Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 25 Jul 2005 (Monday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: 3D (Stereo Photography)

clickit
93 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bloomington, IL
Aug 01, 2005 10:15 |  #16

OK, I tried one myself. Wanted to try something that would be more spectacular in 3D so I tried this:
What do you think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Keep on Klickin'
Canon EOS 40D,EOS 50D, Canon100-400f/4.5-5.6L, Canon 17-40 f/4L
Canon 100 f'2.8 Macro

sponsored links
cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Chicago / San Francisco
Aug 01, 2005 13:55 |  #17
banned

that 360° camera setup they used in the Matrix was up on ebay a few months ago... I think that would give you one helluva 3D image :D

embdude
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005
California
Aug 01, 2005 22:34 as a reply to cmM's post |  #18

Here is one I did with the D-Rebel a while back......

http://home.comcast.ne​t/~camerapage/30cm.htmexternal link

-Chris
NEW: Photo Blogexternal link/ My Classic Camerasexternal link / Toys: Gear Sig...
Canon PDF's for EOS Digital Camerasexternal link
Free Photo Stuff Blogexternal link

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Aug 03, 2005 19:47 |  #19

I enjoyed your images.

Unfortunately, none of the methods described so far woks for me.

This works for me:
Close your left eye. Hold the palm of your right hand in front of your right eye to hide the right picture.
Close your right eye. Hold the palm of your left hand in front of your left eye to hide the left picture.
Alternately open left, right, left right. Once you are sure that each eye sees just one image, open both eyes. The 3D image easily builds-up between your hands.

Two small pieces of black rectangular cardboard may be used instead of the naked hands.

Hope to help somebody to see the 3D effect. It is great.

Here my own test images:

gardenexternal link

neighborhoodexternal link

Some feedback about the method and the images would be appreciated.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

JuZ
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2005
West Sussex, UK
Aug 04, 2005 09:05 |  #20

People from all across the globe are now sat going cross eyed infront of their monitors, how funny do we all look :D

JuZ ;)
My Gear

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 07, 2005 17:07 |  #21

Hi people.
I've been out of town for 5 days so haven't been on-line. Spent quite a bit of time doing 3D pairs. Just need time now to merge them in Photoshop to make pairs of them. Stay posted.

Embdude - that shot of yours with the camera against the window - there's too much separation. If you can get the camera locked in, the background venetian blinds are too far spaced. Also, with the camera being the main subject it should be the main thing illuminated. I know you like working with 'available' light (check the spelling) but it's gotta be good available light.

Rpolitsr - you can also start by placing 1 finger on the centre of the photo pair and focus on that. Move the finger closer to your eyes and stayed focussed on the finger whilst maintaining the 3D pair in the background. Quickly flick you focus between your finger and the photo, and it will happen.

cmM - I've had a quick look at your website name. Now don't get me wrong, but I do a lot of cryptic crosswords and word games, and I think I see something there! Two words, sounds like a tough guy! Hmmmm. Could be rude. :)

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppeexternal link
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

Duder
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005
L.A. formerly N Ireland
Aug 07, 2005 19:35 |  #22

I used to do a bit of 3D photography back in the early 90's with my dad's film camera, using the cross-eyed technique. I'll have to give it another go with the 20D, or even some 3D infrareds.

Pete
http://www.pbase.com/p​etejacksonexternal link

embdude
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005
California
Aug 07, 2005 23:57 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #23

FotOz wrote:
Embdude - that shot of yours with the camera against the window - there's too much separation. If you can get the camera locked in, the background venetian blinds are too far spaced.

Well I guess it is just too 3D!! then.....:lol: Kinda hurts my eyeballs, now that you mention it.:rolleyes: I find if I get far enough back from the monitor it works prety well, besides who says you have to be able to focus on everything at once?

FotOz wrote:
Also, with the camera being the main subject it should be the main thing illuminated.

Obviously you are not familiar with the Minolta XG7 (subject camera). Believe me it is as well lit as you would want it to be! ;)

FotOz wrote:
I know you like working with 'available' light (check the spelling) but it's gotta be good available light.

Hey now.... I never said anything about being good...:p

I do however have a collection of cameras that I enjoy photographing, I started this thread to share my images, and have others join in as well...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=89381
Unfortunatly the two images I have posted are not so good, better ones comming soon. But I hope to have some fun with it....

PS - I'm always willing to correct my spelling, as long as you point it out....

-Chris
NEW: Photo Blogexternal link/ My Classic Camerasexternal link / Toys: Gear Sig...
Canon PDF's for EOS Digital Camerasexternal link
Free Photo Stuff Blogexternal link

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 08, 2005 05:38 |  #24

Hey Duder. You related to 'embdude'? Seems a little too close not to be. :)
Welcome aboard. Throw us a couple of your shots. Would love to see them. I was going to put some of mine together today but had to go into town to see my physio. Done my back in - again!
Will get some on here v-e-r-y soon.

P.S. Chris - can I sell you a good flash unit for your outfit???

. . . Steve . . .
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 08, 2005 05:50 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #25

I told you I was out of town for a few days. Well, this is what I was doing - converting a set of steps into landings with railings for my folks at the back of their house. After I'd finished the job I got my Dad to 'pose' (he was in his dressing gown, fresh out of bed) whilst I snapped 2 quick shots. It was my Dad who introduced me to 3D. I've sent this to him, and now I'll share it with the world. Enjoy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

. . . Steve . . .

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 08, 2005 21:01 |  #26

Damn I'm getting frustrated here.
I've been trying for a couple of days to upload shots but the page won't load.
Starts to upload, gets about half way through, then comes back with the failure notice. So - until the site sorts itself out - no more 3D foters.

. . . Steve . . .

michael.luczkow
634 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Aug 08, 2005 21:28 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #27

FotOz wrote:
I told you I was out of town for a few days. Well, this is what I was doing - converting a set of steps into landings with railings for my folks at the back of their house. After I'd finished the job I got my Dad to 'pose' (he was in his dressing gown, fresh out of bed) whilst I snapped 2 quick shots. It was my Dad who introduced me to 3D. I've sent this to him, and now I'll share it with the world. Enjoy

I found this one to be the easiest. Thanks, it has the most "depth" in my opinion too.... very cool...

Here's what I did.
Focus on the tip of your nose, then slowly look outward.... as if you had a finger moving away from your nose slowly.

5D Mark II - S90 - 15mm f/2.8 fisheye - 20-35 f/2.8L - 28-70 f/2.8L - 50mm f/1.4 - 80-200mm f/2.8L

dwterry
572 posts
Joined Jul 2005
West Jordan, UT
Aug 08, 2005 21:33 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #28

FotOz... one small problem: The exposure between the two sides is different so it confuses your eyes a bit as you notice things like the ceiling over the porch being different between the two views.

Best bet when doing 3D pictures: Switch to full manual so that your camera can't "pick" a different exposure or focus point in between shots.

Weddings, Portraits, Seniors, Models
http://www.dterryphoto​graphy.comexternal link
http://blog.dterryphot​ography.comexternal link

Duder
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005
L.A. formerly N Ireland
Aug 08, 2005 21:51 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #29

FotOz wrote:
Hey Duder. You related to 'embdude'? Seems a little too close not to be. :)
Welcome aboard. Throw us a couple of your shots. Would love to see them. I was going to put some of mine together today but had to go into town to see my physio. Done my back in - again!
Will get some on here v-e-r-y soon.

P.S. Chris - can I sell you a good flash unit for your outfit???

nah, my online moniker is inspired by The Big Lebowski. ;)

unfortunately all my 3D attempts are back home in N Ireland, so I won't be able to upload anything until I take some new'uns.

Pete
http://www.pbase.com/p​etejacksonexternal link

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Dorset, England
Aug 09, 2005 04:13 |  #30

I didn't see a damn thing! Just hope no one was watching!! Now what do I take for my headache?

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

sponsored links

312,868 views & 1 like for this thread
3D (Stereo Photography)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.