Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,772 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Southern California
Aug 09, 2010 15:55 |  #16

Stop Mike!! :) You're making me drool....... What nice homes!!!

Very nice and appealing shots again!

a7RII • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 09, 2010 19:24 |  #17

Hah- thanks - but trust me, it's tougher to spend a few hours in each of these five nights a week ;)

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture
My Fine Art Galleries
My articles at Fstoppers.comexternal link

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 09, 2010 19:25 |  #18

ignutzz wrote in post #10689375external link
I have a walk-through for a project this Thursday so I'm hoping to be able to post some shots next week.

This place will be a challenge as it's a recording studio with VERY moody lighting. Plus I'm going to be shooting during a fully staffed work day.

Mike - thanks for posting the combo lighting shots as I've been trying to figure out in my head the best way to deal with the extreme lights/darks in the recording spaces.

Thanks too for the earlier response - I meant to say that earlier when I first read it. :lol:

I've shot a recording studio before, probably much like you describe. Gelled lights, wood paneling, soundproofing foam, etc etc. They can really be fun to shoot and you can get some awesome moody shots. I'd try with the flash and without the flash, they can be very cool places to play with dark and light with regards to shadows.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
My Fine Art Galleries

ignutzz
157 posts
Joined Jul 2008
NYC
Aug 09, 2010 19:32 |  #19

That's exactly what I was planning to do. There are some details in the flooring that I need to work on too as well as some custom art and steel details. My husband built the space so this is a portfolio shoot that needs to show off special construction details and I really need to get it right. No pressure or anything though. :lol:

60D I 450D I Flickrexternal link I Moreexternal link

KenVP
794 posts
Joined May 2009
South Jersey (Between AC & Philly)
Aug 09, 2010 22:01 |  #20

Great stuff, something I've thought about this as well and after speaking to a few high end realtors I've been told its a thing thats coming to an end execpt for HIGH END homes. Most are turning to video and p&s for there photos to save money on the listing......I hope their wrong

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 09, 2010 22:16 |  #21

That would suck. However, I don't think anyone serious about selling a house is going to get P+S shots.

The value added by professional shots far, far outweighs their initial cost.

Here's a good article from the NYT that sums it up:

http://www.nytimes.com ...ion/22appraisal.htm​l?_r=1external link

I wouldn't worry too much- there is always going to be high-end real estate. People want to make the most money, and in order to do so, quality photography is one element that will get the most people in the house to look at it, and subsequently, purchase.

My Fine Art Galleries

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 10, 2010 03:42 |  #22

Here's another attempt from a shoot tonight at the flash/HDR blend. I think I'm getting better but...hard to say after another editing bender.

6 separate exposures blended. Three for shadows and highlights, and three flash exposures for color, contrast, whites, etc. Photomatix for the initial +/- 2ev blend and Photoshop for the flash blends. Windows masked in from a -2ev frame. Condo was staged ahead of time for me. I used a 430EXII on full blast and walked around with a remote in my hand popping off the flash where I felt it was necessary. Pocketwizard Flex and Mini.

I am falling in love with this technique. Problem is it takes so freakin' long! From setting up the shot, chimping all the flash exposures so you have the light where you want it with no harsh shadows, masking in windows, adjusting opacity of layers, erasing excess, etc etc.

What I do like about this kind of photography is that it keeps me honest. Can't blame the model for being fat, can't blame the weather for not cooperating, can't blame the lights in the stadium for sucking, can't blame my equipment, if I botch something, it's all me.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My Fine Art Galleries

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 14, 2010 19:17 |  #23

and on the total opposite side of the spectrum from a 6 shot comp, here's one with no lighting, one exposure, just ambient. the verticals on the left side look funky but there was a fireplace with an angled flue.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My Fine Art Galleries

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Aug 14, 2010 19:29 |  #24

New Lurker. Thanks for inviting me, Mike!

This space for rent.

JustinL
Goldmember
1,535 posts
Joined May 2005
CT
Aug 19, 2010 01:23 |  #25

Excellent idea for a thread Mike. I'll add some soon to this - nothing close to your level

My Siteexternal link
Rule #1external link

cigarviper
81 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Aug 19, 2010 21:50 as a reply to JustinL's post |  #26

I'm wondering if you've tried a tilt shift lens on your shoots, Mike.

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 19, 2010 23:47 |  #27

Viper - I've tried one before I got into the real estate thing, and loved it. I would love a 17L ts/e but at this point it would be a huge stretch in my budget, and my clients love my work as it is (and really, it would be nice to have, but I'm booked solid two weeks out, and I don't think the jump in quality is justified at this point, maybe down the road if I decide to pursue editorial work I'll grab one)

My Fine Art Galleries

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Aug 20, 2010 00:01 |  #28

Yes, this is sorely needed forum stop, for sure!

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Aug 20, 2010 00:25 |  #29

Here's some recent shots of mine. These were taken a bit later than I'd wanted, so I'll be re-shooting them earlier in the evening. These were pretty unprocessed, single shots from 5D2 and 16-35L.

IMAGE: http://lambertphotography.com/forums/2010-08-06-richardson-1841.jpg

IMAGE: http://lambertphotography.com/forums/2010-08-06-richardson-1845.jpg

IMAGE: http://lambertphotography.com/forums/2010-08-06-richardson-1846.jpg

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 20, 2010 00:34 |  #30

Todd they look great. Good verticals, everything lit well. I think you nailed it- probably just want to shoot them earlier to get some sky in there as you said. The warm rocks and wood would play wonderfully with a nice cobalt blue sky.

My Fine Art Galleries

sponsored links

1,209,407 views & 1207 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.