Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #1
juanpafer

Question When to use Mirror Lock Up?

If your shutter speed is fast you don't need it, and if your exposure is several seconds long the impact is going to be minimum.
Is there a formula that involves FL and SS (and/or something else) to calculate the sweet spot where you should use MLU?
Thanks,
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #2
Sikor7

Default Re: When to use Mirror Lock Up?

I don't know of any formula but I have seen some tests done at about 1/60 and the effect of the mirror slapping did affect the sharpness of the shot. The mirror slap is pretty violent if you have ever seen it in slow motion. Myself, I have only used it a handful of times - like shooting the moon on a tripod. I think you may have to do your own tests on a tripod to see at what shutter speed your shot is being affected.
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"
Sikor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #3
ken_vs_ryu

when you can.
ken_vs_ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #4
AJSJones
Goldmember

If you are shooting for ultimate sharpness,then ken's right: whenever you can!
I shoot landscape and automatically use it since I'm mostly on a tripod and often have the smallest feasible aperture (balance diffraction and DoF) and low ISO therefore longish shutterspeeds. Otherwise if my SS drops below about 1/60 ish I automatically think tripod and MLU. Even for longer exposures, I still use it just be "safe" Exposures beyond 30 sec are rare for me. I don't recall where but I saw a "between 1/30 sec and 5 sec" is where it's super critical.

With cameras like the 7D and large sensor/small pixels, if you want to get the most out of those pixels in terms of large print, MLU is definitely your friend - more so than with lower MP counts
AJSJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #5
juanpafer

Thanks for your comments!
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #6
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

Anything between 2 seconds and anything measured in 10ths will benefit. I would tend to use it on a tripod automatically but for Canons nightmare selection procedure via the custom functions.

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com
Lowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #7
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Or if your taking a picture of the ISS. This has to be the best example I have ever seen of mirror slap in action.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...84&postcount=8

if you do the math, the image is an 8 second exposure. the squiggle is very pronounced for a full second and doesn't completely dampen for another. So, any long shot with moving targets is a MLU candidate.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #8
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Keep in mind that if you use Live View, you're getting MLU by default. So if you have it on a tripod, LV is a nice way to go about things.
- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."
Snydremark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #9
juanpafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl711 View Post
Or if your taking a picture of the ISS. This has to be the best example I have ever seen of mirror slap in action.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...84&postcount=8

if you do the math, the image is an 8 second exposure. the squiggle is very pronounced for a full second and doesn't completely dampen for another. So, any long shot with moving targets is a MLU candidate.
That makes it visually clear. Thanks gjl

Even though it should vary with different cameras and different support systems Richard should be right about the 1/xx ans 2s...

Eric: I am using LV as a shortcut to MLU. I read somewhere that this is not universal and that some models don't have the same cycle for MLU. Luckily it works for the 7D.

Looks like I will have to do some testing on my own gear.
Thanks guys.
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #10
juanpafer

I found this video. The mirror slap is pretty violent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHgBuKmfog
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #11
Brain Mechanic
User is banned from forums

Crazy how it bounces.
Brain Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #12
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
I am using LV as a shortcut to MLU. I read somewhere that this is not universal and that some models don't have the same cycle for MLU. Luckily it works for the 7D.
It has to be the same for every model. You can't have LV with a mirror in front of the sensor.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #13
juanpafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzalman View Post
It has to be the same for every model. You can't have LV with a mirror in front of the sensor.
I have to disagree.

Taken from Juza Nature Photography:

Different types of Live View and MLU
Nearly all cameras have Live View, but there are four main different types of Live View.
A) The most advanced Live View implementations (currently found in the Canon 7D and 5DII) allow to shoot using the electronic first curtain; in other words, when you press the shutter the camera reset electronically the sensor to begin the exposure, then it closes the physical shutter curtain to end the exposure. With this kind of live view, you no longer need MLU.

B) Another implementation of live view is found into older Canon cameras (1DIII, 1DsIII). These cameras don't have the electronic first curtain; when you press the shutter the camera closes the physical curtain to reset the sensor, it opens the curtain to begin the exposure and it closes again the curtain the end the exposure. With this kind of live view, you still need MLU.

C) A third implementation of live view if found into Nikon and Olympus SLR cameras. These cameras don't have the electronic first curtain; when you press the shutter the camera closes the physical curtain and turns down the mirror, then it raises the mirror, it opens the curtain to begin the exposure and it closes again the curtain the end the exposure. With this kind of live view, you still need MLU; moreover, it has a slight shutter delay (from 1/2" to 1").

D) Some cameras don't have mirror at all. Of course, in these cameras you don't need MLU! That said, the only camera of this type currently in production - the Panasonic G1 - has not electronic first curtain, so it may give the same problems of "type B" live view.
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #14
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpafer View Post
I have to disagree.

Taken from Juza Nature Photography:

Different types of Live View and MLU
Nearly all cameras have Live View, but there are four main different types of Live View.
A) The most advanced Live View implementations (currently found in the Canon 7D and 5DII) allow to shoot using the electronic first curtain; in other words, when you press the shutter the camera reset electronically the sensor to begin the exposure, then it closes the physical shutter curtain to end the exposure. With this kind of live view, you no longer need MLU.

B) Another implementation of live view is found into older Canon cameras (1DIII, 1DsIII). These cameras don't have the electronic first curtain; when you press the shutter the camera closes the physical curtain to reset the sensor, it opens the curtain to begin the exposure and it closes again the curtain the end the exposure. With this kind of live view, you still need MLU.

C) A third implementation of live view if found into Nikon and Olympus SLR cameras. These cameras don't have the electronic first curtain; when you press the shutter the camera closes the physical curtain and turns down the mirror, then it raises the mirror, it opens the curtain to begin the exposure and it closes again the curtain the end the exposure. With this kind of live view, you still need MLU; moreover, it has a slight shutter delay (from 1/2" to 1").

D) Some cameras don't have mirror at all. Of course, in these cameras you don't need MLU! That said, the only camera of this type currently in production - the Panasonic G1 - has not electronic first curtain, so it may give the same problems of "type B" live view.

It sounds to me like the author of that piece might be confusing the shutter curtain with locking up the reflex mirror based on the way that the explanation is worded. If the explanation of example 3 is correct then I would agree, but it sure does seem "interesting" to flip the mirror up and down unless that is the only way to get metering and perhaps focus for the shot. I do not see how example 2 is any different than example 1 as far as mirror slap would be concerned.

BTW, I use MLU for astro and macro images. I also use it at various other times when getting the ultimate sharpness is important. This assumes that one has a lens that is razor sharp, otherwise, it might just be a futile exercise.

Last edited by Bill Boehme : 24th of May 2010 (Mon) at 22:22.
Bill Boehme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2010 (Mon)   #15
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

I agree with Bill.