Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of July 2010 (Thu)   #1
TS656577

Default Good place to see Houston skyline?

I'm stuck in Houston for 6 more days so I'm trying to find some more locations for some photo ops
TS656577 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of July 2010 (Thu)   #2
KCMO Al

Default Re: Good place to see Houston skyline?

Go out to Main and Elgin. Clear view of downtown with no buildings in front for about 3/4 mile. (Former) Enron buildings on the left, along with the pyramid-topped building and the building with the hole in the top in the middle. My office was in the 10 story building on the corner looking straight at that view. In a previous office a few blocks away, when they did the laser/fireworks show a few years ago, I came in on monday morning to find my office littered with Champagne and beer bottles. Light rail stop is either McGowan (walk forward toward the 10 story building) or HCC/Ensemble stop (walk back toward the building). Both a few blocks from the intersection. The area may look a little rough but most of the businesses are Vietnamese so the area is pretty safe.
Also, Sam Houston park on the edge of downtown. There are a number of restored historic structures which give an interesting foreground to the downtown structures.
Views from the East will give you Minute Maid park (formerly Enron Stadium) in the foreground with downtown in back but I don't know exactly where the best spot is. North and South views are one end of downtown as it runs north to south (more of less). South Houston around the U of H is very rough and potentially dangerous. I would not venture there.
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

Last edited by KCMO Al : 15th of July 2010 (Thu) at 17:41.
KCMO Al is offline   Reply With Quote