Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 11 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 15:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Switching from sigma 30 to 35L?

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jul 11, 2010 15:54 |  #1

I am currently using sigma 30mm on my 7D and it works great. It is my main lowlight lens. The lens has no focus issue after MA and it takes sharp pictures. But I am debating whether or not to upgrade to 35L as this is the lens I always wanted to buy.

Anyone did it and think you have made the right move? What made you switch? Do you think 35L focus faster and more accurate than the sigma counterpart? How about the color? Do you think the 35L pictures are more punchy vs. the sigma's?

I am not going to upgrade to full frame in any time soon as I like my 7D and still learning it's full capability. So, the switch has nothing to do with FF upgrade.

Thanks for your input.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links
JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Jul 11, 2010 17:51 |  #2

If you're happy with this lens performance, maybe you can invest first in some other stuff if you like.

I moved from the sigma 30mm to the 35L last week, because I'm planning to move FF in the near future.

It's up to you if you want to upgrade, but maybe there are some other things you could upgrade/buy.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Jul 11, 2010 20:02 |  #3

I don't think there is any question that the 35L is a better lens in most aspects, you just have to weigh the price difference with the quality difference, which I can't help with.

I could help by buying your Sigma 30mm 1.4 off you though LOL.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Websiteexternal link

nonick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jul 11, 2010 22:56 |  #4

Thanks guys. Anyone else can share with your opinion and experience? Thanks again!

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Bay Area
Jul 11, 2010 23:13 |  #5

If you like it I wouldn't upgrade. You can get other gear while you're at it.

My Flickrexternal link | Gear List

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Exton, PA
Jul 12, 2010 10:00 |  #6

I went in the opposite direction with focal length. I went from the Sigma 30mm (which I still have) to the Canon 24mm f/1.4L II. I was thinking about the 35mm but after walking around with my 24-105 at 35mm for an hour I decided it was too long on a crop for indoor shooting and that with 18MP I could always crop some off the 24mm. I also wasn't particularly fond of the idea of buying a lens that was released in 1998 when it might be updated before I moved to FF (if I ever do).

I do kind of miss how compact the 30mm is though.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblingsexternal link
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

nonick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jul 13, 2010 22:19 |  #7

Thanks guys. I am still looking into it. Really have the itch to get the L... I am actually in talk with some forumers for a 35L. Price of a used one is still on the high side. Possible buy it new if buying used copy doesn't save good money as Bing or Mr Rebate will take some off the price tag of a new one.
So, anyone had the experience of switching and is able to share? Thanks.

Jeff81
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Joined Dec 2008
SoCal
Jul 13, 2010 22:35 |  #8

Personally, I'd save the money. I've owned both. Is the 35L nicer? Yes. The focus was smoother and I liked the colors a little better. Ultimately, I kept the Sigma 30 over the 35L though. The difference in price wasn't worth it for me. Not even close. You have an excellent lens in the Sigma 30. I'd spend your money elsewhere.

6D | Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, Canon 85 f/1.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

nonick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jul 13, 2010 23:58 as a reply to Jeff81's post |  #9

Almost eveybody said no to the idea so far... maybe i should just focus on looking for a 70-200 2.8 MarkII instead...But ...Well guess I will still give the idea a try..

Combatmedic870
Goldmember
1,739 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Salem ,OR
Jul 14, 2010 00:22 |  #10

Ive considered moving to an L and get rid of the Siggy as well...the price is just to steep though! If the Siggy was 600 then it would be a little more to consider but for 400 its hard to beat it!

Nikon D700: 16-35 F4, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8,105 VR Micro, 135F2 DC, 80-200 2.8 AFS
Olympus XZ-1
,Ryan
Sometimes, I think Photography is worse than Crack.:oops:

40dbaby
516 posts
Joined Jul 2009
socal
Jul 14, 2010 01:13 |  #11

if you have a sharp sigma30, then its not worth it. color difference isnt off by much to matter, especially if you shoot RAW.

I have both, but I have FF thats why I got the 35L. I still have my sigma30 mounted on an old rebel xt in case the wife wants to use it.

I went through the same debate with the sigma50 and 50L when I switched to FF. Chose the sigma50 based on my experience with the sigma30.

Only an untrained eye can appreciate the sharpness of a lens...
5DII | Zeiss 50 MP | Sigmalux | 85 1.8 | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 100-400L | 580ex II | 430ex II

booja
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Jan 2008
houston, tx
Jul 14, 2010 01:18 |  #12

nonick wrote in post #10532241external link
Almost eveybody said no to the idea so far... maybe i should just focus on looking for a 70-200 2.8 MarkII instead...But ...Well guess I will still give the idea a try..

i would do this.

i have used both on a crop and they are so much alike. if you can MA and get it super sharp i would just keep the sigma. focus isnt even a noticeable difference. if you like that wide-ish look it has then keep it. 5mm can add alot on a crop.

if you plan on going to FF then yes get the 35L. i have a friend that has the sigma 30 1.4 and its a great lens. i have the 35L and he wanted to borrow it bc he thought because its L it must be better. he couldnt even tell the difference between the 2.

invest that extra 1000 you save in another lens.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jul 14, 2010 01:25 |  #13

I had both the 35L and the sigma 30. I got rid of the 35L. On a crop body, the image quality of the sigma is every bit as good as the 35L. If you have a copy that focuses just fine, then you are basically gaining nothing. I wouldn't even call it an upgrade... rather a wallet downgrade. In fact, my siggy 30 is so good that I still refuse to buy a 35L even though I also shoot 1.3 and full frame. Go fig.

But some people just want to have that red ring on their lens and are willing to pay an extra $1000 for it even with no image quality gain. If this is you, then buy the 35L; you won't be happy until you do. You could always paint the gold ring on your sigma to a red ring. :)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008
California
Jul 14, 2010 03:11 |  #14

^ I find it interesting that you have frequently knocked (50L) and overlooked (200L) primes in your bag, but none of the vaunted ones (35/85/135)...care to share your experiences?

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jul 14, 2010 07:26 |  #15

toxic wrote in post #10532886external link
^ I find it interesting that you have frequently knocked (50L) and overlooked (200L) primes in your bag, but none of the vaunted ones (35/85/135)...care to share your experiences?

There's nothing romantic with my lens choices, they are in my bag based purely on need. I need a 50 as that was my primary lens for 15 years before I switched to digital. I don't LOVE any of the 4 50mm choices, I just hated the 50L the least. The 50CM is too slow as a gen purpose 50, the 1.8 has terrible focus and nasty bokeh, the 1.4 isn't crisp and clear until you stop down to f/2 or so, and the L is heavy and has focus shift issues. Considering I use primes wide open EXCLUSIVELY (if I need to stop down, that's what zooms are for) I figured the focus shift wouldn't be a concern to me. And it is has fantastic image quality wide open.

The 200 2.8L is one heck of a beautiful lens with amazing image quality. But I got it purely for it's reach and weight. After years of holding up a 70-200 2.8 every weekend I developed back and shoulder problems that I now need treatment for every two weeks. The 70-200 isn't that big a deal to hold up for a few hours, but repeated over and over year after year, it takes it's toll and broke me down. For wedding reception shooting, I like to stay far away so the 135 didn't cut it. Since I use flash, IS was of no benefit to me. My back is much happier with the 200L.

The 85L is too goofy of a lens in my opinion. It's too big for it's own good. 85mm at 1.2 has so little DOF that it almost looks silly to me. It seems to have a counter-intuitive design where the DOF is so darn small yet the focusing is so darn slow that my keeper rate for candid shooting was horrible. It was fine for still people but as soon as they are moving it was blah. Considering the 1.8 is excellent wide open, has excellent focusing ability and speed, is small and very light, and costs like five times less for all this added performance, it was a no brainer which one to keep. The idea of having the 85L *sounds* romantic, but from a purely practical standpoint, it was a waste of my money. Yes it can get that odd shot that makes you go WOW, but I need thousands of consistent great shots, not one or two wow shots.

As for the 135L, I don't need one as using the 85 1.8 on my 40D is much like having a 135. One of the advantages of multi format shooting, and why I'd never move to a FF only setup. (again, something that sounds romantic but in practicality, having a crop gives you a heck of a lot more options)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

sponsored links

3,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switching from sigma 30 to 35L?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.