Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #16
lsuber

Default Re: Windows 7 (64bit)

I've had zero trouble with it on my new build as well. it even has run an older version of Corel's WordPerfect Office suite (X3 I believe it is). Runs PhotoShop and Lightroom just fine. No trouble with printer drivers, or any other drivers for that matter.

I would say you should check into the problems a little more, plan ahead for a major OS change like this (especially moving to 64-bit for the first time), and ask some questions here or somewhere before declaring that Windows 7 sucks.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #17
DisrupTer911
Goldmember

LOL funny post

I've been running Win7 64 bit for nearly a year now.
My biggest issue is with FireFox 3.x.x crashing constantly on my desktop and running perfectly fine on my laptop.

Everything else, just works.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #18
jacuff
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
Honestly, what are you talking about. I've been running Win 7 64 bit for a while and have yet to find an application that won't run.

CS4 64 bit is great too...
Applications generally aren't the problem. They typically run fine under WOW64 or via XP Mode (W7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate). Drivers are the biggest issue, especially under 64 bit Windows.

For example, the 1D Mark IIN would require 2 drivers, USB and Firewire. The USB driver is a generic one so it works fine in 64 bit Windows, but the the firewire one is specific and needs to be provided for by Canon. Since Canon choose not to support a 64 bit driver, you would not be able to use EOS Utility with the 1D Mark IIN under Windows 7 64 bit.

Another example is I was refreshing several older laptops with Windows 7. They all used the Intel 855GM onboard graphics chip, which does not have WDDM drivers. (Vista could use XPDM drivers, but Windows 7 does not.) The easiest work around was to use a program called DriverMax to force install the drivers in Windows 7.)
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #19
BluewookieJim

Ummm yeah... about that....

Been running Win7 64 bit, ran the RC for ages, and have been running the full release on both my notebook and desktop with no REAL problems.

Ok, so my 20D won't work with EOS utility for tethered capture... but that's on Canon for not providing an updated driver, not an OS problem.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #20
rdsmith3

I've been using Windows 7 64 bit for about two months and every app works fine with it -- even CS3 -- except for Quicken 2006.

EDIT: I forgot that the Spyder monitor calibration device does not work with it.

The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (Matt. 6:22-23)
rdsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #21
MaxxuM
Goldmember

Any OS that try's to support ten year old software, uses a highly complex registry system and has thousands of company's building software/hardware for it with no 'checking' standards is bound to have problems. Add to this the fact that it's the most popular malware magnet and users typically do not know how to maintain it... Well, it would be mathematically inevitable that something will eventually go wrong.

For those that say "It isn't Windows 7 fault..." Who cares? If any other company used that as an excuse why their product performed poorly it would eventually go out of business. The only reason Windows survives is because it captured the market early, is cheap, his highly hackable (thus free for some) and businesses are unable to do without.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #22
BluewookieJim

So when Adobe apps drop support of PowerPC chips is that Apple's fault?
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #23
5Dmaniac

Win 7 64 bit runs great on both my laptop and my desktop. I had no problems at all to calibrate my NEC display with Spectraview II. I am not sure what you are talking about - something is not right with your system.
5Dmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #24
midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."

I think that 7 is a breath of fresh air after using vista. Just my opinion though. I only have CS4, portrait pro, photomatix and LR3 on mine though so I haven't had any issues. Hope you get it all worked out.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #25
jacuff
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
So when Adobe apps drop support of PowerPC chips is that Apple's fault?
Or when Apple drops PPC support from Snow Leopard.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #26
weeatmice

I have Win7 64bit with 8gb of RAM. Actually it was slow in the first day or so after install (maybe it was indexing or somthing) IE was also buggy. After that, its the smoothest home pc I've ever used, and windows 7 just works in so many ways where WinXP is a pain in the ass. I have WinXP ready in a virtual machine anyway.

That said, I wouldnt put it on even slightly old hardware, and test it any place you a have a must work requirement.

Last edited by weeatmice : 15th of June 2010 (Tue) at 15:09.
weeatmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #27
Moppie
iKirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxuM View Post
Any OS that try's to support ten year old software, uses a highly complex registry system and has thousands of company's building software/hardware for it with no 'checking' standards is bound to have problems. Add to this the fact that it's the most popular malware magnet and users typically do not know how to maintain it... Well, it would be mathematically inevitable that something will eventually go wrong.

For those that say "It isn't Windows 7 fault..." Who cares? If any other company used that as an excuse why their product performed poorly it would eventually go out of business. The only reason Windows survives is because it captured the market early, is cheap, his highly hackable (thus free for some) and businesses are unable to do without.

Your two paragraphs contradict each other.

The problem is not with Windows 7. It is very stable, very reliable and very secure. It is easily the best OS Microsoft has ever produced.

The problems people experience come from Hardware and software not being fully compatible with Windows, or not being very well developed causing instabilities and other issues.
This is not Microsoft's fault, and there is very little they can do about it.

Microsoft tried to create a more controlled environment, and wanted to enforce registration for all software that would run under Windows 7.
But consumers, developers and the odd trade commission kicked up so much noise that Microsoft backed down.
Developers still have the choice of getting their products registered for use under Windows 7, but consumers still have the choice of installing non-registered products as well.

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?
Moppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #28
b.han

I've been using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 since the early beta days and aside from minor driver issues, it's been fantastic. Photoshop CS3 runs like a dream.
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #29
tim
Light Bringer

I use Windows 7 64bit at work, using just basic stuff like office, thunderbird, firefox, basic image viewers, but also running VMware and inside that I run multiple VMs running Linux. The machine has been rock solid and I like using it (latest gen quad core Xeon chip 12GB RAM). Haven't tried Photoshop or anything, and won't.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #30
oomus

+1 with no problems on 64 Bit Win 7 and CS4
Has not crashed in over a year of use.
and I agree hardware that has drivers designed for 32 bit OS' or were poorly written may struggle with the new architecture in 64 bit Win 7 due to drivers that are not 100% compatable. without updated drivers it may be a crap shoot.

Also my Spyder 3 elite works flawlessly with it as well
oomus is offline   Reply With Quote