Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 28 Jun 2010 (Monday) 11:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LensAlign Pro Plus Calibration System...my experience

PicSniper
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Northern Cuba........(a.k.a. Southern Miami)
Jun 29, 2010 18:33 |  #16

+1 for LensAlign Pro! I'm also a do-it-yourself kind of person, so I'd rather mate the lenses to my camera body myself, rather than send anything to Canon. After all, having the MA function in the menu just begs for it to be used, right? :)

Hello, my name is Victor.
My Gear List

sponsored links
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 29, 2010 19:50 |  #17

+1 for Lens Align!

Really good post, glad you have your gear dialed in. I know LAP it has saved me a lot of frustration.

Hatch

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
Jun 30, 2010 04:46 |  #18

Thanks everyone for the feedback and confirmations.

Invertalon, yes you can use it. I just did mine with the 50D yesterday in my basement. I used the 25x focal length to calibrate mine. I don't think it's necessary to use the 50x focal length and I confirmed it with my 500mm on Sunday with bird photography and I got some beautiful shots of the Great Blue Heron and Green Heron way beyond the 50x distant. So don't be afraid to experiment.

When you get it if you have any ? just let me know.

Invertalon wrote in post #10449855external link
I just bought one from someone on here today, the Pro model (used once)... Can't wait to see how accurate my own methods are. Very curious!

I hope the standard ruler can be used with my 300 + 1.4x TC... The website said I could, time will tell!

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Jun 30, 2010 06:20 |  #19

Thanks you for your writings.
Going to save this page for when I have MAA on my camera.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jun 30, 2010 06:45 as a reply to JelleVerherstraeten's post |  #20

Here's some more info for you that will cut down your time.

IMAGE: http://www.whibalhost.com/_ss/lensalign/lensalign_dof_distance.jpg

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Chris11
178 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Eastern Washington
Jun 30, 2010 20:59 as a reply to post 10449855 |  #21

Nice write-up Methodical.

I'm a little surprised at the price though. Can't one use a simple well defined ruler for front/back focus, and save a bundle, or am I missing something?

Thanks, Chris

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007
CA
Jun 30, 2010 21:02 |  #22

Chris11 wrote in post #10456773external link
I'm a little surprised at the price though. Can't one use a simple well defined ruler for front/back focus, and save a bundle, or am I missing something?

Curious to that myself...

Nobody cares about your gear list...

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Panaca, NV
Jun 30, 2010 21:08 |  #23

Agreed, LensAlign simplifies the process, for a dear price. Looks like a person could fabricate something from a yardstick?

Jim

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jun 30, 2010 22:37 as a reply to jemanner's post |  #24

Yes the price has been a sore spot for many. I was one until I got tire of messing around with my DIY method. There have been several discussions about the pricing of this kit over at FM - many think it's overprice, yet a good tool, and some didn't mind spending the money, myself included, because we got tired of the trial and errors. I for one just really don't have a lot of time to be trying to build one of these things. I just needed one to get things done.

I've seen some nice DIY kits floating around here (claimed cost of $15)and on the net but they were little small kits and used mostly for the shorter focal length lens (i.e. 35mm, 50mm etc.) These were of no use to me for testing focus accuracy on my 300, 400 and 500 lens that I used with the 1.4 and 2x tc. So I just forked over the money and there's no more guess work on my part and less time fooling around.

I tried to find one of the DIYers but couldn't. If you find any info please share it.

Take care

Chris11 wrote in post #10456773external link
Nice write-up Methodical.

Thanks, Chris

Jeffro250 wrote in post #10456793external link
Curious to that myself...

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Boston, MA
Jun 30, 2010 23:38 as a reply to Methodical's post |  #25

I've heard of rental places that rent out monitor calibration tools; is it possible to rent this system somewhere?

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jul 01, 2010 00:30 |  #26

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #10457689external link
I've heard of rental places that rent out monitor calibration tools; is it possible to rent this system somewhere?

http://www.lensrentals​.comexternal link :)

http://www.lensrentals​.com/rent/lensalignexternal link

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Jul 01, 2010 06:00 |  #27

The perpendicular target is the key, not the yardstick. The yardstick measures where the DOF lands, but has no part in placing the DOF. This is where most DIY methods miss the boat. The LA Pro design, when set up and used correctly, eliminates user error (if at all possible), and produces the results to MA with. It is a measuring instrument, with the incumbent development and manufacture costs, produces clearly and reliably the desired results, so it's worth the money. It's not a rip off, but if people think they can do it just as easily, precisely and hassle free themselves, let 'em try, but don't **** about the cost of the LA solution cause all things considered, it's worth the price to many.

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Cleveland, OH
Jul 01, 2010 06:23 |  #28

I personally think it is funny to hear people with $4000+ in glass complain about a $100 item to be honest. And honestly, you can buy a used one and sell it for little, if no loss... Get it, check all your lenses and sell... Kind of like a "rental" service without the strings :p

This is a tool that is built to properly align the sensor plane to the target and give you a very clear visual display to reference. Sure, you can build you own but it will take longer and the accuracy may willl not be as close. I had my own "MA rig" that I used but honestly, it took a long time... I am curious to how my methods will stack up against Lens Align though... If my own methods are accurate, I will have no use for this item... If not, the lens align is totally worth it.

I just think if I buy expensive glass, I want it to be properly calibrated to my body for focus. I want the best, sharpest possible focus I can get. Even a little off can look much different.

Mine arrives tomorrow but going out of town shortly after. I may be able to get one lens tested though :D Have to try it out at least!

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Jul 01, 2010 07:14 |  #29

One thing I noticed when I first got my LA kit was that I started off with all the accumulated frustration and anal projections, all of which were just in the way. The minute I dropped all that, shifted to the KISS approach, watched the LA videos and just did it, it was easy.

One thing Canon finally cleared up in the 7D is the MA "forward" and "backward" logic twist of previous bodies. So simple in the 7D, icon of the camera on the left end of the scale and an icon of mountains on the right end with O in the middle. Brilliant, too bad they didn't think of that earlier.

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jul 01, 2010 07:25 |  #30

Invertalon, I checked the accuracy of my DIY method with LA and my DIY method was way off. Hell I may provide the service to local photographers. But, I agree you can sell it but what happens when you get the new lens or new body; for me it's piece of mind and I did not mind spending the money to get my lens tightly focused. I don't plan to sell mine. I'd love to test the accuracy of the DIY builds against the LA.

This is a free world and I respect others opinions as just that. Hell it's like the price of Canon's grip or batteries; some try the knock offs and realize it ain't cut'n it - sometimes you just gotta bend over you know.

Peace

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

20,412 views & 0 likes for this thread
LensAlign Pro Plus Calibration System...my experience
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.