Thread started 06 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 18:13   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,367 posts
Metro Manila
[MORE/SHARE]

i'm currently using a shoulder bag, the crumpler 7MDH.

normally, it's perfectly fine as i go from house to car to destination, but there are days that i have to carry it around for a few hours. as such, my shoulder would start to complain.

question is, will a sling bag with the same gear inside improve the shoulder weight problem as compared to the shoulder bag seeing that both only use one strap?

i'm looking at the tenba shootout medium sling.

the lowepro flipside would be best, but of course, we need the smallest bag that can fit the gears so i wouldn't look like i was camping/hiking in the mall.

Post #1, Jun 06, 2010 18:13:33

camera bag reviewsexternal link
flickrexternal linkgearLust

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ecub
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
1,487 posts
Southwest suburbs of Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

A sling bag will help a little, but eventually, the weight would cause a problem as well. Have you considered a backpack?

Post #2, Jun 06, 2010 18:27:42

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

duane0524
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
4,839 posts
South of Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

mike cabilangan wrote in post #10313835external link

normally, it's perfectly fine as i go from house to car to destination, but there are days that i have to carry it around for a few hours. as such, my shoulder would start to complain.

question is, will a sling bag with the same gear inside improve the shoulder weight problem as compared to the shoulder bag seeing that both only use one strap?

i'm looking at the tenba shootout medium sling.

the lowepro flipside would be best, but of course, we need the smallest bag that can fit the gears so i wouldn't look like i was camping/hiking in the mall.

I did not like the sling at all and actually found it quite uncomfortable after a few hours walking around Disney. It could the point where I just hung it over one shoulder.

I use the 6MDH most of the time and picked up a fastpack 200 for when I need to carry more. It has the sling feature, carries much easier than the sling and the 200 is MUCH smaller than the 350 that I bought first. I chose the 200 over the 250 as I don't need to carry a laptop and I preferred the slightly smaller size.

Post #3, Jun 06, 2010 18:42:24

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,755 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a Kata torso bag and it's odd, yes, but very comfortable. I carry it in front or back and it is excellent for getting the gear in and out. The only problem is that it looks like armor.

Post #4, Jun 06, 2010 18:43:51

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

EcoRick
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,863 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I never felt comfortable with a shoulder bag for any length of time. I use a bunch of Domke bags that I've extended the straps so they act as sling bags and I can move them around my back to adjust the weight. With any weight in them or walking for some distance, they get uncomfortable as well. The only option I've found that works with weight and walking distance is a backpack. I wanted a small size that can carry a reasonable amount of equipment so I opted for the ThinkTank Streetwalker. I would rather bring that and not worry about leaving equipment behind because I'm worried about weight or comfort. When I purchased the 1Ds, I purchased the Streetwalker Pro. I couldn't find anything else I liked better.

Post #5, Jun 06, 2010 19:10:10 as a reply to post 10314039

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

sponsored links
ZCphoto
Joined Apr 2010
426 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

EcoRick wrote in post #10314133external link
I never felt comfortable with a shoulder bag for any length of time. I use a bunch of Domke bags that I've extended the straps so they act as sling bags and I can move them around my back to adjust the weight. With any weight in them or walking for some distance, they get uncomfortable as well. The only option I've found that works with weight and walking distance is a backpack. I wanted a small size that can carry a reasonable amount of equipment so I opted for the ThinkTank Streetwalker. I would rather bring that and not worry about leaving equipment behind because I'm worried about weight or comfort. When I purchased the 1Ds, I purchased the Streetwalker Pro. I couldn't find anything else I liked better.

Standard streetwalker? How do you like it? After trying slings (Incase, two Katas, Lowepro) I thought I'd try some backpacks. The streetwalker seems small enough for normal use but the HD and SW Pro are tempting (though probably too bulky for regular use).

Post #6, Jun 06, 2010 19:16:31

Robert
5D MKII I 1D MKIII I 7D I G11 I S90
gear list

sales feedback

tgamron
Joined Dec 2007
302 posts
Shanandoah Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

mike cabilangan wrote in post #10313835external link

This is the reason I got a backback. You really want a pack with a waist belt if plan on wearing it all day.

Post #7, Jun 06, 2010 19:19:37

Canon G11
clickexternal link or clickexternal link
http://www.gamron.comexternal link

AlanU
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
4,548 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a lowerpro flipside 400 and I absolutely love the capacity. In your situation its not ideal.

I can put the waist strap on and when I pull the camera out I take the shoulder straps off and rotate the bag infront of me like a table. The waist strap is used like a pivot and holds the bag out like a table. I open up the bag and grab my gear. NO need to put the bag on the ground.

I can lug a 70-200, 85L, flash, batteries on my waist using a thinktank modular belt system. My camera w/ 35L or 24-70L is on my side using a spider holster system. I can go out all day with that setup.

Post #8, Jun 06, 2010 19:31:23

5dmkiii |5DmkII x 2 | 5Dc | 24LmkII | 35L |50mm f/1.4 | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 |580 EX II x2 | 430EX II | AB cybersycns | PW FlexTT5x4 | AC3 | Einstein's | Cybercommander | Vml's | PW Power MC2

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,367 posts
Metro Manila
[MORE/SHARE]

ecub wrote in post #10313912external link
A sling bag will help a little, but eventually, the weight would cause a problem as well. Have you considered a backpack?

yes i have, i'd consider a backpack that was similarly sized as the tenba sling bag (and capacity)

duane0524 wrote in post #10313994external link
I did not like the sling at all and actually found it quite uncomfortable after a few hours walking around Disney. It could the point where I just hung it over one shoulder.

I use the 6MDH most of the time and picked up a fastpack 200 for when I need to carry more. It has the sling feature, carries much easier than the sling and the 200 is MUCH smaller than the 350 that I bought first. I chose the 200 over the 250 as I don't need to carry a laptop and I preferred the slightly smaller size.

i used to have a sling bag, and iirc it might have been painful on the shoulder as well. bad memory on my part.

SuzyView wrote in post #10314001external link
I have a Kata torso bag and it's odd, yes, but very comfortable. I carry it in front or back and it is excellent for getting the gear in and out. The only problem is that it looks like armor.

do you have a picture? with your gear in it? (i'm looking for a bag that can switch between one body with big telephoto (at least 12" with body attached and lens hood reversed) or two small kits.

EcoRick wrote in post #10314133external link

thanks, i'll look into the streetwalker pro as i'd need one that can fit a gripped body. hopefully the model is available locally.

Post #9, Jun 06, 2010 20:02:21

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,755 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I can fit my 5D2 with 24-70 attached and the 70-200 2.8 IS, lens alone in that bag.

Post #10, Jun 06, 2010 20:03:51

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
14,060 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I had a Fastpack 200 and got rid of it mostly because I needed something that I could switch lenses in without having to put it down. I also found it to not be sufficiently well added, for my use. I got a ProMag2 which serves me very well.

I recently got a 6 MDH for when I don't need to drag as much stuff with me and I can assure you it holds more than the Fastpack did, if you do not consider the top compartment. Not as deep, though.

I am a little pissed with the 6 MDH, and myself,... the second day out with it, my 135L fell out on a tile floor and bounced around quite a bit (the hood was on). Surprisingly the lens works perfectly, no elements were knocked out of place BUT the mount is very stiff going on/off the camera. Time to send it in.

Post #11, Jun 06, 2010 20:29:39

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,367 posts
Metro Manila
[MORE/SHARE]

i think the thinktank streetwalker pro is at the forefront of my choices, it's only downsides are: price (184USD over here) and i'm not sure if it (with it's limited dividers) can carry TWO gripped bodies with lenses.

anymore suggestions? :)

i think i have way too many bags ... i'm starting to feel like a girl.

im sure the waist bags are the most comfortable, but i don't think there's one that's pushing 15-16" width :)

options in order of priority:
1) thinktank streetwalker pro (pros: backpack comfort, size .... cons: price, two cam questionable)
2) tenba shootout medium sling (pros: price, very compact, perfect two cam bag .... cons: might be shoulder painful)
3) lowepro flipside 400 (pros: price, size, backpack comfort ... cons: ugly)

Post #12, Jun 06, 2010 22:15:56

EcoRick
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,863 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

If you need to lug around 2 pro bodies, the SW Pro probably won't work. Better start going to the gym!

Post #13, Jun 07, 2010 08:02:57 as a reply to mike cabilangan's post 9 hours earlier.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

plucks
Joined Aug 2008
240 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

Lowepro compuday pack is a nice size bag for your laptop / gear / camera.

Post #14, Jun 07, 2010 08:34:56

Flickrexternal link - Served Daily! < Check it out! external link
5DMII

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,367 posts
Metro Manila
[MORE/SHARE]

EcoRick wrote in post #10316940external link
If you need to lug around 2 pro bodies, the SW Pro probably won't work.

how do you mean it won't work?

Post #15, Jun 07, 2010 08:50:46

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
shoulder bag vs. sling bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES