Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of June 2010 (Wed)   #1
XiolaBluX

Default Memory Card for SX20 IS Question

I just purchased the SX20 IS and the online store called me and said I need to use a class 10 card in the camera. I'm pretty sure he is full of you know what but can anyone confirm that a Class 4 (which I have and us in my S3 IS) or 6 will work just as good. I don't plan to do a lot of fast continuous shooting since they camera doesn't really excel at this anyway. I'm not a professional. Thanks.
XiolaBluX is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of June 2010 (Wed)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Memory Card for SX20 IS Question

He's just trying to upsell you. Canon recommends in the SX20 manual that you use Class 4 or faster.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of June 2010 (Wed)   #3
XiolaBluX

Thanks. I've only ever used Sandisk. What other brands are comparable? Is Transcend decent? They seem to be a lot cheaper.
XiolaBluX is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of June 2010 (Wed)   #4
Combatmedic870

Just stick with what you know and what works for you =)

No reason to ruin a good thing!

I dont think you will ever need faster then a class 6 for a point and shoot.
Sometimes, I think Photography is worse than Crack.

Last edited by Combatmedic870 : 1st of July 2010 (Thu) at 00:08.
Combatmedic870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2010 (Fri)   #5
dmo580

Unfortunately in the case of SD cards, the class is meaningless. I've seen Class 4 microSDs write at like 17-18 MB/sec. That's Class 4, but it might as well be Class 10 or 14 or 16.

You really have to look at it on a case by case basis. From what I've seen the Transcends aren't fast enough compared to the Sandisks. They ARE fast enough for your camera, but significantly slower than the Sandisk Extremes.

I have a Transcend 16gb SDHC Class 6 for my T1i. It's decently fast.

That said, Transcends are good in general. Their fast CF cards are fast. 400x or 600x actually matters, and I've seen benches of them doing quite well. In fact my own 400x Transcend 16gb CF card is lightning fast. It definitely can compare with the Sandisk 60MB/s and the new Photofast cards.