Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of July 2010 (Sat)   #1
ashleynaugust

Default Photoshop error "Cannot save file "xxxx" because disk is full" (it isn't?)

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help. I have Photoshop 7 (ancient, I know, but for how I use it I haven't been able to justify the upgrade over camera equipment)

I have used it with no issue for years, saving to my internal harddrive and a 250 gig external HD. I recently bought a 2TB drive that I want to store one copy and all my post-processed work on, to save space on my computer.

This is how it is currently set up, since I added the 2TB drive:
My internal HD (c: ) has 40 gigs free
I have a backup 250 gig drive with 200 gigs free (f: )
and my new Mybook 2TB drive which has 1.7 TB free (g: )

So all the drives have plenty of space. I cannot use photoshop to save ANYTHING to the G: drive. I can't save a large file, a jpg, or a 5KB gif, I get an error message that says "Cannot save "filename" because disk g: is full"

G: is not full. Here is where it gets really strange-Photoshop can save that file anywhere else on my computer, on C: or on F:.

Any other photo program or other program can save to G: perfectly fine, with no errors.

There must be some communication problem between PS and the new drive, any ideas on how to fix it? I've googled and found mention of others with the same problem, but no fixes.
(these for example: http://torch.cs.dal.ca/~bate/archive/775
and
http://www.mombu.com/computer_design...e-3614306.html)

Please help!

Last edited by ashleynaugust : 17th of July 2010 (Sat) at 19:41. Reason: to remove smileys inadvertantly caused by parenthesis
ashleynaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of July 2010 (Sat)   #2
Hen3Ry

Default Re: Photoshop error "Cannot save file "xxxx" because disk is full" (it isn't?)

What OS? What CPU?
Hen3Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #3
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: Photoshop error "Cannot save file "xxxx" because disk is full" (it isn't?)

Ashley, I don't have a clue as to what the problem may be, but you might also check in the Adobe Photoshop Forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #4
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

It might be referring to your scratch disc. If you have been beavering away on a large and multi layered image, the scratch disc might well be full, with no room left to juggle the parts as you flatten and save it. For a long time I have used my external drive for the scratch disc as suggested by Adobe because I have had similar warnings in the past.

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com
Lowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #5
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowner View Post
It might be referring to your scratch disc. If you have been beavering away on a large and multi layered image, the scratch disc might well be full, with no room left to juggle the parts as you flatten and save it. For a long time I have used my external drive for the scratch disc as suggested by Adobe because I have had similar warnings in the past.
Yeah, I used to have similar issues as the scratch disc filled up (it is by default a small portion of your actual disc). I put in a second disc (WD 10,000rpm) and opened it right up as a dedicated scratch disc which speeds up processing and gets rid of the dramatic slowdowns and saving issues when you have been working for a while.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #6
René Damkot
Cream of the Crop

Scratch disk full would give a different error message AFAIK.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #7
Bobster
Goldmember

have you tried copying the image and pasting to a new document and saving?

resetting PS prefs by holding Shift+CTL (CMD Mac)+Alt (Option Mac) when launching PS?

DIY Monitor Hood | Gear | Tweet | Google+ | Get your focus spot on
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2010 (Mon)   #8
xlynx

Yeah, what OS? Can you write on this disk in usual way, not from PS ?
Old 4th of August 2010 (Wed)   #9
ashleynaugust

Sorry for not replying. I read on another forum online that it is a problem with older photoshops. I have Windows XP.

I can write on the disk with anything and everything BUT Photoshop (v. 7.0)

It has nothing to do with the scratch disk, unfortunately. I spent a lot of time reconfiguring that before realizing that it makes no difference. I'm just going to have to use the drive for storage and not edited photos until I get a new PS.
Old 4th of August 2010 (Wed)   #10
Bobster
Goldmember

have you tried upgrading to PS 7.0.1?

DIY Monitor Hood | Gear | Tweet | Google+ | Get your focus spot on
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2010 (Fri)   #11
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

I use PS7 very happily on a fairly ancient PC, it does everything I want it to do so like you will not be changing it any time soon. The age of PS7 is not a problem, nor, with the ever cheaper external hard drives now available is storage space. But PS does need "elbow room" and newer versions will only make that worse. My internal hard drive is 75% empty, I don't store image files on it long term so my software has the room it needs.

Last edited by Lowner : 6th of August 2010 (Fri) at 13:29.
Old 6th of August 2010 (Fri)   #12
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowner View Post
I use PS7 very happily on a fairly ancient PC, it does everything I want it to do so like you will not be changing it any time soon. The age of PS7 is not a problem, nor, with the every cheaper external hard drives now available is storage space. But PS does need "elbow room" and newer versions will only make that worse. My internal hard drive is 75% empty, I don't store image files on it long term so my software has the room it needs.
I use PS7 on XP too, & haven't seen this problem. It does everything I need, so I won't plan on changing in the future. I'd be interested in the answer if you find one.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2010 (Fri)   #13
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

I had some peculiar behavior issues when I installed my LaCie 2x 1TB dual drive. My PC refused to accept it was available for use although it agreed with me that it was there. I asked on the computer section here and got chapter and verse on what I needed to do. All LaCie offered was a lame "is it plugged in?" "have you turned it on?" Here I was treated like a grown-up and got good advise - Somewhere in the PC is a list of hardware and this needed very specific instructions before suddenly everything was fine.

Old 16th of November 2010 (Tue)   #14
DustieN

I happened to have the same problem so went to the web for answers. This thread gave me the idea to try saving files using my upgraded version of Photoshop, CS3, rather then Photoshop 7 and see if I still got the Disc Full Error and it saved successfully. I upgraded Photoshop 7 awhile back when I learned that, after CS3, Photoshop 7 would be no longer upgradable and you'd have to buy the full version. I've been fighting having to learn it though, since I'm so comfortable with Photoshop 7 and the first few times I used CS3 It was missing key elements I used all the time in 7 or at least they were moved and I coudln't find them.

Looks like now though, unless I want to send this Western Digital 2tb hard drive back, I'm going to have to learn to use the upgrade. Photoshop 7 and Western Digital Elements 2 TB hard drive (as well as the WE Mybook 2tb the original poster owns) are simply incompatable with Photoshop 7. Photoshop CS3 works with it just fine though, so guess I'd better get to work learning Photoshop CS3. Good thing I had both on my computer though, or I would have never figured out the problem.
DustieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of November 2010 (Tue)   #15
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Dustie, that still doesn't seem right -- there are people here who are happily using PS7. What OS are you using, and what disk format is your hard drive (if you have Windows and right-click on the drive listed in Explorer then Properties shoud say either FAT32 or NTFS)?

As to the differences between PS7 and CS3, my one suggestion would be to check terms in PS7 for things that you use and look them up in the CS3 Help -- as far as I know CS3 should have the useful "stuff" although some "workflow" things might be missing or changed around.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote