Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #1
3oh6

Angry hockey you say?? almost...

well i got a call yesterday afternoon from the university asking if i could do a photo shoot for promo stuff for the upcoming season, i say sure, jumping at the chance to shoot a sport again. the next question was if 7:30 would work? oh yeah, 3 hours notice is just perfect . anyway, i went and did what i could but let my mistake be a lesson for others. when asked to do a promo photo shoot, demand to pick your own location, make sure you have time to plan what you want to do, and the time to talk with the folks to know exactly what they want.

if you don't, you will hate yourself in the morning and make yourself look bad in the process..

notice the different colors in the lighting, not my idea of fun to try and work against...

once again, ugly ice color on the right hand side...

almost acceptable...

angles you will never get during a game...

the university is happy with the shots from the day, but i was plenty pissed off that i agreed and didn't force them to give me a week to scout my own rink with more favourable lighting. that and i had no idea what they wanted for shots so i just winged it, i definately didn't come off as a professional on the ice because of this. oh and despite the university being more than pleased with the shots, they are all crap!!!

at least i got to shoot something other than the product shots that i have been doing to eat this summer

don't make the same mistakes as me!!!

Last edited by 3oh6 : 31st of July 2005 (Sun) at 09:38. Reason: i suck at typing early in the morning
3oh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #2
DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?

Default Re: hockey you say?? not quite but soon...

So, where's the video? Hey, if Gmen is a 'quality photo whore', then what's that make the rest of us?
DwightMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #3
3oh6

that's a question that might get answered some day with the perfect comment. all i know is that when will made that comment it was the most perfect statement at the time. gavin probably dropped a couple threads in a row of jaw dropping footy on a dead day or something and i couldn't have agreed more with the comment, so it gets airtime in my sig for a while yet
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #4
ShannonG

Hey Jody,

Can u share with me how you are getting those crisp stunning images on the ice. I'm new to photography and live in northern ontario. I would like to get the stunning images on the hockey rink as you. I've tried last year during hockey season and consistently keep getting grey, dull ice surface...ahhhh I've tried numerous setting. Can u share with me what setting on your camera your'e using. I currently have a Canon 1D Mark II, 580 speedlite, Signma 200 mm f/2.8, Canon 18-40 mm f/4.0, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 24-105 mm f/4.5 lenses...
ShannonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #5
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

3oh6 - I think you are being way too hard on yourself. Given the notice... and conditions, you seem to have done fine. As to the red on the ice, since there is no red anywhere else, you should be able to desaturate it without an issue. I find shooting "setup" stuff really hard - I like to shoot live action. The images are sharp.. and the probably fill their need. Don't beat yourself up over this - things can go a whole lot worse.

Last edited by Croasdail : 31st of July 2005 (Sun) at 16:20.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #6
guitarman

Hockey rinks are not great places for lighting. I don't know which arena you could have scouted that would have the ideal lighting. I grew up in arenas and I watched my son grow up playing hockey. I 've taken many shots in an arena, mostly with point and shoot digitals and the pictures are terrible. Even editing software can't fix them. Last year I had a chance to use my Digital Rebel with the kit lens and still they did not turn out well. This year when I'm on the ice with my mens league I will have my wife try some shots with my 20D and my soon to be new 70-200 F2.8. I will also have a 580EX. I'm not sure if flash will help as that is something I will be learning.
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #7
3oh6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonG
I've tried last year during hockey season and consistently keep getting grey, dull ice surface...ahhhh I've tried numerous setting.
you can see from my signature that my arsenal of gear is limited, yesterday i stuck with the 85 f/1.8 for everything except the couple of close ups which were done with the 28 f/1.8 and me laying on the ice...those two lenses are my homeboys and go everywhere with me. the camera i use is the infamous 20D.

as for settings, i shot all day yesterday in Av mode with the aperature set to f/2.2 (some purple fringing shows up at f/2 in arenas with the 85) and a compensation of +1 stop, ISO 1600. i wanted to make sure i was exposing for the dark jerseys. the +1 exposure comp. tricked the camera into overexposing so the players jersey and face would be properly exposed and everything else would get slightly blown out when it was adjusting the shutter speeds. this is the key to getting 'pretty' ice, overexpose the heck out of it . with white hemlets its a bit of a risk and you will notice i have a big loss of detail there, but i can live with it. i used a grey card to figure out correct exposure and WB in the 4 corners of the rink while the guys were dressing, yes gavin, a hand held meter will be coming this year i hope.

normally i would have metered individually for each shot and shot manual, controlling everything but time restraints (i only had 45 mins of ice time) made me work quick on my feet and i had to rely on the camera to adjust shutters for me. for the shots of the guys shooting i turned the ISO down to 800 to get the camera to get slower shutters so you could get a small sense of motion.

i hope that helps a little, if not, ask away and i will do my best.
Old 31st of July 2005 (Sun)   #8
3oh6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croasdail
3oh6 - I think you are being way too hard on yourself. Given the notice... and conditions, you seem to have done fire. As to the red on the ice, since there is no read anywhere else, you should be able to desaturate it without an issue. I find shooting "setup" stuff really hard - I like to shoot live action. The images are sharp.. and the probably fill their need. Don't beat yourself up over this - things can go a whole lot worse.
your right mate, i am being a little hard on myself, but i know i am waaaay more capable than what came out. setup type shots are easy i find, i know the sports i shoot so well that i can direct the players in a manner that the shots come out like they were in game situations, but i agree, nothing compares to shooting live action...nothing.

the guys did well yesterday and i got some 'game-like' faces out of them despite them not ever meeting me prior to the time they stepped on the ice. i am pleased with the way the players look in the shots given the extreme lack of organisation on the universities part.

the university is happy but they would have been happy had i shot with a video camera and used still frames taken from that thanx for the pep talk though, the shots really aren't that bad, but if you stop critisizing yourself then you become complacent and that shows up in shots in a hurry.
Old 1st of August 2005 (Mon)   #9
gmen
Goldmember

I like 'em - a lot. Given the amount of notice you had, I think these shots should qualify for the 'photo quality whoring' seal of approval. Whatever that may be...

--- Gavin

Last edited by gmen : 1st of August 2005 (Mon) at 04:24. Reason: Add smilies thingmies
gmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2005 (Mon)   #10
3oh6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen
I like 'em - a lot. Given the amount of notice you had, I think these shots should qualify for the 'photo quality whoring' seal of approval. Whatever that may be...
--- Gavin
woah woah woah...let's not start talkin all crazy-like here Gavin. sure i made out alright within the circumstances provided, but they certainly are not to the quality we see in every single one of your threads and far from the 'quality photo whore' level you have attained.

that said, if i get the seal of approval from the 'essex photographer of the year that posts on the POTN forum as voted on by me just now', then my season is off to a good start...cheers
Old 2nd of August 2005 (Tue)   #11
drisley
"What a Tool I am"

3oh6,
I have to say these are realy great! I LOVE the wide angle shot with the goalie. The 28/1.8 really holds it's own against the 85. Btw,you mentioned the 85/1.8's only weakness... strong fringing at apertures under f2.5 in some circumstances.

I think you nailed the WB, and the problem with the "red" areas is a VERY common one in hockey rinks. I get the exact same thing. It's all that damn mixed lighting. I didn't even notice the overexposed helmets until you pointed it out because I was admiring the perfect exposure of the uniforms. Very good job indeed.

You are so lucky to be able to be on the other side of the glass. I hate how much shooting thru plexi degrades the shot.

This is great practice for the upcoming season! I can't wait to get into the rink this fall. I have contemplated getting into shape and lacing up the skates myself. But then again, I may have more fun with the camera

drisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2005 (Tue)   #12
tabrandt

Well, I must say that I only wish my 'crap' shots could look this nice.
Canon 70-200 F2.8 L
Canon 50 1.8
Tamron 90 2.8 macro
tabrandt is offline   Reply With Quote