Road Trip: Zion National Park or Grand Canyon?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 25 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 16:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS
Poll"Zion National Park vs. Grand Canyon"

Zion National Park
90%
Grand Canyon
10%

30 voters, 30 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS

ninhja
Joined Nov 2009
867 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

I am planning a a roadtrip in August and wonder which would be more fun/photographically rewarding place to go. Going to both is STILL an option, but if you had to choose one, which would it be? Also if you know of great stops along the way, let me know! ( I know there's Las Vegas :) )

Seeing, as I've never been to both, what are some nice spots for photographs as well as activities? I know a bunch of you POTN'ers have been to these places :lol:;)

I will be going from Los Angeles or San Diego.

Post #1, Jul 25, 2010 16:29:50

Flickr
external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
pudgy_groundhog
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
1,060 posts
Hudson Valley (NY)
[MORE/SHARE]

How long do you have? If you have a week, do the loop of the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce. It's going to be extremely hot and the north rim and Bryce will give a little relief since they are at higher elevations.

While the Grand Canyon is impressive, I actually prefer Zion (and this is just for overall experience, not just for photos). If you don't hike, I don't think you need that much time at the GC.

Post #2, Jul 26, 2010 09:29:00

- Katherine
pictures from the pudgeexternal link

Robert ­ Zurfluh
Joined Mar 2010
356 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

Zion all the way :)

Post #3, Jul 26, 2010 09:31:54 as a reply to pudgy_groundhog's post 2 minutes earlier.

Canon6D, Canon7D, EF16-35L, EF24-105L, EF28, EF-S60, EF135L, EF70-300DO, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with 054 Ballhead

ninhja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2009
867 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Planning to go for 4-5 days.

My friends and I are open to hiking. The loop sounds enticing. Thanks for the tip!

Post #4, Jul 26, 2010 10:48:54

Flickr
external link

chen5108
Joined Nov 2007
79 posts
Seattle
[MORE/SHARE]

Definitely Zion, plenty of interesting sites to see and photograph. Make sure you hike Angels Landing and if you do, don't stop at "chicken out point" =) have fun and post your shots when you get back.

Post #5, Jul 26, 2010 13:58:17

www.brianschen.comexternal link

Canon 5dmkII | Canon 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MkII | EF 35mm f/1.4L | 430EX | 580EX II

sponsored links
pudgy_groundhog
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
1,060 posts
Hudson Valley (NY)
[MORE/SHARE]

btw, this website is useful for listing all the parks and a handy table with driving distances:

http://www.americansou​thwest.net/external link

If you have to choose between the two, I would choose Zion. But you could probably still swing the loop (especially if it's really hot during the day - you can do sunrise, drive when it's hot, then hike/photos in early evening/sunset).

Post #6, Jul 27, 2010 10:12:05

- Katherine
pictures from the pudgeexternal link

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
1,906 posts
Local Yocal, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you go to Zion then it could be worth your extra time to hit Bryce Canyon National Park too. Since I'll be in Vegas for a week at the end of Aug I'm planning day trips out to Zion and Bryce, and also the Valley of Fire (NV). Possibly, if time allows, then another day trip out to Red Rock Canyon.

The last time I did a day trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon the day was extremely hazy since Monsoon storms were in and around the area most of the day.

Post #7, Jul 27, 2010 12:03:38 as a reply to pudgy_groundhog's post 1 hour earlier.

Win
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2006
1,157 posts
Toquerville, UT
[MORE/SHARE]

Zion will give you much more for your money. Like others said, you can also see Bryce for a day, it's only about 90 minutes from Zion. You'll pass through
Red Canyon and a hour spent there is well worth it.

Zion really has 4 areas, you'll want to see some of each. Main Canyon has the shuttle and many trails. East Side is outside the tunnel and doesn't have any real trails but you can hike many of the washes. Kolob Terrace Rd area is well worth a trip, especially in the evening. Last is the Kolob Fingers, a bit of a ride up I-15, about 35 miles from the main park entrance.

Win

Post #8, Jul 27, 2010 12:50:54 as a reply to spotz04's post 47 minutes earlier.

Gear List
Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.c​omexternal link

Boo-Man
Joined Nov 2009
337 posts
Oviedo, FL
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Zion I liked much more, Coming from florida i liked them both but zion your in the canyon and in the grand canyon your on top and there are way to many people at the south rim of the GC. If your going to go to the canyon go to the north rim, so much better.

Post #9, Jul 30, 2010 11:38:03

Looking for: Manfrotto 055XWNB Tripod Legs
FOR SALE: Canon E1 Handstraps

Echoherbie
Joined Feb 2009
55 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I will be in Las Vegas in mid to late December. I have the same question. If i do a day trip, where should i go? Zion/Bryce or GC in late December.

Thanks in advance for all advices.

Post #10, Oct 13, 2011 00:06:16 as a reply to Boo-Man's post over 1 year earlier.

Echoherbie
Joined Feb 2009
55 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Echoherbie wrote in post #13243821external link
I will be in Las Vegas in mid to late December. I have the same question. If i do a day trip, where should i go? Zion/Bryce or GC in late December.

I know the poll shows that most people suggested Zion. But is the weather in December going to make any difference to the decision.

Thanks.

Post #11, Oct 13, 2011 01:33:47

sponsored links
Win
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2006
1,157 posts
Toquerville, UT
[MORE/SHARE]

Zion is three hours from Las Vegas, I'm not sure how far the South Rim of the GC is. If you're staying overnight, you could see some of Zion and Bryce in one day. Weather could be an issue at Bryce in December. How about going to Red Rock, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire, all in the Vegas area?

Win

Post #12, Oct 13, 2011 10:22:11

Gear List
Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.c​omexternal link

Geonerd
Joined May 2009
538 posts
Aridzona
[MORE/SHARE]

Zion gets bloody hot in August. Highs around 100, with monsoonal humidity likely. Personally, I'd aim for North Rim, Bryce, or maybe Cedar Breaks. Subtracting two travel days leaves you only 2~3 days to shoot. IMO: Pick one of the above and stay put; hike some trails, take your time, and make some nice pictures.

With your limited time, I'd suggest you just blast up from LA/SD to wherever you are going. The desert along I-15 holds little of interest this time of year. Vegas? What for??

Are you camping or getting a room?

Post #13, Oct 13, 2011 14:50:28

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

Echoherbie
Joined Feb 2009
55 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Win wrote in post #13245267external link
Zion is three hours from Las Vegas, I'm not sure how far the South Rim of the GC is. If you're staying overnight, you could see some of Zion and Bryce in one day. Weather could be an issue at Bryce in December. How about going to Red Rock, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire, all in the Vegas area?

Win

Hi Win,

I agree with you. After reading up further, i think the weather is going to be an issue for Bryce. I will stick to South Rim of GC this time (its about 4 hours from LV). Will visit Zion and Bryce in my next trip at a better time. Really appreciate your feedback.

Post #14, Oct 13, 2011 19:38:41

Geonerd
Joined May 2009
538 posts
Aridzona
[MORE/SHARE]

Echoherbie wrote in post #13243821external link

If you're on a genuine (1) day trip, Zion is MUCH closer. GC (south rim) is around 5 hours away - you'll spend the whole day in the dumb car, and will probably miss sunrise and sunset. Zion is about 2 1/2 hours up the road. Don't try to visit Zion AND Bryce in one day - again, you'll spend the whole day driving and will return with little more than pot-shot images.

If you can stay a night, the Big Gulch, or a Zion+Bryce combo becomes more practical.

In terms of scenery, I don't think there's much to choose between them; all three parks are stupendously beautiful in the winter. Zion does have the greatest variety of scenery.

Post #15, Oct 13, 2011 22:31:44

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Road Trip: Zion National Park or Grand Canyon?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES