Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 23 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 14:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

strike 1 for canon service center in Irvine on my lens repair

booja
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Jan 2008
houston, tx
Jun 23, 2010 14:30 |  #1

so a while back i had a little issue with my 85L with the AF slowing down when i point the camera straight up. i guess the motor was weak and couldnt push the front element out. but when the camera is facing forward it would work 100% full speed and locked in perfect every time.

it seems my AF is beginning to go out and some others say the same. so instead of having it fail when i most need it ill go ahead and send it in to get repaired since im not really using it right now.
1 1/2 weeks later i get it back from canon. quite fast! it says AF USM failure. causes autofocus to not work properly at times. AF USM replaced, checked, cleaned, and calibrated.

i get it back and it looks clean. had some dust behind the rear glass thats now gone. i mount it on the camera and WOW... THE LENS AUTOFOCUSES IN CHOPPY JAGGED MOVEMENTS, WHEN IT DOESNT DO THAT IT GOES REALLY REALLY SLOW, LIKE 30 SECONDS TO GO FROM MFD TO INFINITY. AND IT DOES NOT LOCK ON TO ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! also when at infinity the barrel starts to retract on its own slowly going back to mfd all on its own.

wow now it doesnt work at all... its completely useless. called them up and theyre sending me a label to ship back. at least theyre gonna try to repair it again. hope it works this time

sponsored links
lyttleviet
537 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Jun 23, 2010 14:41 |  #2

ive had bad luck with canon service too :(. it always takes 2 times... and recently I blew a metal piece out of my 5D that wasn't supposed to be there.. It didn't affect or scratch anything but still, QC = none @ Canon USA.

www.opulentphotography​.comexternal link

christoph33r
160 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Scotland
Jun 23, 2010 14:44 |  #3

booja wrote in post #10414020external link
so a while back i had a little issue with my 85L with the AF slowing down when i point the camera straight up. i guess the motor was weak and couldnt push the front element out. but when the camera is facing forward it would work 100% full speed and locked in perfect every time.

it seems my AF is beginning to go out and some others say the same. so instead of having it fail when i most need it ill go ahead and send it in to get repaired since im not really using it right now.
1 1/2 weeks later i get it back from canon. quite fast! it says AF USM failure. causes autofocus to not work properly at times. AF USM replaced, checked, cleaned, and calibrated.

i get it back and it looks clean. had some dust behind the rear glass thats now gone. i mount it on the camera and WOW... THE LENS AUTOFOCUSES IN CHOPPY JAGGED MOVEMENTS, WHEN IT DOESNT DO THAT IT GOES REALLY REALLY SLOW, LIKE 30 SECONDS TO GO FROM MFD TO INFINITY. AND IT DOES NOT LOCK ON TO ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! also when at infinity the barrel starts to retract on its own slowly going back to mfd all on its own.

wow now it doesnt work at all... its completely useless. called them up and theyre sending me a label to ship back. at least theyre gonna try to repair it again. hope it works this time

And if they had just taken the time to stick it on a body and do a quick test before they sent it back, they'd have saved a lot of time and money.

Chris

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Joined Nov 2009
USA
Jun 23, 2010 14:57 |  #4

I never had any problems with Canon service Centers and I have used all three. Just relax - may happen sometimes. How are you so sure that they did not try it before they send it to you?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

booja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Jan 2008
houston, tx
Jun 23, 2010 14:58 |  #5

christoph33r wrote in post #10414107external link
And if they had just taken the time to stick it on a body and do a quick test before they sent it back, they'd have saved a lot of time and money.

i wish they did. i mounted it on mine and knew right away something was not right when i pressed the af-on button. it would have saved the trouble of sending it there and back again.

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007
USA!
Jun 23, 2010 17:07 as a reply to booja's post |  #6

Have them recalibrate the lens CPU. This happens when the base frequency of the oscillator is out of spec. Very jagged and choppy.

I've had other lenses do this too but they were about 15 years old. Oxidation tends to creep in with the small variable resistors. Can't be helped as it's the nature of the beast.

sponsored links

1,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
strike 1 for canon service center in Irvine on my lens repair
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.