Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Jun 2010 (Friday) 06:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gorillapod Magnetic (Review), 430EXII and FlexTT5

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 04, 2010 06:04 |  #1

The Joby Gorillapod Magnetic is a new addition to the Gorillapod range. It is intended for compact digital cameras, and is rated to take a maximum weight of about 325g (although there is redundancy in there as you will see later)

I wondered whether I could team the Magnetic with a 430EXII (weight without batteries around 330g, so around 400g or thereabouts with batteries) and a PocketWizard Flex TT5 (about 150g with batteries). This would give me a lightweight, use just about anywhere lightstand.

I did a little research, and saw that Photography Bay had reviewed (external link) this, using a Nikon SB-26 (which is heavier than the 430 by a way), so I took the plunge.

So here is the kit (the 430 and Flex TT have enloops in them).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

First impressions were good. The weight was significantly more than the maximum rating, yet the joints still held. I then tried the magnets - absolutely rock solid.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The main negative is that the head won't support the weight of my setup when it is off centre. Given that this is a Gorrilapod however, I don't see that as too much of a problem - I can still wrap it around things, and it is rock solid when hanging from anything metallic - i just need to think more carefully about positiong the flash because I will be limited in re-positioning once the Magnetic is in place.

I could, of course, dispense with the FlexTT5 and fire the 430 as a slave to my 580EXII (which i could trigger with the PWs). I'll try this later.

In summary:

* All the benefits of a gorillapod, and now with super magnets!
* The joints give before the magnets fail
* Well made kit
* Supports much more weight than the maximum rated (but not quite enough to give me the solution I was looking for - although it's not far off)

I'll be waiting for a Gorillapod SLR magnetic, which should be perfect - so if anyone from Joby is reading this, I'm happy to product test for you!! ;o)

[p.s. it's only allowing me to attach 2 photos - can someone let me know how to put more on? Ta]

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 04, 2010 08:08 |  #2

Thanks for posting Richard,

I really should have waited, I bought the non-magnetic SLR version only 3 months ago.
Coincidentally, this is precisely the solution I needed yesterday. I took a quick portrait of my niece and I had no way of elevating the flash! - I posted a rather hideous picture in this Forum under the 'family and kids' section...

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 04, 2010 13:29 |  #3

Cham_001 wrote in post #10301116 (external link)
Thanks for posting Richard,

I really should have waited, I bought the non-magnetic SLR version only 3 months ago.
Coincidentally, this is precisely the solution I needed yesterday. I took a quick portrait of my niece and I had no way of elevating the flash! - I posted a rather hideous picture in this Forum under the 'family and kids' section...

My pleasure. A pretty good solution all in all.

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.com (external link)

GilesGuthrie
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 04, 2010 14:43 |  #4

I'm hoping to be able to confirm that this works with a 580 soon!

Blipfoto (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link)
Canon EOS 1d X, 1d MkIII, 5d. Gear List

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 05, 2010 08:51 |  #5

I haven't tried my 580EXII and a flex on it yet - but my guess is the joints won't hold, but the magnets will!

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 05, 2010 11:22 |  #6

joints will not hold and the flash will sag if wrapped around a pole. (580 exII user + gorillapod) if the flash is leaned against the pole with say a strap around it, it will stay in place.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

GilesGuthrie
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 05, 2010 18:05 |  #7

It's do-able, just.

IMAGE: http://giles-guthrie.com/i/misc/1d3-19649.jpg

This is a 580EX II and a PW TT5 clinging to a domestic radiator. The shot isn't quite clear enough that none of the rig except for the magnets is in contact with the radiator. I think you could do some angling of the flash head with some careful positioning of the legs. To get this shot, it was about balancing the load as best as possible so that if the joints started to collapse they didn't move the flash so as to exacerbate the collapse.

It would certainly work in Rich's "clinging to a light" scenario above.

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 06, 2010 00:27 |  #8

Nice one Gi. That's really neat, the load must be around 600g or so? Not bad for something rated at 325g!

GilesGuthrie
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 06, 2010 03:37 |  #9

No idea. My kitchen scales are screwed!

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 06, 2010 04:45 |  #10

Just dug out our kitchen scales. The 430, flex, batteries and stand weigh 605g. The 580, flex, batteries and stand weigh 695g!!!!!

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 06, 2010 13:07 |  #11

I know you can push your setup to stay in this position, but in my opinion i wouldn't risk it. (this being said from someone who does alot of crazy diy stuff: diy diffusers, portable batteries, white balance cards, using older flashes in the hotshoe, 3rd party batteries, triggers... etc.)

The only way this would be stable is if the flash is supported from the base of the gorillapod.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 06, 2010 13:40 |  #12

c2thew wrote in post #10312653 (external link)
The only way this would be stable is if the flash is supported from the base of the gorillapod.

I've used it numerous times over the weekend suspended by the magnets from metal light fittings. It hangs down, but I can direct it no worries using the head.

I have to say that the magnets have been rock solid. I've used the 430 rather than the 580.

sponsored links

2,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gorillapod Magnetic (Review), 430EXII and FlexTT5
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.