Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 09 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 16:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to Calibrate a 70-200 F4

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Jun 09, 2010 16:11 |  #1

First, I don't want to start up another one those "pilot error" threads. I don't need people telling me I'm wrong here, I know what I'm doing and my 70-200 F4 clearly and consistently back focuses. I also believe that IF I can do it myself, I'll do a better job than Canon as I give a %$@* and I have my body to use for the process.

My question... Does anyone have any PDFs, photos, links, etc. as to how to calibrate the lens yourself?
I'm strong, I'm brave, I can handle it. :p

I've already calibrated my XT body for my EF400 f5.6 (front focused) and it's working great but this has somewhat exacerbated the focus issue with the 70-200 (back focusing). Until I get a 7D, down the road, I'd like to get all my lenses working in harmony with my XT.

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
Dereksalem
119 posts
Joined May 2010
Jun 09, 2010 17:36 |  #2

not sure how to do it, but I'm actually pretty sure that when you send a lens to canon for calibration they also request you send the body along with it (they calibrate them together). I'm almost 100% positive on this.

corndog ­ cabernet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Jun 09, 2010 17:49 |  #3

Dereksalem wrote in post #10333669external link
not sure how to do it, but I'm actually pretty sure that when you send a lens to canon for calibration they also request you send the body along with it (they calibrate them together). I'm almost 100% positive on this.

Makes sense but I still want to do it myself, if I can. What's the old adage? If you want something done right, yada yada....

See, I'm kinda fussy 'bout this stuff and I'm thinking what if it comes back improved but not great? Do I send it back for round two? Understand it's all on my dime as well for the lens is 6 years old.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,456 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Jun 09, 2010 17:59 |  #4

corndog cabernet wrote in post #10333728external link

The only way is to send your lens (and possibly the body) to one of Canon's service centers. They use proprietary software - and probably optical alignment hardware - to do the job.

I'm fairly certain that the process involves writing a table of data to the lens' electronics as a result of the procedure.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

corndog ­ cabernet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Jun 09, 2010 19:50 as a reply to SkipD's post |  #5

I had read something like this before and you sound pretty convincing Skip. Still, with all the attention this gets and all the geeks out there it wouldn't at all surprise me if there were a hack.

Since I'm unlikely to send an otherwise good working lens to Canon for a fix that may or may not be to my satisfaction, I'll sit tight and maybe a better answer will come along.
BTW one of the reasons I'm a little cynical about this is that I spent 70 minutes on two different occasions with two different people in tech support at Canon recently and both acted like they'd never heard of anything like this before. In retrospect, I wonder if they would have been as ignorant had I said I had a 50D or 7D? Two cameras that let folks like me calibrate the body to their lenses ;)

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jun 09, 2010 23:48 |  #6

talking to the tech support is a different group then the tech repair people. most the threads I see regarding having the actual repair people fix the problem is usually good results.

I'm sure a hack would be hard to come by as these lenses have been out since the late 80's by now and yet still in 2010 it hasn't happened yet. it's quit a bit different then just a little screw adjustment in the XT mirror box area.

even with the 7d and the microadjust there is still no promise that your 70-200 will focus correctly at that point as you can microadjust it to work at lets say 70mm but now at 200mm it's out of wack.

so you might have some luck with this sure but honestly I think your best bet as much as you would prefer not is to get the lens over to canon.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

sponsored links

2,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.