Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #1
AWGD8

Default Hobbyist motivation?

I got my first DSLR (Xsi w/ kit lens) last Aug. 2009 and decided Photography as a hobby. After 5 months, I sold my first kit and got a used 5Dc and 24-70L.

I normally post my pictures on Facebook for my friends to see and It`s a good feeling when people appreciate your work, even though you are not getting anything ($$$) in return. Last week I thought about quitting this expensive hobby, and just get a point and shoot cam. I`m tired of having pictures sitting on my computer and consume more space.

Last week I tried Alamy, Getty , Istock and all failed. I did try Alamy again after a few days and this time they accepted my images. Now I can contribute and possibility of few $$$ , but I don`t expect much. I feel better having this option than just saving my pictures on the hard drive.
I wonder if some people here that is a hobbyist, will this motivate you or you`ll just quit?
Had: 5Dc , XSi , S95, Fuji X10, Sigma 30mm 1.4/ 50 1.4 , 85 1.8, 24-70L , 24 LII 1.4,

Last edited by AWGD8 : 18th of June 2010 (Fri) at 16:23.
AWGD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #2
JS4KIKZ

Default Re: Hobbyist motivation?

My motivation comes from different editing techniques. I know, sounds strange but I like trying to combine different methods to keep things feeling new. Just try to be a little bit different from the next "guy" and see how that motivates you.
JS4KIKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #3
spkerer

Why did/do you want to take up photography as a hobby?

Sounds straightforward, but that's what you need to answer for yourself. Is it to make $$$? Is it to have show off your photos to others? Is it because everyone else seems to be getting a DSLR? Is it just to shoot what you want and enjoy? Is it to exercise your artistic side?

When you answer that for yourself, I think the answer to your question may become more apparent.
http://photos.kusterers.net/fire
spkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #4
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

Sometimes I try and experiment with a whole new technique to remotivate myself, like this or this as an example of my more recent experiments.

Don't give up until you've tried a few new things.
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #5
AWGD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS4KIKZ View Post
My motivation comes from different editing techniques. I know, sounds strange but I like trying to combine different methods to keep things feeling new. Just try to be a little bit different from the next "guy" and see how that motivates you.
That`s what I did before, I played around with PP. It`s a hard sometimes for people to accept obvious PP work. If you look at my Zenfolio site, the first few pictures are from my own PP experiment. Although, mostly it`s a landscape. But, for most hobbyist, how do you know when you achieve the Pro level? or if you have that distinct style?

There are ups and downs to Photography, but as a hobbyist, it`s a lot easier to walk away bec. nothing is dependent on you. What am asking is how do you keep that fire burning? As some people here mentioned about PP work.
Had: 5Dc , XSi , S95, Fuji X10, Sigma 30mm 1.4/ 50 1.4 , 85 1.8, 24-70L , 24 LII 1.4,

Last edited by AWGD8 : 17th of June 2010 (Thu) at 13:36.
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #6
JS4KIKZ

I believe you're a pro when you believe you're a pro...along with getting paid (and having other people copy a style you may have created or improved upon.) You sound like someone who is extremely critical about your own work, which can push you in a direction to improve your skills exponentially or give you a type of "writers block" for photographers. When one style of photography gets boring, try something different (i.e. if you do a lot of landscape, switch to portraits, or lifestyle, or some type of city-scape) Just my $.02 cents
JS4KIKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #7
AWGD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkerer View Post
Why did/do you want to take up photography as a hobby?

Sounds straightforward, but that's what you need to answer for yourself. Is it to make $$$? Is it to have show off your photos to others? Is it because everyone else seems to be getting a DSLR? Is it just to shoot what you want and enjoy? Is it to exercise your artistic side?

When you answer that for yourself, I think the answer to your question may become more apparent.
There is a point in time where showing off your images to friends becomes a routine and does not give yourself anymore motivation. I think, I started this hobby to prove to myself if I have a distinct eye for photography. I may not as good technically, but the angle or "eye" is not learned but an instinct.
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #8
chammer

I do it for fun. That's enough motivation for me. Over the past year I've been paid a total of two times which would have barely covered the cost of a little 50mm 1.8, but I don't care. I have gotten into doing AKC dog shows thanks to my girlfriend, and I noticed that the pro's that get contracted to take pictures only take the winners shots. As far as I know I'm the only non-pro taking the shots I take wherever I go with her. Maybe one day that will make me money to support this hobby, but I surely won't depend on it nor will I give up if that doesn't happen.

I disagree with your statement about not being able to learn to get that eye, however. Those that do not have it initially are at a distinct disadvantage, however, after picking up the technical bits which are quite easy the focus can then be shifted to learning proper composition and learning to see things differently. It takes time, but it can and does happen for some.
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #9
paddleout

I have had photography as a hobby since the 80s. In the late 90s it became a job then I stumbled into a career elsewhere and took a hiatus for about 7 years but the advent of digital made it a much cheaper solution to start up than in the film days so I started again. With the loss of our 19 year old son and two of our neices the importance of having family photos consumed me and now I shoot everywhere and anything involving any of my family. Sharing those images through flickr, facebook and other ways has now lead to a steady stream of word of mouth business that keeps me busy and motivated.
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #10
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart

I do it because I enjoy it.

Even my paid shoots, I get at least some level of joy out of it. Otherwise I would quit.

It's NEVER only about the money. Not to say it's wrong to get into photography for the money, but the less the passion/joy for photography the sooner you will burn out, especially if you aren't seeing the returns.

While it's certainly nice to get compliments from folks who may look at my work, it's certainly not anything I need to sustain my passion for photography.

Perhaps you shouled re-evaluate why you got into it. If it's for money, then yeah, just quit. If you are just frustrated at where you are at and you genuinely have passion for it, then there's still some hope. Sometimes these things take a little time.

You'll exercise patience if you think it's worth it. Having the passion for it makes it easier.
nicksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #11
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

I do it for the chicks.

Ok, no, not really. There aren't too many chicks around where and when I shoot. ha.

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #12
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
I do it for the chicks.
Ok, no, not really. There aren't too many chicks around where and when I shoot. ha.
Hmm...I would have thought chicks would love camera geeks, no?
nicksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #13
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Maybe they do, I don't know any chicks though.

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #14
juanpac0

I generally take up hobbies in which I can see the result of my efforts.

Fitness - you can totally see the difference, and it's obvious to others, even if you notice it more slowly.

Cars - I've invested tons of money into my car to make it handle better, go faster, etc.. I do all of the work myself. I can see the results of my efforts in the cars, and others can too if I were to give them a ride.

Photography - I haven't invested nearly as much as I have into the car, but I enjoy it just the same. Taking pictures and realizing my vision for each picture I frame (like mentally frame, not on the wall) is totally worth it, and people really appreciate and respect my photos it seems, so that's an up side. Improvement in this hobby is more noticeable to me when it's not a huge leap (I get better at how I use lighting, I get better at choosing the right aperture for a shot, I start noticing how focal length affects aperture, etc...) than others, but if I showed anyone the pics I took when I first started compared to how I take them now, they would definitely be able to point out many things I am doing right now that I wasn't before.

I am always trying to see self improvement, and improvement in the things around me. I try to be that change so these hobbies kind of made sense to me. That's why computers used to be one of my hobbies but no longer interest me.

5Dc + XTi /w 18-55, 50 1.8, 28-135, 85 1.8
juanpac0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2010 (Thu)   #15
AWGD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpac0 View Post
I generally take up hobbies in which I can see the result of my efforts.

Fitness - you can totally see the difference, and it's obvious to others, even if you notice it more slowly.

Cars - I've invested tons of money into my car to make it handle better, go faster, etc.. I do all of the work myself. I can see the results of my efforts in the cars, and others can too if I were to give them a ride.

Photography - I haven't invested nearly as much as I have into the car, but I enjoy it just the same. Taking pictures and realizing my vision for each picture I frame (like mentally frame, not on the wall) is totally worth it, and people really appreciate and respect my photos it seems, so that's an up side. Improvement in this hobby is more noticeable to me when it's not a huge leap (I get better at how I use lighting, I get better at choosing the right aperture for a shot, I start noticing how focal length affects aperture, etc...) than others, but if I showed anyone the pics I took when I first started compared to how I take them now, they would definitely be able to point out many things I am doing right now that I wasn't before.

I am always trying to see self improvement, and improvement in the things around me. I try to be that change so these hobbies kind of made sense to me. That's why computers used to be one of my hobbies but no longer interest me.
I also invested so much money on cars before and gave it up. Modifiying cars to me was fun back then , but in the end tons of money went in the drain...
Photography seems a bit better bec. I can recyle my gears and lose a little $. If I buy an expensive glass or body today and sell it after 5 months, the loss is minimal , it`s like renting the gears and buy another one.

BTW, taking pictures of nice chics seem to be a good motivator! I dig that! But heck, how do pretty chics see us from their point of view?
(I guy with a pair of glass and a nerdy lenses and body? with 2 buck teeth?)