Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of June 2010 (Thu)   #1
robonrome
Goldmember

Default LEE "Square" Circular Polarising Filter

I was wondering if I got this and the filter holder upgrade kit with Tandem adpator ring I could then rotate the polariser independent of 1 or more mounted NDGrads?

Would seem to be a cheaper option that buying the round 105mm Lee Circular polariser and it's adaptor ring?
Canon 5D Mkiii; Sony RX100; Lumix G5; 17-40L; 24L TS-E F3.5 Mk2; 24-105L IS; 40 F2.8; 135L; 70-200L F2.8 IS MkII; Ext II 1.4x; 580 exII; 270 ex... other filtery stuff
robonrome is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of June 2010 (Fri)   #2
argyle
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: LEE "Square" Circular Polarising Filter

There may be an easier and cheaper method without having to invest in a tandem holder (which would also create some vignetting issues). From what I understand, adjusting the square polarizer is just simply a matter of removing the filter from the holder, turning it 90 degrees one way or the other, and then re-inserting it back into the holder. Julian (jdizzle) uses this filter and if I recall this is how he makes the adjustment. Maybe he'll see the thread and offer his two cents, or you can shoot him a PM.

GEAR LIST
argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2010 (Fri)   #3
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Hi Rob. I do own this filter and Argyle's explanation for use of this filter is spot on. I love the filter and it's given me great results for my images. Let me know if you need any help.

Here's a pic of the filter.

Here's a shot using that filter in combination with a 3 stop reverse GND.

"When your're blessed, the haters come out. When you wear God's blessings well, don't be surprised if it draws jealousy out on people."
jdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of June 2010 (Fri)   #4
robonrome
Goldmember

Thanks argyle, and Julian you've sold me, that image is simply stunning!
Canon 5D Mkiii; Sony RX100; Lumix G5; 17-40L; 24L TS-E F3.5 Mk2; 24-105L IS; 40 F2.8; 135L; 70-200L F2.8 IS MkII; Ext II 1.4x; 580 exII; 270 ex... other filtery stuff
Old 4th of June 2010 (Fri)   #5
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Someday, the ground is going to split open under Julian and the Devil will collect!

<You my friend, Rock!>
Old 4th of June 2010 (Fri)   #6
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonrome View Post
Thanks argyle, and Julian you've sold me, that image is simply stunning!
Your welcome Rob. And thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
Someday, the ground is going to split open under Julian and the Devil will collect!

<You my friend, Rock!>
Hehe! Thanks Jay.

"When your're blessed, the haters come out. When you wear God's blessings well, don't be surprised if it draws jealousy out on people."
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #7
rvdw98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
I must have seen this picture a dozen times by now, and only now did I notice a few things:
  • You relocated the filter slots so that the brass bolt is positioned to the right/left side of the holder (or perhaps your holder came preconfigured like that). I've always found it to be a nuisance for that thingy to be "in the path of the filters" so to speak and all that time, the solution was staring me straight in the face.
  • When your holder is mounted, the bolt appears to be fully released. Mine still sticks out a bit and is only fully released when I remove the holder from the adapter ring (does that make sense?). I wonder why this is and assume that the resulting tension on the bolt is also the reason why it takes considerable force/effort to rotate my holder around the adapter ring.
rvdw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #8
2005GLI

may i ask what this filter cost?
2005GLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #9
Poe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonrome View Post
I was wondering if I got this and the filter holder upgrade kit with Tandem adpator ring I could then rotate the polariser independent of 1 or more mounted NDGrads?

Would seem to be a cheaper option that buying the round 105mm Lee Circular polariser and it's adaptor ring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
There may be an easier and cheaper method without having to invest in a tandem holder (which would also create some vignetting issues). From what I understand, adjusting the square polarizer is just simply a matter of removing the filter from the holder, turning it 90 degrees one way or the other, and then re-inserting it back into the holder. Julian (jdizzle) uses this filter and if I recall this is how he makes the adjustment. Maybe he'll see the thread and offer his two cents, or you can shoot him a PM.
It seems to me that the OP wants to be able to rotate the polarizer in smaller increments than 90 degrees. It doesn't seem that this can be done with the square shaped filter and would need a holder that can be freely rotated while the GND stays fixed, or a circular filter that can be rotated with the confines of this current filter holder.
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #10
mike_d
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
It seems to me that the OP wants to be able to rotate the polarizer in smaller increments than 90 degrees. It doesn't seem that this can be done with the square shaped filter and would need a holder that can be freely rotated while the GND stays fixed, or a circular filter that can be rotated with the confines of this current filter holder.
Depending on how wide you need to go, a round CPL attached between the lens and the Lee holder could work. I've had a B+W CPL for a while and just got a Lee holder. I threaded the Lee holder into the B+W's front thread on my 17-40 on the 5D. At 17mm, the corners were black. At 21mm, there was some vignetting. At 24mm, it looked fine.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #11
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdw98 View Post
I must have seen this picture a dozen times by now, and only now did I notice a few things:
  • You relocated the filter slots so that the brass bolt is positioned to the right/left side of the holder (or perhaps your holder came preconfigured like that). I've always found it to be a nuisance for that thingy to be "in the path of the filters" so to speak and all that time, the solution was staring me straight in the face.
  • When your holder is mounted, the bolt appears to be fully released. Mine still sticks out a bit and is only fully released when I remove the holder from the adapter ring (does that make sense?). I wonder why this is and assume that the resulting tension on the bolt is also the reason why it takes considerable force/effort to rotate my holder around the adapter ring.
I did relocate my filter slots but, I didn't modify anything on the actual holder itself. As for the bolt, I haven't had issues with mine. You can also order this bolt from B&H or from your local Lee dealer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...using_for.html

Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #12
robonrome
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
That was my original intention, but once the idea was put there, I could manage with 90-deg increments for the $ saved I think
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #13
rvdw98

Quote:
I did relocate my filter slots but, I didn't modify anything on the actual holder itself.
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Quote:
As for the bolt, I haven't had issues with mine. You can also order this bolt from B&H or from your local Lee dealer.
After posting this, I was futzing around with my holder a bit and decided to remove the bolt for no particular reason. When I put it on the adapter ring (unsecured so to speak) I noticed the same friction while rotating. One half of a full 360 degree rotation goes smoothly, the other half takes a lot of force. And with the bolt removed, that can only be caused by the holder and/or the ring not being perfectly circular.

So I flipped the ring around front to back and tried rotating it again, and that didn't cause any friction whatsoever. Also, while I can drop the ring into the holder in one orientation, when I rotate it 180 degrees, I have to force it in. That means that the holder is probably okay, but the inside of the adapter ring (where the bolt and the two holder tabs slot into) must be slightly warped.

The bad thing about that is that I have already exchanged the holder a while back for the very same issue, only then it was so bad that I could actually see it being slightly oblong, which the dealer confirmed upon receiving my holder. And now I may have to return the ring as well...

Not too impressed with Lee's QC right now...
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #14
rvdw98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005GLI View Post
may i ask what this filter cost?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...zer_Glass.html
Old 5th of June 2010 (Sat)   #15
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdw98 View Post
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

After posting this, I was futzing around with my holder a bit and decided to remove the bolt for no particular reason. When I put it on the adapter ring (unsecured so to speak) I noticed the same friction while rotating. One half of a full 360 degree rotation goes smoothly, the other half takes a lot of force. And with the bolt removed, that can only be caused by the holder and/or the ring not being perfectly circular.

So I flipped the ring around front to back and tried rotating it again, and that didn't cause any friction whatsoever. Also, while I can drop the ring into the holder in one orientation, when I rotate it 180 degrees, I have to force it in. That means that the holder is probably okay, but the inside of the adapter ring (where the bolt and the two holder tabs slot into) must be slightly warped.

The bad thing about that is that I have already exchanged the holder a while back for the very same issue, only then it was so bad that I could actually see it being slightly oblong, which the dealer confirmed upon receiving my holder. And now I may have to return the ring as well...

Not too impressed with Lee's QC right now...
Yeah but, I wouldn't called that modifying the holder. If I used a hacksaw to do it, then yes. I'm sorry you're having issues with your filter holder. I have had no issues with rotation on the adapter ring with both of my filter holders. You are one of the few here on this forum that has that issue. I guess Lee does have some issues with QC.