Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #31
FotOz

Default Re: 3D (Stereo Photography)

I've given it a few hours (had to do some income tax returns on-line for the kids) so I'll try my posts again. And for your info dwterry - the difference in the exposures is, believe it or not, the flash not recycling quick enough between shots. If you look real hard at the verandah behind Dad's head in the left shot you'll notice more details in the shadows. I didn't think the difference was enough to worry about as it is 'absorbed' by the merge. Anyway, good to see you're taking notice
Okay, here goes for a couple more uploads.
No! Starting to get p155ed off with this - again. Keeps coming up with this message. My browser settings are okay - I tested them. Maybe an administrator can help?

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.
FotOz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #32
embdude

Ok here goes todays attempt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c7sm3501.JPG (97.5 KB, 3281 views)
File Type: jpg c7sm3502.JPG (98.8 KB, 2379 views)

Last edited by embdude : 9th of August 2005 (Tue) at 13:59.
embdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #33
embdude

3 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c7sm3503.JPG (81.7 KB, 2372 views)
File Type: jpg c7sm3504.JPG (85.3 KB, 2365 views)
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #34
embdude

Attached Images
File Type: jpg c7sm3505.JPG (94.1 KB, 2359 views)
File Type: jpg c7sm3506.JPG (92.0 KB, 2352 views)
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #35
embdude

last.... Suggestions appreciated....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c7sm3507.JPG (93.4 KB, 2344 views)
File Type: jpg c7sm3508.JPG (92.1 KB, 2327 views)
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #36
embdude

I find if I hold my hands togother (or slightly appart) with the fingers agnist the bridge of my nose, I can mostly block/isolate each image so that I only see 1 image through each eye. Helps alot for quick alignment and is much less distracting than seeing 3 images....

Good Luck...
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #37
RobertMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by embdude
I find if I hold my hands togother (or slightly appart) with the fingers agnist the bridge of my nose, I can mostly block/isolate each image so that I only see 1 image through each eye. Helps alot for quick alignment and is much less distracting than seeing 3 images....

Good Luck...
My first post here . I've been staring at these things making my eyes sore for some time now . Your method is certainly the easiest so far. Kept seeing it and then losing every other way I tried.

Guess I'll have to try making one now. Great forum site - been reading for weeks. So many of those posting pictures are so good it's intimidating .
RobertMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #38
embdude

Hi rpolitsr,

For some reason I cannot quote you or reply to your note about my images being reversed....

IE crashes when I press send if....

I quote you
I reply to your mail
I send you a mail

I have written to you 6 times! Always hangs.....
If this is a problem with the forums then you need to get it fixed or nobody will be responding to your posts! Maybe create a new login....

I took a screen capture of one of my last attempts.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chat.JPG (69.9 KB, 2329 views)

Last edited by embdude : 9th of August 2005 (Tue) at 16:56.
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #39
embdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMP
My first post here . I've been staring at these things making my eyes sore for some time now . Your method is certainly the easiest so far. Kept seeing it and then losing every other way I tried.

Guess I'll have to try making one now. Great forum site - been reading for weeks. So many of those posting pictures are so good it's intimidating .
Thanks,

An earlier poster, rpolitsr, also gave a similar more developed concept for viewing. These images can sure produce headaches/eyeaches......
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #40
rpolitsr

I learned the 3D technique from In Depth - 3D with a 2D Digicam in dpreview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Image_Techniques/In_depth_01.htm

There you are instructed to put the image for the right eye at left and the image for the left eye at right so that crossing your eyes you ‘merge’ the images in one and see the 3D effect.

I did my images garden, neighborhood and some others following that tutorial and they work for me.

Now, my thought about some post in this forum. I will not say if something is wrong or right, just my thought and what seems to work better for me.

FotOz, the thread starter, put their images as I learned and his descriptions of how to see them are consistent for left eye’s image at right and right eye’s image at left.

The car posted by clickit has left eye’s image at left and right eye’s image at right.

The ways to see the images posted by sprinkles and embdude should work for this image and for the Minolta link posted by embdude.

I wrote to embdude a private message about his Minolta and he wrote:

Quote:
I did not notice my images are mounted reversed. Only that it works best for me in that order. I do recall reading about the pros and cons of mounting them in order or reversed, but I do not recall much, nor did I put much thought into it when I did my pictures.
If you are curious to compare, check the link posted by embdude:

Quote:
Here is one I did with the D-Rebel a while back......
http://home.comcast.net/~camerapage/30cm.htm
and the same Minolta of embdude with the original images reversed by me:

http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit/varios/onthenet/Minoltareversed.jpg

My questions are:
· Is there a preferred way to mount the images?
· Do you need different methods for viewing images mounted direct or reversed?
· Can you see real 3D with the images mounted the other way?
For me, the only way that works is crossing the eyes.

I agree with FotOz in this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotOz
You'll know if you have them (the images) on the wrong side as the 3-D will 'turn itself inside out'
I will support FotOz in this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotOz
Do you reckon we should see if we can get a 3D forum started?

Last edited by rpolitsr : 5th of October 2005 (Wed) at 14:56.
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2005 (Tue)   #41
rpolitsr

Hi embdude

I have sent and received private messages before.

The private message sent to you is the first private message that I sent with a link to an image though.
I will check, just to be sure, but I think I have no problems with private messages.

Sorry, no e-mails receive from you, but I read your post.

Thank you for your thoughts and for commenting my images.
I agree, the garden has a very subtle 3D effect but I like it. It is a bit flat because I shot it from the roof.The problem with the dust (not smoke) in ‘neighborhood’ is that the dust column started in the first image and it grew for the second. That was not good for the 3D effect.
The camera in your post ‘ last.... Suggestions appreciated....’ works fine for me. I think it has crossed images...

Last edited by rpolitsr : 5th of October 2005 (Wed) at 14:59.
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2005 (Wed)   #42
FotOz

Holy smokin' Canon! What sort of a monster have I started here? I love it. I'm going to approach the admin guys to start a 3D Forum. There is another way of viewing these images. If you put the right image under the right eye and the left image under the left eye, you don't cross your eyes but merely 'look through' the images into the distance. That's the opposite of crossing your eyes. It is harder than crossing (Xing) the eyes, but if you're having problems Xing then it may be easier.
As you would see from my post last night I was having problems uploading. I'm going to give it a try here - again. If it loads then it worked. If it didn't work, then it didn't load. Make sense? Glad you know what I'm talking about.
Ba5tard! Didn't work again. I'm gonna have to clean up my damned PC.
Bear with me. If I don't get on line tomorrow, you won't hear from me for about 4 days. I'm off to Sydney for a l-o-n-g weekend to see some shows and TAKE SOME PHOTOS.
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.
Old 10th of August 2005 (Wed)   #43
FotOz

Sorry Chris. Forgot to compliment you on your camera shots. Great stuff. Go to the top of the class. How about some scenery shots now? Don't be afraid to go outside. It's a big friendly world out there!
Old 10th of August 2005 (Wed)   #44
embdude

Rpolitsr,

I still cannot quote you without IE hanging. Maybe it is my machine, but I can quote and send messages to everyone else I have tried...

Would someone else please quote him here as a test for me!!!

Thanks....

Now back to the topic...

I have done a little googleing on the subject of mounting/arranging the pairs. There are two deffinate ways to mount... X-eyed & Parallel, and each has its own method for proper viewing...

Cross-Eyed: R image is mounted first then L image. Viewing is done by focusing the eyes on a point in front of the monitor, ie. a finger held between the face and monitor. While focused on the finger (just in or below the middle of the two images) the stereo pair will become 3 frames, slowly focus on the center frame to see in 3D. See example: http://www.vision3d.com/sgdcv.html This is the mounting method used in stereo viewers, but is more dificult to free view on a monitor

Parallel (also called "Relaxed Viewing"): L inage first then R. Viewing is done by focusing on a distant point. Relax your focus, like viewing the 3D Art posters, eventually the when you have focused in the distance 4 images (2 pairs) will emerg, slowly adjust your focus by bringing them togother to make 3 images, the middle being 3D. See example here: http://www.vision3d.com/3views.html This method is generally said to be easier for free viewing but larger images create more eye strain or must be viewed from further back from the monitor

Warning *** If you view a Cross-Eyed pair using the Parallel viewing method, or vice versa, it will not look right!!!!!! It might still have 3D elements but they wont be in the proper order or have the full 3D power as if viewed correctly!

This being said we should proably pay attention to this and note which way our images are to be viewed, for the viewers sake! Or we could just post 1 of each type mounting.

I myself have used the Parallel viewing method for years, and that is what I am comfortable with. I just learned to cross-eye view today! It is hard for me, but what a difference for some of our photos! (when viewed correctly)

Rpolitsr your photos now work properly for me, the elements I found distracting before are ok now. Same for you Fotoz

My camera photos seem to work being viewed either way (except the minolta one) so I asume if the subject is central and the photo has no great depth to it, it is not as critical......

Annother issue is framing the crops to keep the image centered in the window/frame. basically tips to avoid bleeding into the frame and comming out of the frame. Info here: http://www.vmresource.com/camera/stereowindow.htm

Last edited by embdude : 10th of August 2005 (Wed) at 12:23.
Old 10th of August 2005 (Wed)   #45
embdude

1963 Canon 7 Rangefinder w/ 50mm 0.95 "Dream Lens"

For Cross-Eved viewing....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7stereo001.JPG (94.8 KB, 2238 views)
File Type: jpg 7stereo002.JPG (92.9 KB, 2234 views)