Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #1
commking

Default GPS on EOS DSLR- what are the options?

I have a Canon EOS 5D.

Canon make an accessory called the Canon WFT-E5A Wireless File Transmitter. This is a very expensive USB port adaptor for the camera, that then allows you to connect a GPS to the camera via USB.

I am at a loss what to do next - I have an iPhone with GPS in it, but apparently I am expected to buy an external GPS as well and connect it via USB to the WFT-E5A. I have seen elsewhere in these forums remarks basically saying you can't use the iPhone GPS.

I didn't really want a USB cable with a device on it dangling from my camera while I am shooting anyway. I am surprised there is not a neater solution?

If not, can someone point me in the right direction - is there a compact and neat way to get GPS onto my EOS 5D?

Thanks!
commking is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #2
commking

Default Re: GPS on EOS DSLR- what are the options?

Correction - i have a 5D Mark II, not a 5D.
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #3
monk3y
Totally Saturated

you could check this out:
http://www.phottix.net/shop/default.asp?product_id=1448

oooppss my bad...its for nikon models only.
Old 8th of July 2010 (Thu)   #4
m00g

I think you only need to use the iPhone as a GPS logger. If you sync the time (And date) on your iphone and 5dII, your computer will be able to match the EXIF data from the RAW files (the time the photos were taken), with the GPS data (time and position) on your iphone.

http://iphonephotovideo.com/2009/05/...r-dslr-photos/

An alternative approach would be as you suggested - to get a small GPS unit and do the above.

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vd3Q

Last edited by m00g : 8th of July 2010 (Thu) at 23:13.
m00g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of July 2010 (Fri)   #5
Cham_001

Welcome to the POTN forum 'commking',

At the moment the lack of technological convergence warrants the 'need' to invest in further gadgetry.

The 5Dii coupled with the WFT-E5A connected to the Garmin 60CSx is the 'neatest option'.
The GPS co-ordinates are 'implanted' within the EXIF data per shot taken.

Other solutions rely on:
1.> synching the camera clock with the GPS device clock
2.> ensuring that the GPS is activated for 'Logging'
3.> Software 'coupling' of the downloaded images to the GPS Logged records that match a geographical location to any point-in-time. This GPS time is 'matched' with the camera time of any specific images captured.

In itself, the above is not really a problem, you simply synchronise the Camera Clock settings with the GPS Clock. It just depends on what you need the GPS function to achieve.

I take photos on behalf of various estate agencies where I have to access remote geographical locations. As I take multiple shots of each location be it an apartment/house/plot-of-land/Ranch/Farm - and I perhaps visit 3-6 sites per day. It is easier, more reliable and more convenient for me to capture the GPS co-ordinates in the first instance.
Old 11th of July 2010 (Sun)   #6
commking

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

The really stupid thing here is that the 5Dii already has a mini USB port in the camera - but you need to spend another grand or so for another USB port.

Nikon has a great GPS that clips on for $300 or so, fully self contained, nothing else to buy. That's the way to do it.. Maybe Canon will do that someday.
Old 12th of July 2010 (Mon)   #7
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

I think that the power requirements of GPS chips are finally getting down to the levels where we'll see them in most cameras soon. Already most top-end mobile phones have them - but they do tend to chew up batteries.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of July 2010 (Mon)   #8
tgara
Goldmember

I have a GPS data logger that I keep in my bag or pocket during trips or shoots. It collects GPS location data during shooting. When I get home, I can download the .gpx file to my computer and use a software program to add GPS coordinates by correlating the time stamp on each photo with the time stamp of the GPS location data.

The GPS data logger is a Wintec G-Rays II. It is small, about the size of a box of matches, and costs only $89. I use HoudahGeo (for the Mac) as the computer program to tag my photos. There are other devices and other software programs, so look around on the web. The upside of this approach is that nothing is attached to the camera and the data logger can be used with any camera (handy if you have more than one camera on a shoot). The downside is that there are extra steps required to tag the photos but the software makes this pretty easy.

Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/WBT-201-Wintec...2&sr=8-2-fkmr0

http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/
tgara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of July 2010 (Mon)   #9
AtMostFear

Do you have an iPhone? this might be worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp1KCkItmf4
Old 12th of July 2010 (Mon)   #10
nekrosoft13
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by commking View Post
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

The really stupid thing here is that the 5Dii already has a mini USB port in the camera - but you need to spend another grand or so for another USB port.

Nikon has a great GPS that clips on for $300 or so, fully self contained, nothing else to buy. That's the way to do it.. Maybe Canon will do that someday.
That is the thing about Canon, they rarely innovate, mostly follow. Nikkon had GPS, WiFi enabled cameras for years. Canon tried WiFi camera once and failed, when the camera only did connected to printers with a large adapter, while Nikkon connects straight to the router.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #11
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

I use a Garmin eTrax HCx which I carry around on my belt. Then when I download my files (from multiple cameras), Downloader Pro reads the GPS track data off the GPS and all my photos are tagged. Works a dream.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #12
Sean

PhotoTrackr Lite is what I use.
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #13
Tdragone
Goldmember

I'm with Jon. I use an original Etrex (Not the H for high sensitivity or c for color version)
I use Gpicsync for getting thr gpx files into my exif and for creating .gpx files with my path in google earth with thumbnails embedded!) Gpicsync is free. The etrex are cheap on ebay!
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2
Tdragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #14
billblack

I use a GPS logger on my Motorola Droid, match up via software into sidecar files.
billblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of July 2010 (Tue)   #15
thedge

I have been using my Garmin 60Cx. It has a setting to log to a .gpx file on the memory card. This can be done based on time, distance, or just a generic frequency.

I have tried two different programs, I like both and they both work very well. GPicSync, and GeoSetter. Both are free, both have some different options. GeoSetter has more features and options, GPicSync seems faster to process the images.

You can also use any phone with GPS, just find a program that gives you a .gpx file, or a Google .kml file. I think both the above programs will take inputs from those files.

GPSBabel is also another handy free program, if you need to convert from different file types. Can also be used to download from GPS units. On my 60Cx, waypoint markers arent saved to the GPX file, only to its regular track log. GPSBabel will combine the two.

Beware that some phone logging programs might need a data connection on the phone to work, and that phones are always less accurate and have higher power consumption than a quality handheld GPS or one of the little loggers. My 60Cx will go for 20+ hours of high frequency logging on a pair of AAs, in addition to actual navigation use.

If you are an outdoors kind and take a lot of pictures while you hike, a dedicated handheld unit will always work better than a phone, with the mini trackers coming in second IMHO. Phones are a distant third (very distant in my experience). Ive tried using my Blackberry to log, it loses GPS reception as soon as a tree is nearby. The 60Cx will get signal lock easily in many buildings and under very heavy tree cover, since that is what its meant to do. The Gist logger posted above looks very nice, so the final decider will be what else you need a GPS for. I hike, camp and canoe a lot so the 60Cx makes more sense as I can use it for actual navigation.

Last edited by thedge : 20th of July 2010 (Tue) at 18:29.
thedge is offline   Reply With Quote