Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 05 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 01:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

B+W kasserman 77 mm CLP Slim or not?

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jun 05, 2010 01:27 |  #1

I am mainly using the circular polarizer on Tokina 11-16/2.8 and Canon 17-55/2.8IS. I just spent almost $200 on the slim version. But do I need a slim for those lenses, especially on the UWA?

Also does anyone know if the regular version has thread for lens cap? The plastic cap came with the slim version is not tight enough to hold in place safely. If the regular version has thread for cap and it works well with 11-16, I would probably exchange mine with it.

Thanks.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links
rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Netherlands
Jun 05, 2010 06:08 |  #2

A non-slim B+W CPL does not vignette at 17mm on full frame. Considering the crop factor of your 7D, it should not vignette at 11mm on that body either.

And yes, the regular version will take your standard lens cap.

Just curious, why do you ask this after you already bought the slim version?

Roy

nonick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jun 06, 2010 22:45 |  #3

Thanks. I thought the plastic cover came with the lens would stay on but it did not. I was planning to put screw-on ND or GND filter with the CPL and that's why I got the slim version. But since now the plastic cover is not staying on safely, I would prefer using the regular version so I can put my lens cap on. Thanks for your help.

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008
North Carolina
Jun 06, 2010 23:12 |  #4

I have the Hoya HD and Hoya Pro1D circular polarizers. The Pro1D has a 5 mm ring and front threads. Works great with UWA lenses. On my 40D and 10-22, it did great above 13-14mm. Some banding below that depending on the circumstances. Below is this filter with more info at the site I bought mine from, 2filter. The 77 mm is $110 there.

http://www.2filter.com​/hoya/hoya_pro1_digita​l.htmlexternal link

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

nonick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jun 06, 2010 23:21 |  #5

DANATTHEROCK wrote in post #10315423external link
I have the Hoya HD and Hoya Pro1D circular polarizers. The Pro1D has a 5 mm ring and front threads. Works great with UWA lenses. On my 40D and 10-22, it did great above 13-14mm. Some banding below that depending on the circumstances. Below is this filter with more info at the site I bought mine from, 2filter. The 77 mm is $110 there.

http://www.2filter.com​/hoya/hoya_pro1_digita​l.htmlexternal link

Thanks for the info. I miight buy my ND and GND with 2filter.com. Many members here recommended them. I am looking at the Lee brand and the Hitech brand. But I will need to do more research before making a decision.

I will probably just exchange the CPL with the regular version from B&H tomorrow.

Anyone have experience with the B+W kasserman 77mm CPL with a screw on ND on UWA? Any problem?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Jun 07, 2010 10:00 |  #6

FWIW the standard F-Pro (non-slim) B+W filters do no vignette on a full frame at 16mm.

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

1,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
B+W kasserman 77 mm CLP Slim or not?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.