Photoshop error "Cannot save file "xxxx" because disk is full" (it isn't?)

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 18:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ashleynaugust
Joined Mar 2008
241 posts
Southern Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help. I have Photoshop 7 (ancient, I know, but for how I use it I haven't been able to justify the upgrade over camera equipment)

I have used it with no issue for years, saving to my internal harddrive and a 250 gig external HD. I recently bought a 2TB drive that I want to store one copy and all my post-processed work on, to save space on my computer.

This is how it is currently set up, since I added the 2TB drive:
My internal HD (c: ) has 40 gigs free
I have a backup 250 gig drive with 200 gigs free (f: )
and my new Mybook 2TB drive which has 1.7 TB free (g: )

So all the drives have plenty of space. I cannot use photoshop to save ANYTHING to the G: drive. I can't save a large file, a jpg, or a 5KB gif, I get an error message that says "Cannot save "filename" because disk g: is full"

G: is not full. Here is where it gets really strange-Photoshop can save that file anywhere else on my computer, on C: or on F:.

Any other photo program or other program can save to G: perfectly fine, with no errors.

There must be some communication problem between PS and the new drive, any ideas on how to fix it? I've googled and found mention of others with the same problem, but no fixes.
(these for example: http://torch.cs.dal.ca​/~bate/archive/775external link
and
http://www.mombu.com ...-saving-file-3614306.htmlexternal link)

Please help!

Post #1, Jul 17, 2010 18:41:05

~Ashley~ 7D, 40D; 50mm 1.4; 50-250mm; 28-135mm; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8; 580exII

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Hen3Ry
Joined Nov 2009
962 posts
Aptos, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

What OS? What CPU?

Post #2, Jul 17, 2010 22:33:04

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Ashley, I don't have a clue as to what the problem may be, but you might also check in the Adobe Photoshop Forum:

http://forums.adobe.co​m/community/photoshopexternal link

Post #3, Jul 18, 2010 09:31:25

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

It might be referring to your scratch disc. If you have been beavering away on a large and multi layered image, the scratch disc might well be full, with no room left to juggle the parts as you flatten and save it. For a long time I have used my external drive for the scratch disc as suggested by Adobe because I have had similar warnings in the past.

Post #4, Jul 18, 2010 09:47:46

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
7,000 posts
Merseyside, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Lowner wrote in post #10557756external link
It might be referring to your scratch disc. If you have been beavering away on a large and multi layered image, the scratch disc might well be full, with no room left to juggle the parts as you flatten and save it. For a long time I have used my external drive for the scratch disc as suggested by Adobe because I have had similar warnings in the past.

Yeah, I used to have similar issues as the scratch disc filled up (it is by default a small portion of your actual disc). I put in a second disc (WD 10,000rpm) and opened it right up as a dedicated scratch disc which speeds up processing and gets rid of the dramatic slowdowns and saving issues when you have been working for a while.

Post #5, Jul 18, 2010 10:02:42

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Scratch disk full would give a different error message AFAIK.

Post #6, Jul 18, 2010 10:53:16

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

have you tried copying the image and pasting to a new document and saving?

resetting PS prefs by holding Shift+CTL (CMD Mac)+Alt (Option Mac) when launching PS?

Post #7, Jul 18, 2010 18:42:19

Robert Whettonexternal link Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hoodexternal link | Gear | Tweetexternal link | Google+external link | Get your focus spot onexternal link

xlynx
Joined Jun 2010
189 posts
Belarus
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, what OS? Can you write on this disk in usual way, not from PS ?

Post #8, Jul 19, 2010 00:53:06

6d.::.135L.::.85L.::.35L.::.55/1.2FL.::.Samyang 14/2.8.::.430EX

ashleynaugust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
241 posts
Southern Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry for not replying. I read on another forum online that it is a problem with older photoshops. I have Windows XP.

I can write on the disk with anything and everything BUT Photoshop (v. 7.0)

It has nothing to do with the scratch disk, unfortunately. I spent a lot of time reconfiguring that before realizing that it makes no difference. :( I'm just going to have to use the drive for storage and not edited photos until I get a new PS.

Post #9, Aug 04, 2010 15:27:45

~Ashley~ 7D, 40D; 50mm 1.4; 50-250mm; 28-135mm; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8; 580exII

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

have you tried upgrading to PS 7.0.1?

Post #10, Aug 04, 2010 15:36:36

Robert Whettonexternal link Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hoodexternal link | Gear | Tweetexternal link | Google+external link | Get your focus spot onexternal link

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I use PS7 very happily on a fairly ancient PC, it does everything I want it to do so like you will not be changing it any time soon. The age of PS7 is not a problem, nor, with the ever cheaper external hard drives now available is storage space. But PS does need "elbow room" and newer versions will only make that worse. My internal hard drive is 75% empty, I don't store image files on it long term so my software has the room it needs.

Post #11, Aug 06, 2010 05:14:30

Richard

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,108 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Lowner wrote in post #10671768external link
I use PS7 very happily on a fairly ancient PC, it does everything I want it to do so like you will not be changing it any time soon. The age of PS7 is not a problem, nor, with the every cheaper external hard drives now available is storage space. But PS does need "elbow room" and newer versions will only make that worse. My internal hard drive is 75% empty, I don't store image files on it long term so my software has the room it needs.

I use PS7 on XP too, & haven't seen this problem. It does everything I need, so I won't plan on changing in the future. I'd be interested in the answer if you find one.

Post #12, Aug 06, 2010 09:33:10

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I had some peculiar behavior issues when I installed my LaCie 2x 1TB dual drive. My PC refused to accept it was available for use although it agreed with me that it was there. I asked on the computer section here and got chapter and verse on what I needed to do. All LaCie offered was a lame "is it plugged in?" "have you turned it on?" Here I was treated like a grown-up and got good advise - Somewhere in the PC is a list of hardware and this needed very specific instructions before suddenly everything was fine.

Post #13, Aug 06, 2010 12:39:24

Richard

DustieN
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2009
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I happened to have the same problem so went to the web for answers. This thread gave me the idea to try saving files using my upgraded version of Photoshop, CS3, rather then Photoshop 7 and see if I still got the Disc Full Error and it saved successfully. I upgraded Photoshop 7 awhile back when I learned that, after CS3, Photoshop 7 would be no longer upgradable and you'd have to buy the full version. I've been fighting having to learn it though, since I'm so comfortable with Photoshop 7 and the first few times I used CS3 It was missing key elements I used all the time in 7 or at least they were moved and I coudln't find them.

Looks like now though, unless I want to send this Western Digital 2tb hard drive back, I'm going to have to learn to use the upgrade. Photoshop 7 and Western Digital Elements 2 TB hard drive (as well as the WE Mybook 2tb the original poster owns) are simply incompatable with Photoshop 7. Photoshop CS3 works with it just fine though, so guess I'd better get to work learning Photoshop CS3. Good thing I had both on my computer though, or I would have never figured out the problem.

Post #14, Nov 16, 2010 17:01:57

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Dustie, that still doesn't seem right -- there are people here who are happily using PS7. What OS are you using, and what disk format is your hard drive (if you have Windows and right-click on the drive listed in Explorer then Properties shoud say either FAT32 or NTFS)?

As to the differences between PS7 and CS3, my one suggestion would be to check terms in PS7 for things that you use and look them up in the CS3 Help -- as far as I know CS3 should have the useful "stuff" although some "workflow" things might be missing or changed around.

Post #15, Nov 16, 2010 19:13:18

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
16,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop error "Cannot save file "xxxx" because disk is full" (it isn't?)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES