyting. If one day it does fail send it in for reapaair which is usually worth fixing over gettting a new body.

Shoot everything, Have funn!!!!!
Old 20th of May 2010 (Thu)   #11
Gabriella_Ashton

Interesting tidbit: the person responsible for predicting the number of shutter actuations happens to be the same fellow known for counting how many licks it takes to get to the gum inside a blow pop.
Gabriella_Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2010 (Fri)   #12
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

I spoke with a person visiting the Canon booth at Ipex two days ago. His company uses the 1Ds Mark III for scanning books, in an automatic rig. One page, one click. He said they typically get around three million pages out of the camera, before the shutter breaks down. Since the camera is sitting in a rig and never gets handled like when they are used for normal photography, it still looks brand new after this ordeal. So they replace the shutter and get another three millions or so.
The reason they used the 1Ds Mark III was the high resolution combined with the long life shutter, he said.

Of course, in his application, the camera is never banged around or abused in any other way. Just click-click-click...
Old 21st of May 2010 (Fri)   #13
TMCCaptured

Thanks for the information.
I got my 5D MKII July 30 2009 and have a shutter count of 35k

When ever I change a lens I always Always got across to the setting of clean the sensor...sometimes I do this 2x. DO i actually need to do this? and will this effect the shutter count or longevity of the shutter?
Old 21st of May 2010 (Fri)   #14
Katalyst

as far as I know the sensor shakes itself clean and has nothing to do with the mirror? I atleast don't feel any movement and I've got it on auto-clean as well!
Katalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2010 (Fri)   #15
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

There is no point in running the sensor clean each time you change the lens. When you change the lens, dirt may of course enter into the mirror box, but it can't reach the sensor. That can only happen when you actually take photos, as that's the only time when the shutter is open.

Automatically initiated sensor cleaning doesn't involve the shutter/mirror mechanism. Manually initiated sensor cleaning does on some cameras.