Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 12:48
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Good place to see Houston skyline?

53 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Jul 15, 2010 12:48 |  #1

I'm stuck in Houston for 6 more days so I'm trying to find some more locations for some photo ops

1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Kansas City, MO
Jul 15, 2010 17:38 |  #2

Go out to Main and Elgin. Clear view of downtown with no buildings in front for about 3/4 mile. (Former) Enron buildings on the left, along with the pyramid-topped building and the building with the hole in the top in the middle. My office was in the 10 story building on the corner looking straight at that view. In a previous office a few blocks away, when they did the laser/fireworks show a few years ago, I came in on monday morning to find my office littered with Champagne and beer bottles. Light rail stop is either McGowan (walk forward toward the 10 story building) or HCC/Ensemble stop (walk back toward the building). Both a few blocks from the intersection. The area may look a little rough but most of the businesses are Vietnamese so the area is pretty safe.
Also, Sam Houston park on the edge of downtown. There are a number of restored historic structures which give an interesting foreground to the downtown structures.
Views from the East will give you Minute Maid park (formerly Enron Stadium) in the foreground with downtown in back but I don't know exactly where the best spot is. North and South views are one end of downtown as it runs north to south (more of less). South Houston around the U of H is very rough and potentially dangerous. I would not venture there.

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

2,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good place to see Houston skyline?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.