Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > People
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of July 2010 (Mon)   #1
kgauger30

Default Kate-Senior 2011!

This is Kate one of our 2011 Senior Reps. We are trying to make this program work so we hand picked some very outgowing people this year. C&C is welcomed! Thanks so much! The firetruck one was fun, although I really don't like my pics with it, my partner who was shooting(nikon) turned out better. I was a little distracted LOL!!!
Kim

kgauger30 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of July 2010 (Mon)   #2
Muskydave22

Default Re: Kate-Senior 2011!

Just some CC.

#1 and #3 are probably the strongest of the series, although #1 needs some light in her eyes and oversaturated colors in #3.

#2 looks like a snapshot and she doesn't look very interested.
#4 is pretty far overexposed, and I am guessing that's why you put it to black and white to try and save it.
#5,6 and 7 need some better light, I can tell you are using a speedlight on camera based on the catchlights in the eyes, very harsh shadows behind your subject, not flattering at all.
and #8 is soft and the WB is off.

Just some things to work on, try getting that flash off camera it will work wonders for your pictures.

Dave
Old 5th of July 2010 (Mon)   #3
kgauger30

Thanks for the CC!

#2, was one of the first shots I took of her. She was still very nervous, her mom was still watching her. I just liked it, I don't know why?
#4 the original is not overexposed, it is the preset that I used in lightroom to get that look. it is actually the look I was going for.

I don't like the shadows either, but I had to use the flash.
#8 yes it is soft, I don't really like my firetruck shots, but I was using it to show how fun she was

How am I susposed to get it off camera? Where am I susposed to put it? Isn't that what the thing on top of the camera is for? (I'm not good with lighting yet, we usually use 100% natural lighting, however it was a VERY cloudy evening and just kept getting darker)
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of July 2010 (Mon)   #4
Muskydave22

Just get a light stand, a 43" or 60" convertible umbrella, and some sort of radio trigger, like Paul C Buff Cybersyncs, Pocketwizards, or the Chinese RF-602. Those triggers will let you trigger the flash off camera, which will make your pictures WAY better!

Dave
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #5
kgauger30

Hey Dave thanks, I have radio triggers will they plug into the side of the 580 exII? I haven't ever looked at it enough. Will that work for weddings too? Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try it out. How do you hook up the flash to the stand?
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #6
HappySnapper90
Goldmember

I think the last 2 photos have far too much contrast to be flattering for the subject: bright face and dark face.
HappySnapper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #7
Tawcan
Goldmember

#3 is by far the best out of the series, wish her eyes are a bit more focused.

How are you focusing? All these pictures look soft. Can't see any EXIF info so not sure if it's a shutter speed issue or misfocus, I'm assuming it's misfocus.

#1 Not bad but wish she's a bit more in focus and the B&W could pop a little bit.
#2 Looks like she was in the middle of posing.
#4 It's way overexposed it's ruining the pic. If you're using a preset in LR you can always tweak it afterward. Try reducing the exposure a bit and use the recovery tool if you shot in RAW.
#5 On-camera flash isn't all that flattering. If it was in focused a bit the pic would capture more interest.
#6 Again the shadow produced by on-camera flash is kind of distracting. The pose isn't the most flattering. Her dress is being pushed out, making her look bigger in the mid section than she is.
#7 Have the potential to be interesting but need to work on the lighting a bit more.
#8 Again very soft and WB is off. Looked like she was in the middle of a pose again.
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #8
blackcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySnapper90 View Post
I think the last 2 photos have far too much contrast to be flattering for the subject: bright face and dark face.

I concur!
blackcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #9
kgauger30

I used one shot focus with the square on the face for farther away pictures and eyes for close ups. I thought that is how you do it. From everything I have ever read I thought that is how it is to be done. I have always had problems with focusing and I don't know if it is the way that I am doing it, maybe I learned the wrong way?? Maybe it is the 7D or the 70-200 lens?? Any suggestions?
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #10
Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.

I applaud your wanting to learn more about it...but from your website you are charging for these types of pics. wouldn't you feel better knowing you could do a little better with them?

Many of the images appear soft to me, I Am not sure if it is due to lack of focus or downsizing for the web. Your posing is good, locations look great.

PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!!

Skrim17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #11
rjharris

I like #2 the best. If you're using a 7D and a 70-200mm one thing I really noticed on my similar set up was having problems with the soft focusing. Then I took the UV filter off and my image sharpness (quality) jumped way up. I was so disappointed with my set up until I took the UV filter off. I can't remember what type it was but my camera was happy to have it off.
rjharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of July 2010 (Fri)   #12
kgauger30

I don't use a filter on the lens, never have. I always had problems with quality with the filter on. I know the firetruck shot up top there is not and I don't like any of them(of mine), but like I said I posted that one to show how much fun she was. I make sure to change the focus point with EVERY different pose and shot. Is there something different I should be doing?? With the setup I have this shouldn't be a problem. Could be because they are all handheld shots. But I want to say it is because of the compression for web by photobucket. But I have no idea, or what is going wrong. That is one of the reasons I posted. It happens with my sports action shots as well. I will have the box on the face of the batter, and shooting in AI servo and when I go back to look, the face is OOF.
Old 9th of July 2010 (Fri)   #13
Skrim17

Does this happen with all of your lenses?

Old 9th of July 2010 (Fri)   #14
Skrim17

If it is only with the 70-200 you might need to have it calibrated by Canon. Search the forum for 'focus chart' and once you get one you can do some testing.

Do you know what your focus setting is on the 7D? Did you have the same problem with your 30D?

Old 11th of July 2010 (Sun)   #15
kgauger30

The 70-200 is 99% of the time on the camera and what I use. I never use the nifty 50 and rarely do I use the crappy kit lens that I have. Only in desperate need do I use that one. So I can only judge with the 70-200 lens I have. I can be shooting sports and one shot be in focus and the next one not at all. It jumps focus on me all the time. Also like I said I shoot on location and lug around town so I don't use a tripod, but my shutter speed is high enough that it shouldn't matter. And I dont drink caffine or smoke any more so no jittery hands

Does it cost anything to get the lens calibrated? Maybe I should have the camera looked at as well?? How long does something like that take? I have ALOT of things coming up and think I should get it done asap.