Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #1
hdd

Default 50d settings(sharpness/saturation)

just curious, but do any of you edit those settings on the camera in the user modes? I added 1 click to sharpness and saturation on mine.

I tried to edit the standard mode for the wife when she uses it, but in auto it always overrides it. Not a huge deal to me since im always in TV, AV or M mode.

but i was curious to what most have theirs set on or if you do all the work in editing
hdd is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #2
hdd

Default Re: 50d settings(sharpness/saturation)

oh, i mainly shoot jpeg mode so thats why I ask.. i know in raw you can edit it yourself
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #3
lankforddl

I wouldn't personally do it "in-camera". The two options that you mentioned are available in DPP assuming you're shooting RAW.

USMC Semper Fi.
lankforddl is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #4
TGrundvig
Goldmember

I don't know, I shoot in RAW and so changing the settings in the camera are the same as changing them in DPP. I guess the best test would be to set everything at the default setting, take a shot with the camera on a tripod, then change the sharpness, take a shot, etc. Then, look at all the images and see the difference. I know the sharpening slider in DPP works well for jpeg images but I'm not sure if it equates to the same as changing the setting in the camera. But, a few sample images will tell you right away.
TGrundvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #5
lankforddl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdd View Post
oh, i mainly shoot jpeg mode so thats why I ask.. i know in raw you can edit it yourself
In my opinion, You should really shoot RAW if you want the most flexibility from your 50D. JPEG does not capture as much detail and looses information every time you modify or save the JPEG file on a PC.

USMC Semper Fi.
lankforddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #6
TGrundvig
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankforddl View Post
In my opinion, You should really shoot RAW if you want the most flexibility from your 50D. JPEG does not capture as much detail and looses information every time you modify or save the JPEG file on a PC.
Agreed! Also, try adjusting the 'exposure' on a jpeg image. It is night and day from a RAW image. Once you get confortable with RAW you will never go back to jpeg. At least, I haven't.
TGrundvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #7
Erik_L
Goldmember

I, when shooting JPG, use the custom option. I base it off of faithful and set the sharpness to +2. It's worked out well for me.
Flickr
Erik_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #8
bauerman
discount on value meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_L View Post
I, when shooting JPG, use the custom option. I base it off of faithful and set the sharpness to +2. It's worked out well for me.
Ahh - the first actual answer to the OP's question - celebrate! The rest are the token RAW devotees that cannot see past their "unmodified files".

I don't have a 50D - but with my 30D I prefer the Neutral setting and then sharpness set 2 clicks from the top setting and saturation and contrast bumped up a couple of notches as well. I sure do get some "spanking" photos out of camera this way and I don't ever open DPP!
bauerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #9
MGiddings Photography

When on holiday and just shooting for pleasure I set to standard and + 2 on sharpness gives me what I want for prints.

Photography Blog
MGiddings Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #10
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Whatever you choose in the way of camera processing is a matter of personal choice.. There is no wrong or right selection..

Although I shoot RAW I use User Def 1.. Sharpness 3, the rest 0.. Occasionally I'll drop the contrast to -1 if the lighting conditions are bright and contrasty.. I leave saturation at 0..

DPP will default to these setting once the image is opened..

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #11
hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogestee View Post
Whatever you choose in the way of camera processing is a matter of personal choice.. There is no wrong or right selection..

Although I shoot RAW I use User Def 1.. Sharpness 3, the rest 0.. Occasionally I'll drop the contrast to -1 if the lighting conditions are bright and contrasty.. I leave saturation at 0..

DPP will default to these setting once the image is opened..
thats what I figured.. I bumped that sharpness and saturation up one click under that setting and im very happy so far. My images seemed to lack a little sharpness and saturation so it seemed to get the results I wanted. Im picky as hell though, so thats why I ask. I may try raw soon.. I just hate editing and saving in jpeg to show pictures from that day quickly. Im sure once I got the hang of it, it wouldnt take long.. thanks everyone
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #12
Jim_T
Goldmember

FWIW, you can post process JPEG images... You can sharpen after the fact and adjust levels, contrast, brightness and saturation. You don't quite have the same versatility as RAW, but In many cases, post processing JPEG images gives you more control than messing around with camera settings.

What photoediting program are you using?
Jim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #13
hdd

im using Gimp right now.. I have a pretty good handle on that for adjusting curves and so forth.

I shot a few in raw and I will need a faster PC before editing those. Im having trouble now with just the 5-6MB images and this machine running slow.

But thats the only editing software I have other than Picasa 3 for simple color changes. I used the canon software to DL and edit the raw pictures. I can see a different though in detail, but its a 11mb image also LOL
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #14
hsmoscout

I shoot in faithful, everything at 0
Old 16th of June 2010 (Wed)   #15
itzcryptic

I think the Picture Style you choose also effects how much sharpening etc is added. I Shoot Standard with the sharpness at 5, contrast at 0, color tone at 1, and saturation at 1. So ,standard mode is 3,0,0,0 and I shoot at 5,0,1,1.

I shoot RAW and change the pictures as needed, and I may tweak the settings eventually, but since I use DPP to process my RAWs, it gives me a starting point.
itzcryptic is offline   Reply With Quote