Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 22:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sunscreen/bug repellent and cameras

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jul 17, 2010 22:07 |  #1

Now that summer is here, I've been making a point of wearing sunscreen every day when I'm out. One thing I notice is that it can make a mess, get on your hands, and then eventually on your camera gear (worse once you start sweating). I currently use Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF45 on my face every day to keep my youthful good looks (;)) and on long outings I use Coppertone Oil Free Broad Spectrum SPF45. The former can be kind of greasy, the latter is actually much better, but I can still feel it accumulate on my hands after a day of being out in the sun.

I've read that sunscreen, and bug spray, can be a nemesis of camera gear, especially the rubber.

How about a thread where people list what they find are camera friendly sunscreens and bug repellents?

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008
"...just south of the 23rd Paralell..."
Jul 18, 2010 01:07 |  #2

drisley wrote in post #10555916external link
I've read that sunscreen, and bug spray, can be a nemesis of camera gear, especially the rubber.

First time I've heard anything like that.

I had 1/2 a tube of sunscreen go right through my camera bag - all over the flash, 1 body, lenses etc.

Just wiped it off, no probs.

It's probably no worse than anything else that's been thrown at my gear.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Yearexternal linkFinallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmediaexternal link

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jul 18, 2010 07:17 as a reply to philwillmedia's post |  #3

I'd be more concerned about bug repellent...DEET and plastic do not go well together.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Canada
Jul 18, 2010 11:53 as a reply to argyle's post |  #4

DEET repellent breaks down all plastics components.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Jul 18, 2010 12:17 |  #5

When I get ready to head out I first spray myself down with DEET before touching the camera gear, then I wipe off the palms of my hands trying to keep them DEET free.

I've never had a problem.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jul 18, 2010 19:13 |  #6

Ah ok there is the problem... the DEET!
I figured it was something in the oils or some other chemical that was bad.
Good to know!

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jul 19, 2010 06:43 |  #7

drisley wrote in post #10560261external link
Ah ok there is the problem... the DEET!
I figured it was something in the oils or some other chemical that was bad.
Good to know!

The repellent that I was using had 40% DEET. I had an iPhone in the pocket of my cargo shorts, and the DEET was carried by sweat from my leg to the pocket. When I took the phone out, the plastic aftermarket case that it was in was pretty well eaten up, but not the phone itself. I guess a lot would also depend on the amount of DEET thats in the product (40% was of the highest that I had noticed), but I'd avoid it altogether around plastic and rubber.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Sparky98
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
East Texas
Jul 19, 2010 19:48 |  #8

My truck has a leather wrapped steering wheel and sunscreen has discolored some spots on the leather but sweaty, dirty hands do the same thing because the leather is too soft. I have never had sunscreen stain anything else. I have left my fingerprints etched into a pair of binoculars because I had DEET on my hands. Now when I use sunscreen or DEET I wash my hands with hand sanitizer to get the bad stuff off my palms and fingerstips. So far that has worked for me.

Joe
5DIII

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Jul 19, 2010 19:50 |  #9
banned

Holy crap I didn't know that about deet...

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009
WI
Jul 20, 2010 02:44 |  #10

Dont know why bugs dont bother me. Must be still saturated in insecticides from doing pest control for 2 yrs.:lol:

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

sponsored links

3,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunscreen/bug repellent and cameras
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.