Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007
newcastle.nsw.au
Aug 20, 2010 01:12 as a reply to post 10754837 |  #31

Some fabulous work in this thread guys!

Anyone doing 'real estate' type work on a smaller scale, like caravans, motor homes, or the like? I've recently become the official-unofficial product photog for my employer (I'm actually employed as an IT guy.) Most of the stuff I've done so far is the interiors of custom-built vehicles kitted out as mobile medical units and so on. Imaging a semi trailer rebuilt as a motor home and you're not far off the mark.

I've recently upgraded from a 400D to a 5DII and I'm loving the extra width that it gives me (using 17-40 in both cases) although the barrelling is a problem. Still learning how to light the suckers though - I'm mostly restricted to on-camera flash and very short timeframes (in and out in 30-60 minutes, tops.)

[galleryexternal link|gear|flickrexternal link|blogexternal link]

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Aug 20, 2010 09:26 |  #32

mikekelley wrote in post #10754837external link
Todd they look great. Good verticals, everything lit well. I think you nailed it- probably just want to shoot them earlier to get some sky in there as you said. The warm rocks and wood would play wonderfully with a nice cobalt blue sky.

Thanks Mike.

Yes, I'd meant to be there quite a bit earlier but by the time I got there, the sky had turned dark, so I worked on angles and positioning. I'm waiting for the full moon on Tuesday to go back and shoot these properly.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 20, 2010 13:31 |  #33

AdamC wrote in post #10754961external link
Some fabulous work in this thread guys!

Anyone doing 'real estate' type work on a smaller scale, like caravans, motor homes, or the like? I've recently become the official-unofficial product photog for my employer (I'm actually employed as an IT guy.) Most of the stuff I've done so far is the interiors of custom-built vehicles kitted out as mobile medical units and so on. Imaging a semi trailer rebuilt as a motor home and you're not far off the mark.

I've recently upgraded from a 400D to a 5DII and I'm loving the extra width that it gives me (using 17-40 in both cases) although the barrelling is a problem. Still learning how to light the suckers though - I'm mostly restricted to on-camera flash and very short timeframes (in and out in 30-60 minutes, tops.)

I use LensFixCL to batch correct barrel distortion on all my shots. Couldn't live without it. $30 for the plugin for Lightroom/Aperture.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture
My Fine Art Galleries
My articles at Fstoppers.comexternal link

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Aug 20, 2010 20:57 |  #34

mikekelley wrote in post #10757553external link
I use LensFixCL to batch correct barrel distortion on all my shots. Couldn't live without it. $30 for the plugin for Lightroom/Aperture.

Have you used LR3 new LC tool? If so, how do they compare?

This space for rent.

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 20, 2010 21:02 |  #35

I have not - I just use Aperture.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
My Fine Art Galleries

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Aug 20, 2010 21:14 |  #36

mikekelley wrote in post #10759563external link
I have not - I just use Aperture.

I know the PFRE guy says that the LR3 is pretty solid. I use it all the time, but also wind up checking into CS4 to transform a pic or two.....

This space for rent.

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 20, 2010 22:39 |  #37

Yeah I do the same thing. Sometimes my verticals aren't perfect straight out of the camera. I don't really know if I need to drop the coin on LR3 though, when Aperture does just what I need it to do.

My Fine Art Galleries

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Aug 20, 2010 22:42 |  #38

mikekelley wrote in post #10759982external link
Yeah I do the same thing. Sometimes my verticals aren't perfect straight out of the camera. I don't really know if I need to drop the coin on LR3 though, when Aperture does just what I need it to do.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. :)

This space for rent.

Bryanbmur
Joined Apr 2009
Texas
Aug 22, 2010 01:07 |  #39

I have been shooting some Real estate photography for my wife who is a Realtor and use the LR3 distortion/vertical correction and been extremely pleased with it. I haven't tried Lensfixcl so I don't have anything to compare to.

5D Mark III | 17-40 f/4L | 35L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 430EX II
flickr (external link)

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007
newcastle.nsw.au
Aug 22, 2010 03:36 as a reply to Bryanbmur's post |  #40

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check it out.

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007
newcastle.nsw.au
Aug 23, 2010 23:12 |  #41

Damn, seems to be an OS/X app only - anyone want to recommend a Windows equivalent? (Preferably a LIghtroom plugin.)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 23, 2010 23:21 |  #42

Ah drat, sorry about that!

My Fine Art Galleries

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Aug 24, 2010 01:28 |  #43

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10754811 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Todd I think this last one is exceptionally stunning! The shallow rock steps in the foreground really adds to the overall composition! Were these tripod mounted or handheld?

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work!external link

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Aug 24, 2010 09:28 |  #44

Thanks man, yes, those were on a tripod. (most of what I do is on a tripod). I wish my hands were that steady... I'd be a surgeon or something that pays better! ;-)a

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 24, 2010 14:04 |  #45

Still working out my technique but I think I'm getting the feel for it, as I can reproduce it pretty well without much trouble.

Three-shot ambient HDR plus two or three fill flash shots layered in either color blend mode or normal blend mode + opacity to taste, plus some masking, to bring out colors and specular highlights.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My Fine Art Galleries

sponsored links

1,168,619 views & 1136 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.