Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 28 Jun 2010 (Monday) 11:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LensAlign Pro Plus Calibration System...my experience

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
Jul 01, 2010 07:27 |  #31

Are you the John from FM discussing the LA back in '08 and '09?

Also, do you have a picture of the 7D icon on the camera you speak of? I can't visualize it. Never mind I think I got it. Also what does KISS stand for?

Thanks

John_T wrote in post #10458943external link
One thing I noticed when I first got my LA kit was that I started off with all the accumulated frustration and anal projections, all of which were just in the way. The minute I dropped all that, shifted to the KISS approach, watched the LA videos and just did it, it was easy.

One thing Canon finally cleared up in the 7D is the MA "forward" and "backward" logic twist of previous bodies. So simple in the 7D, icon of the camera on the left end of the scale and an icon of mountains on the right end with O in the middle. Brilliant, too bad they didn't think of that earlier.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Cleveland, OH
Jul 01, 2010 07:28 |  #32

Oh for sure, I totally agree... I highly doubt my method will be all that accurate to warrant selling the LA :p

I plan to keep it just for that very reason... New lenses or bodies I get down the line. Plus, if it makes it easier I am all for it.

And yes, the 7D does have the "camera/mountain" reference for microadjust, which makes it less confusing than "forward/backward".

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Jul 01, 2010 08:05 |  #33

Methodical wrote in post #10458981external link
Are you the John from FM discussing the LA back in '08 and '09?

Also, do you have a picture of the 7D icon on the camera you speak of? I can't visualize it. Never mind I think I got it. Also what does KISS stand for?

Thanks

Probbly. :D

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jul 01, 2010 12:24 |  #34

I read the thread with Michael Tapes over there and a noted a few guys giving him grief about his pricing model. The thread was locked down - you know why?

I thought that's what KISS stood for but could not get the last 'S'. I agree no need to do anything fancy; set it up take the shots, evaluate, adjust go back inside kiss the wife and kids and get some sleep, eat, watch tv or whatever floats the boat.;)

John_T wrote in post #10459138external link
Probbly. :D

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Cleveland, OH
Jul 06, 2010 07:26 as a reply to Methodical's post |  #35

Today I am going to get to use my Lens Align to do a few of my lenses. It arrived Friday but was gone for the holiday :p I must say, it is much higher quality than I expected (I guess for the price, though). I can't wait to test it out and see how close/far my lenses are from where they should be.

I will show my results later on today. :D

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jul 06, 2010 07:34 |  #36

Be sure to post them here too. Thanks

Invertalon wrote in post #10485060external link
Today I am going to get to use my Lens Align to do a few of my lenses. It arrived Friday but was gone for the holiday :p I must say, it is much higher quality than I expected (I guess for the price, though). I can't wait to test it out and see how close/far my lenses are from where they should be.

I will show my results later on today. :D

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Jul 06, 2010 08:08 |  #37

Personally, I think the Lens Align is grossly overpriced (ridiculously so). This isn't that tough to do. I think there is an element of if you price it high enough someone will think that makes it that much more useful.

Teamspeed's targets work just as well and cost $15. You can easily duplicate (not that this is particularly original work - it's sort of obvious) this with common household objects.

I've borrowed one and found it no better than using DIY methods.

That all said, I'm a big sucker for gadgets but this one didn't even hook me.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Cleveland, OH
Jul 06, 2010 08:19 |  #38

You know, looking closer at the Lens Align, the quality is the reason for the cost. It is really well made with features that make it better than do-it-yourself methods. I do agree buying it NEW at $149/179 is a far stretch, but if you buy it used the value is not that bad. I got mine for $115 shipped, which I feel is excellent.

The big benefit, is the sensor plane alignment. Making sure your sensor plane is perfectly aligned with the target so your DOF ruler will show the exact DOF. This is difficult to do with any DIY method, this accurately.

Second, is the ease of use. I played around with it quickly on Friday and it is nice to setup, align and test your lens within minutes. I did not fully "test-drive" it yet, but I just know it will be superior to any battery or target test alone.

Sure, the cost may be a bit high... But like I said, it is high quality. I was surprised at the integrated magnets for the degree of the ruler and slide gate for aligning the lens from behind. Most of this stuff you do not see or hear about unless you own it.

I just feel, personally, if you can afford many L lenses and multiple bodies $100 should NOT be a stretch on your budget. Buy it used, calibrate and sell it off for little to no loss. You do not HAVE to hold on to it. But it would be nice to know all your lenses are perfectly adjusted. Just my opinion!

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Jul 06, 2010 10:55 |  #39

Quality materials, well engineered, precisely made and excellent packaging.

... professional job, and it does the job without a lot of screwing around.

Including shipping, customs and whatnot, I paid almost three hundred bucks. What's that, a couple of good dinners for two? 40-50k in photo gear, worth it in my book. Dunno what all the hen cackle is about.

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jul 06, 2010 11:55 |  #40

Is this the John from Fred Miranda? I respect your opinion...no problem. I just have one question, did you use the little small $15 DIY kit for a 500mm lens with a 1.4 and 2.0tc where you have to set up 80-160' from the target? If so what were the results? The 500mm lens' DOF alone dwarfs the entire $15 DIY kit including the ruler. So while it may be ok for 35mm, 50mm etc. it does me no good with my long lens.

Can you post a link to the DIY thread so folks can see for comparison?

Thanks

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10485227external link
Personally, I think the Lens Align is grossly overpriced (ridiculously so). This isn't that tough to do. I think there is an element of if you price it high enough someone will think that makes it that much more useful.

Teamspeed's targets work just as well and cost $15. You can easily duplicate (not that this is particularly original work - it's sort of obvious) this with common household objects.

I've borrowed one and found it no better than using DIY methods.

That all said, I'm a big sucker for gadgets but this one didn't even hook me.

J.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Jul 06, 2010 13:21 |  #41

Methodical wrote in post #10486508external link
Is this the John from Fred Miranda? I respect your opinion...no problem. I just have one question, did you use the little small $15 DIY kit for a 500mm lens with a 1.4 and 2.0tc where you have to set up 80-160' from the target? If so what were the results? The 500mm lens' DOF alone dwarfs the entire $15 DIY kit including the ruler. So while it may be ok for 35mm, 50mm etc. it does me no good with my long lens.

Can you post a link to the DIY thread so folks can see for comparison?

Thanks

Tell you what. Use it for your 500mm $6000 lens (forget the 1.4 and the 2.0 TCs even). For the other 99.95% of lenses, forget it. Although using a good long meter stick or other long scaled rod would work just fine as well. This is not a complicated process and I'm not sure why everyone tries to make it so. You need a high contrast focus target mounted as close to parallel to you sensor as you can get it and you need a ruler (also high contrast, easier to read) that spans your DOF. That's it - it's not a big deal.

I did use my(?!) method (aim at a target with stick at a slight angle so you can see the gradations) with a meter stick at 30 and 40' with a 300mm lens with a TC (420mm). Worked just fine. Works fine on all my other lenses too (17-420mm including TCs). I'm very happy with the results. If I had a 500mm lens, I would have tried that too - and I'm sure I'd have been successful.

Again, this is not magic nor is it complicated at all.

$180 for a focus target and ruler? Then add another $70 just for a longer ruler? I can't get over it, I'm sorry - I just can't. At $25 or even stretching this to $50 I might feel differently.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Cleveland, OH
Jul 06, 2010 17:39 |  #42

I just did my first lens with my Lens Align - the 135L.

I had it set from my own tests at +9 MA... After testing with LA, it is still +9.

With the 1.4x TC on, I had it at +9 MA... After, it was +7. I knew it had to be different, but I could never get it right. LA showed it pretty clearly.

Working on my 300L now... Have it at +4 with my own tests... It is now at +1. Doing the adjustment with the TC shortly.

So far, the lens align is fixing what my other methods have not done as accurately. I am happy :D

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Jul 06, 2010 21:43 |  #43

Well I'm happy for you. You saved some money and saving money is always a good thing. I decided to spend some money...spending money can be good too - can't take it with me. We are going to disagree on the worth of this product. Some things are worth more to others than others. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm content with LA no matter the cost.

Peace.

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10487058external link
Tell you what. Use it for your 500mm $6000 lens (forget the 1.4 and the 2.0 TCs even). For the other 99.95% of lenses, forget it. Although using a good long meter stick or other long scaled rod would work just fine as well. This is not a complicated process and I'm not sure why everyone tries to make it so. You need a high contrast focus target mounted as close to parallel to you sensor as you can get it and you need a ruler (also high contrast, easier to read) that spans your DOF. That's it - it's not a big deal.

I did use my(?!) method (aim at a target with stick at a slight angle so you can see the gradations) with a meter stick at 30 and 40' with a 300mm lens with a TC (420mm). Worked just fine. Works fine on all my other lenses too (17-420mm including TCs). I'm very happy with the results. If I had a 500mm lens, I would have tried that too - and I'm sure I'd have been successful.

Again, this is not magic nor is it complicated at all.

$180 for a focus target and ruler? Then add another $70 just for a longer ruler? I can't get over it, I'm sorry - I just can't. At $25 or even stretching this to $50 I might feel differently.

J.

Can you post some shots?

Invertalon wrote in post #10488686external link
I just did my first lens with my Lens Align - the 135L.

I had it set from my own tests at +9 MA... After testing with LA, it is still +9.

With the 1.4x TC on, I had it at +9 MA... After, it was +7. I knew it had to be different, but I could never get it right. LA showed it pretty clearly.

Working on my 300L now... Have it at +4 with my own tests... It is now at +1. Doing the adjustment with the TC shortly.

So far, the lens align is fixing what my other methods have not done as accurately. I am happy :D

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Jul 06, 2010 23:11 |  #44

It's rather funny listening to people say it's only $170. I had a Nikon 20mm 2.8 ais lens for sale at $200 including shipping which is a great price and I got so many offers at $190 or $185 it made me chuckle. On the one had we say $170 is nothing compared to the price of the lenses and on the other hand we try to insult me by trying to get my lens for $10 less.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Cleveland, OH
Jul 07, 2010 06:15 |  #45

Methodical,

I did not save my test pictures, but today I am finishing my calibration on my 300+1.4x TC and doing one final "review" check on my 135L and Sigma 30 and will post before/after photos up if I remember to keep them!

For one thing, the Sigma 30 is quite hard to microadjust... Very little consistancy to its focus. I can take five shots in a row and 2 will be front, 2 will be back, and 1 will be nowhere close :p I was doing testing indoors by this time though (light on the target for focus and such) so will confirm this outdoors to make sure it just was not me! My test shots afterward (MA from 0 to -2 after LA) look promising though!

For the 300+1.4TC I think I had a bit too much distance from target to lens for the normal ruler... The DOF was tricky to spot. Got to move it in 5 feet or so and re-check today.

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

20,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
LensAlign Pro Plus Calibration System...my experience
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.