Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 15:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help, I'm about to pour Isopropyl alcohol into my 30D!

folville
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Dec 2006
MN
Jul 25, 2010 15:47 |  #1

My 30D, like many othersexternal link, has a faulty shutter button (likely from corrosion, dirt, oils, etc seeping into the shutter button assembly). Because Canon demands several hundred dollars for the fix, and I'm not confident stripping the body down, I've stumbled upon another route that just may work.

Apparently, some users have reported success by pouring a spoonful of pure isopropyl alcohol into the battery compartmentexternal link and letting it run through to the shutter button, pressing and twisting the button while the alcohol runs through.

The pure alcohol should not damage circuitry because it does not conduct electricity. I am slightly concerned that it will only solve the corrosion without actually removing it, perhaps worsening the problem.

It sounds a bit mad, and I don't doubt that more effective (but riskier or expensive) options exist. However, I'm selling the camera to a friend who's about to leave the country and cannot wait for an authorized repair. Plus, money is tight.

Has anyone done this before?

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

sponsored links
Kafn8td
Joined Feb 2007
Minnesooooooota
Jul 25, 2010 16:57 |  #2

I've seen isopropyl used on other electronics before. You can also go down to Radio Shack and get a zero wash product which is safe on plastics and electronics.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
38,874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 25, 2010 17:20 |  #3

Household IPA is not pure IPA like what is used industrially. Household IPA has water, and that itself may be the source of problems internal to the camera. If you can lay your hands on 100% IPS from a pharmacist, that might work, but I strongly suggest no using ordinary household over-the-counter IPA.

You might simply want to take advantage of Canon USA 'loyalty program' and get a factory refurb 50D body using the dead 30D in exchange for the discounted purchase.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jul 25, 2010 17:32 |  #4

I want to pass on something my brother told me. He worked as a slot tech in Reno, went to school for it and spent 20 years doing it. Because everyone was a smoker then, and the slots were not hermetically sealed, they got coated in smoke eventually. Instead of sending them out or buying that expensive cleaner, they just washed them, in warm soapy water. Yes, those green motherboard looking things. They dipped them in a tank with warm soapy water then rinsed them in warm clean water.

The secret is to let them dry for 24 hours before running any juice through them.

I'd say, do it. Make sure you take both batteries out first. Maybe use some canned air to blow the alcohol through, which might help with the particles washed out too.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,137 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse
Jul 25, 2010 17:39 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #5

If you have a Grainger, Fastenal, or Graybar branch locally try and find a product called CRC Contact Cleaner 2000.

It's what we use on PLC cards that make the cost of a Canon body look like a drop in the bucket.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

folville
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Dec 2006
MN
Jul 25, 2010 17:45 |  #6

Thanks for the replies: I'm going to use 99% pure isopropyl or higher; it's the only thing I would feel relatively comfortable putting through the camera.

If you have a Grainger, Fastenal, or Graybar branch locally try and find a product called CRC Contact Cleaner 2000.

Sorry, I don't believe we have any other these within reach.

About the Canon loyalty program, I've heard from others a trade-in on a 30D might bring the 50D price down to about $600 or so. That's not bad, but unfortunately, it's well outside the range of what I can afford on this repair (hence the alcohol).

I hate treading uncharted waters, but I'll probably go through with it tomorrow afternoon: I'll return with a full report.

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007
London, UK
Jul 26, 2010 07:41 as a reply to folville's post |  #7

I would definitely try to get hold of some residue free contact cleaner before pouring IPA into it.

At least with the spray contact cleaners + tube nozzle you can hold the camera upside down and spray the crap out of the switch area. Any excess fluid will then drain down and out and not into the body.

** Edit **

OOps scratch that just saw the vid, you are going through the battery compartment..
I would still source and try the contact cleaner first.

Oh yeah don't forget to pull the button CR battery out as well.

Good luck!

folville
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Dec 2006
MN
Jul 26, 2010 09:02 |  #8

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll be sure to record video of this venture, and post photos (hopefully from the newly functional 30D).

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.
Jul 26, 2010 12:01 |  #9

We can get that at the local auto parts store. Great stuff.

dave kadolph wrote in post #10601476external link

It's what we use on PLC cards that make the cost of a Canon body look like a drop in the bucket.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Humboldt, SK Canada
Jul 26, 2010 13:22 |  #10

dave kadolph wrote in post #10601476external link

That stuff is awesome.
We've got some at work that I just used recently to clean off some thermal compound from a heatsink, and it made very short work of it and left an absolutely spotless surface. Works considerably better than plain iso for cleaning PCBs.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/external link
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Jul 26, 2010 14:02 |  #11

folville wrote in post #10600993external link
My 30D, like many othersexternal link, has a faulty shutter button (likely from corrosion, dirt, oils, etc seeping into the shutter button assembly). Because Canon demands several hundred dollars for the fix, and I'm not confident stripping the body down, I've stumbled upon another route that just may work.

Apparently, some users have reported success by pouring a spoonful of pure isopropyl alcohol into the battery compartmentexternal link and letting it run through to the shutter button, pressing and twisting the button while the alcohol runs through.

The pure alcohol should not damage circuitry because it does not conduct electricity. I am slightly concerned that it will only solve the corrosion without actually removing it, perhaps worsening the problem.

It sounds a bit mad, and I don't doubt that more effective (but riskier or expensive) options exist. However, I'm selling the camera to a friend who's about to leave the country and cannot wait for an authorized repair. Plus, money is tight.

Has anyone done this before?

Not sure where you got that. Not only is it electrically conductive, it's flammable.

Get some decent contact cleaner. Dielectric, non flammable and no residue. Do it the right way.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010
South Central, Alaska
Jul 26, 2010 14:07 as a reply to saea501's post |  #12

Keep in mind that there might be some lubricating grease somewhere in there that could get cleaned away with your endeavor. but then again, if it bricks you always have an excuse to buy a new body!

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

kgaler
51 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Connecticut
Jul 26, 2010 14:37 as a reply to dwarfcow's post |  #13

I'm a EE and wash PCB's with soap/water all the time, BUT, I know if all the parts on the PCB are washable. You can't know that. I also use pure alcohol depending on the flux type but still some parts are not washable. When the PCB's are made the non-washable parts they are covered to prevent the liquid from getting in them.

So it will be risky but if you try it make sure that you shake it out well and then put in your electric oven with the door open on the broil position. Set the temp to NO MORE than about 100 - 110DegF. Use a thermometer to make sure it doesn't go any higher and melt your camera. Leave it there for about an hour to make sure it's completely dried out. Let it cool before adding the batteries and turning it on. (Oh yeah, make sure you take out the batteries.)

Good Luck

basman007
82 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Jul 26, 2010 15:07 |  #14

---------------

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sj-photography/external link

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Jul 26, 2010 18:19 |  #15

All alcohol has water it in; as soon as it's exposed to any normal air, your likelihood of having anything purer than 95% is just about zero.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links

29,784 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help, I'm about to pour Isopropyl alcohol into my 30D!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.