Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Feb 27, 2017 19:45 |  #8896

heldGaze wrote in post #18287029 (external link)
I just had my first RE job, full thread about it here: My 1st RE Shoot - Feedback Welcomed which includes a few more photos and a link to the listing's full gallery. But here are a couple of my favorite shots. I'm always looking to learn, so things that I did well or things that I do can improve upon are welcomed feedback.

The second shot shown here was particularly difficult light to work with, and required layering two images in PS with WB set for the bathroom and bedroom and masking so the bedroom wasn't blue and the bathroom wasn't yellow. I also had to paint a desaturation adjustment layer on the door jam separating the rooms which after blending the two layers was extremely dark & blue. And, no, I don't know why they don't have a mirror in the master bathroom yet, but it made my work easier...

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

The client was very pleased with the work, and said we'll be doing a lot of work together in the future. So that's great, but I still want to look at my work critically from a photography perspective and improve my results.

Very impressive for a first RE listing. Compositions are actually very good. Only critique I have is I would maybe crop more of that chair in the corner on the first image...the wide angle makes the chair look too big so a slight crop would help a lot. Also, I would try to make the white balance of the walls match more to the light. There is a lot of cold color in the first image yet all the light is warm so it looks a little off to me. (Kitchen and entry look nice but don't match)

As for the second image, I would make sure to get an exposure with the shutter a bit quicker to get some detail in the light fixture (at least enough to see the shape of it). Maybe even try to warm up the outside of the window a bit (I feel like cooler outsides always feel gloomy).

Overall well done though.

DonJuan, how much flash do you put in those?

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

sponsored links
heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by heldGaze. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 27, 2017 20:12 |  #8897

seaLere wrote in post #18287231 (external link)
Very impressive for a first RE listing. Compositions are actually very good. Only critique I have is I would maybe crop more of that chair in the corner on the first image...the wide angle makes the chair look too big so a slight crop would help a lot. Also, I would try to make the white balance of the walls match more to the light. There is a lot of cold color in the first image yet all the light is warm so it looks a little off to me. (Kitchen and entry look nice but don't match)

As for the second image, I would make sure to get an exposure with the shutter a bit quicker to get some detail in the light fixture (at least enough to see the shape of it). Maybe even try to warm up the outside of the window a bit (I feel like cooler outsides always feel gloomy).

Overall well done though.

Thank you for the feedback. If my work is very impressive for a first RE listing, I have the folks here on this site to thank for that. I have spent a lot of time reading threads here, studying people's photos, as well as of course reading other sites on the web, but this place has been especially useful with the fact that everyone is so sharing of their photos, techniques and critiques.

Yeah, the light fixture in the bathroom... definitely blown out too much in the finished image. I was shooting 9 frame brackets, so I should have added one of the darker ones into another layer on top in PS, and masked in just the light fixture.

To give you an idea of how bad the WB difference was with this image, here are the two I had to layer in PS and mask together to get this:

IMAGE: https://chuck-d.net/images/potn/RealEstate/5930%20Camp%20Chase/Blue.jpg

IMAGE: https://chuck-d.net/images/potn/RealEstate/5930%20Camp%20Chase/Yellow.jpg

I haven't used LR much in the past, so this job was a bit of a learning experience getting used to how LR works in terms of developing an image. Trying to knock out a couple dozen photos in a day, using LR was definitely useful, but I spent a good deal of time creating my presets. But for future jobs now, it won't take much effort as my lens corrections get applied on import, as well as some auto-adjustments. I have my LR/Enfuse plugin configured now (which took 6 hours to complete on this crappy slow laptop, soon to be replaced), and all my export presets are created now too, for fullsized JPEGs, small JPEGs suitable for MLS/web, and even smaller JPEGs with a watermark for giving a client proofs. I'm actually sad this job is done, I want to play around in LR more but have to wait for my client to get the next house finished. Or, you know, more clients.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 27, 2017 20:44 as a reply to heldGaze's post |  #8898

Here's a quick way to get rid of color casting on windows... etc. Make a black and white version of the photo, set it's blend mode on color

Yeesh, that's a lot of blue. Was it just before twilight or were the bathroom lights tungsten?

CC welcome.

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Feb 27, 2017 23:00 |  #8899

joooowan wrote in post #18287273 (external link)
Here's a quick way to get rid of color casting on windows... etc. Make a black and white version of the photo, set it's blend mode on color

Yeesh, that's a lot of blue. Was it just before twilight or were the bathroom lights tungsten?

Just fixed the post you were replying to as the second image wasn't displaying due to spaces in the URL.

Thanks for the tip on getting rid of color casts on windows... so in Photoshop you basically copy the photo into another layer, make that layer B&W, and change the layer blend mode to color? Do you mask that layer for only the windows? I'll have to play around with this technique and see how it works. I like knowing many different ways to approach a task, more tools in the toolbox and one technique may be better in certain situations than another.

The shoot was during a day when rain was imminent. I'm not certain what lights were used, I need to pay closer attention to that in the future. I had some lights in my car in case there were rooms unfinished/missing lighting/whatever. I could maybe have brought them in to correct the lighting onsite, but for the sake of time I just shot with ambient and took 9 frame brackets at 0.7 stop increments. I wish my camera shot 7 frame brackets, but it only does 3, 5 or 9, depending on the stop increment it may only do 3 or 5. This was also my first time ever using the Enfuse plugin for LR. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the results or use some of my other techniques, but they came out well despite taking 6 hours.

C&C Always Appreciated

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by joooowan. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 27, 2017 23:37 |  #8900

heldGaze wrote in post #18287382 (external link)

Thanks for the tip on getting rid of color casts on windows... so in Photoshop you basically copy the photo into another layer, make that layer B&W, and change the layer blend mode to color? Do you mask that layer for only the windows? I'll have to play around with this technique and see how it works. I like knowing many different ways to approach a task, more tools in the toolbox and one technique may be better in certain situations than another.

yes you do this through layer masking. Youtube has some really complicated explanations on layer masking and you should watch them but basically what it is, a layer mask determines how much of that layer to show.

Look at the red arrows, the bottom arrow points to the add-layer-mask. When you add a layer mask, it's white by default (shows the layer). If you alt-click the add-layer-mask, it creates a black layer (hiding the layer).

so if you look at the arrow pointing up, we have the black and white layer that has a layer mask that's all white(show current layer) except for 4 black circles (black=hide) so the black is letting the layer underneath show through.

When you have the layer mask selected you work on them with the paint brush, black is to hide the layer, white is to show. So if you have the white brush set at a low opacity I can gradually paint in (or out) the colors instead of making circles over here.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

CC welcome.

Nick3434
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Trespassing in South Florida
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Nick3434. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 28, 2017 06:47 as a reply to post 18286906 |  #8901

Cannot use a tripod, no. I am a marble contractor and get my pics by basically being lucky enough to have a reason to be at a job when it doesn't look like a construction site, at which point I need to be fast and low key. I can't always "Bother' the client to ask as it is not professional on my end, and sometimes people in high end are not really flattered you like their job and want pictures as much as wary of their home being shot. I used to try to bring a tripod and light way back when I started and the whole thing I could tell was too much for a builder even though they didn't say anything, and I cannot annoy these relationships. So, no one cares if you get cell phone pics. No one also cares if you use a point and shoot. My 6D even handheld is what I used to use with minor above radar vibes, but more often than not, my opportunities are unexpected and the Fuji is really under the radar as it looks like a P and S for most part, and takes really strong images, not as good 6D and my big wide glass, but I would rather have the above than nothing at all.

And I was just wondering if anyone else serious on interiors has tried a low key apsc system like the Fuji. I went with the 14 as I don't like artificially large looking distorted rooms the 10 would give, but rumor is they are making like an 8-15 that I would think would be awesome. My only complaints are noise with heavy editing(Tripod eliminates that) and the detail is not as good, but I would think you would need to print for that. File sizes are smaller and for mostly screen work, quality is not bad.

I did an in depth comparison thread with lots of pics in the Fuji forum of my e X2 and 14 2.8 vs 6D and 24Lii shot the same house (friends) with both. If you are interested in seeing it vs FF check it out here http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​476496

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Post has been edited 8 months ago by mltn.
Feb 28, 2017 16:18 |  #8902

heldGaze wrote in post #18287382 (external link)

Just fixed the post you were replying to as the second image wasn't displaying due to spaces in the URL.

The shoot was during a day when rain was imminent. I'm not certain what lights were used, I need to pay closer attention to that in the future. I had some lights in my car in case there were rooms unfinished/missing lighting/whatever. I could maybe have brought them in to correct the lighting onsite, but for the sake of time I just shot with ambient and took 9 frame brackets at 0.7 stop increments. I wish my camera shot 7 frame brackets, but it only does 3, 5 or 9, depending on the stop increment it may only do 3 or 5. This was also my first time ever using the Enfuse plugin for LR. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the results or use some of my other techniques, but they came out well despite taking 6 hours.

6 hours :eek:. I personally would skip the brackets entirely and use flash to balance things out, have a CTO gel ready when necessary. I know there are folks here that swear by Enfuse, but I don't have the patience and I think flash looks better. I will maybe use a couple flash frames when something is tricky to get in one shot, but I do that very sparingly for average real estate shoots. I think the intensity of the blue is really exaggerated from Enfuse, any kind of HDR has been really bad with mixed light in my experience. To be a profitable RE shooter, you have to have your post times way down, I would spend 30-45 minutes tops in post on a house like this one.

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Feb 28, 2017 21:57 as a reply to heldGaze's post |  #8903

While the color correction work is impressive, It's almost never necessary to shoot a single photo a view of 2 rooms with radically different lighting and color temps. The primary photos for each room should show just that room, like the bathroom. It's good to have secondary photos that show connections to other rooms. In the bedroom the photos should show the bathroom door open and closet doors shut. You will have more similar color temps if you open up the bathroom window.

As far as productivity, 6 hours of PP makes it impossible to be efficient. You definitely need a better workflow to be competitive.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been edited 8 months ago by joooowan.
Feb 28, 2017 22:53 |  #8904

a typical house in LA.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Mar 01, 2017 05:00 |  #8905

So rereading my post, I see how my wording wasn't clear leading to the misunderstanding. I didn't spend 6 hours "working" in post. The 6 hours was the time it took for the Enfuse LR Plugin to run on all my images. Since it was my first time using the Enfuse LR Plugin, what I did was run it on 45 files (45 frames = 5 images * 9 brackets) and timed it. So that way I knew what to expect for how long it would take to run on the rest of my photo shoot, and I was able to kick it off, and go do other things.

Since I only had this one shoot to deal with, it wasn't really a big deal. In the future however, if I have several shoots that I need to process and deliver around the same time, that's just wholly unreasonable and would probably make me miss my delivery timeframe promises.

Luckily, I won't have to worry about it being that slow for much longer. I processed this shoot on a machine running a 4th generation Intel Haswell 2-core i5-4210Y @ 1.40 GHz, which has 3 MB of SmartCache, and only 4 GB of DDR3 RAM running at about 800 MHz. The images being processed were stored on an external HDD array connected via USB3.0.

But the future is going to be much faster for me. I have been researching the components for a new desktop build for the past almost 4 months now. I'm finally going to pull the trigger hopefully this weekend and purchase everything, and build the machine inside of my old Lian Li PC-V1100 Plus II case (I love this case because of the sleek look, clean interior design and especially the sound insulation on the walls).

This new computer is going to be built using Intel's newest 7th generation Kaby Lake i7-7700K, which has 4 cores, hyperthreaded @ 4.20 GHz base frequency, 4.50 GHz turbo, and it has 8 MB of SmartCache. Being a "K" model this CPU is fully unlocked, meaning you can overclock the processor which I plan on doing, perhaps pushing it all the way up to 5 GHz (I'll see what is stable with the mobo and CPU heat sink). I'll be running 32 GB of DDR4 RAM, which will also be overclocked to probably ~3000 MHz. And instead of processing image files on an external HDD array, my working files are going to be on an SSD connected via the new M.2 connector (more than 5x faster than SATA III). I also need to look into this new Intel Optane Memory technology, but with an SSD plugged into an M.2, I'm not sure if the Optane is going to do much in the way of performance gains.

That 6 hour process is going to drop in time dramatically with this new system. Processing power and bandwidth in every aspect is going to be greatly increased. Even though that wasn't 6 hours of me "working" in post, and I was spending my time elsewhere while the batch processing ran, it's definitely not sustainable if I am to grow this business. But I'll have the situation rectified before the end of March. Even when it comes to browsing the internet, my current machine can't keep up with my demands (and the enormous number of tabs I keep open). Needless to say I'm super pumped to be so close to finally getting this new system built.

C&C Always Appreciated

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Mar 01, 2017 05:59 |  #8906

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/595/32341110114_7907ab49f0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RgSD​hN] (external link)Harpers Mill-2 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Mar 01, 2017 13:55 |  #8907

it's too bad you live in a part of VA where there's not a lot of variety in architecture.

CC welcome.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Mar 01, 2017 13:59 |  #8908

heldGaze wrote in post #18288588 (external link)
So rereading my post, I see how my wording wasn't clear leading to the misunderstanding. I didn't spend 6 hours "working" in post. The 6 hours was the time it took for the Enfuse LR Plugin to run on all my images. Since it was my first time using the Enfuse LR Plugin, what I did was run it on 45 files (45 frames = 5 images * 9 brackets) and timed it. So that way I knew what to expect for how long it would take to run on the rest of my photo shoot, and I was able to kick it off, and go do other things.

Since I only had this one shoot to deal with, it wasn't really a big deal. In the future however, if I have several shoots that I need to process and deliver around the same time, that's just wholly unreasonable and would probably make me miss my delivery timeframe promises.

Luckily, I won't have to worry about it being that slow for much longer. I processed this shoot on a machine running a 4th generation Intel Haswell 2-core i5-4210Y @ 1.40 GHz, which has 3 MB of SmartCache, and only 4 GB of DDR3 RAM running at about 800 MHz. The images being processed were stored on an external HDD array connected via USB3.0.

But the future is going to be much faster for me. I have been researching the components for a new desktop build for the past almost 4 months now. I'm finally going to pull the trigger hopefully this weekend and purchase everything, and build the machine inside of my old Lian Li PC-V1100 Plus II case (I love this case because of the sleek look, clean interior design and especially the sound insulation on the walls).

This new computer is going to be built using Intel's newest 7th generation Kaby Lake i7-7700K, which has 4 cores, hyperthreaded @ 4.20 GHz base frequency, 4.50 GHz turbo, and it has 8 MB of SmartCache. Being a "K" model this CPU is fully unlocked, meaning you can overclock the processor which I plan on doing, perhaps pushing it all the way up to 5 GHz (I'll see what is stable with the mobo and CPU heat sink). I'll be running 32 GB of DDR4 RAM, which will also be overclocked to probably ~3000 MHz. And instead of processing image files on an external HDD array, my working files are going to be on an SSD connected via the new M.2 connector (more than 5x faster than SATA III). I also need to look into this new Intel Optane Memory technology, but with an SSD plugged into an M.2, I'm not sure if the Optane is going to do much in the way of performance gains.

That 6 hour process is going to drop in time dramatically with this new system. Processing power and bandwidth in every aspect is going to be greatly increased. Even though that wasn't 6 hours of me "working" in post, and I was spending my time elsewhere while the batch processing ran, it's definitely not sustainable if I am to grow this business. But I'll have the situation rectified before the end of March. Even when it comes to browsing the internet, my current machine can't keep up with my demands (and the enormous number of tabs I keep open). Needless to say I'm super pumped to be so close to finally getting this new system built.

Honestly my first shoot took me a day and a half to edit. I still don't shoot more than 4 houses a week, just can't handle it. I hand blend all my images so it still takes me a good 2-3 hours to PP a typical house. I am getting the kind of work I want faster I think because of it. I've met other RE shooters in the LA area that's been doing it for 3 years and hasn't moved much past HDR, those are also the ones gunning for volume rather than quality. To each their own.

CC welcome.

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Mar 01, 2017 17:21 |  #8909

heldGaze wrote in post #18288588 (external link)

Congrats on the fancy new machine! You did 5 total images with 9 brackets each? I didn't believe you were actively working for 6 hours, but it would still be a pain to have to keep an eye on the automation for all that time. Do you use flash and Enfuse or just Enfuse?

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Mar 02, 2017 05:38 as a reply to joooowan's post |  #8910

I know, it is what it is... :p

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

1,192,901 views & 1168 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.