Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Zion National Park vs. Grand Canyon
Zion National Park 26 89.66%
Grand Canyon 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th of July 2010 (Sun)   #1
ninhja

Default Road Trip: Zion National Park or Grand Canyon?

I am planning a a roadtrip in August and wonder which would be more fun/photographically rewarding place to go. Going to both is STILL an option, but if you had to choose one, which would it be? Also if you know of great stops along the way, let me know! ( I know there's Las Vegas )

Seeing, as I've never been to both, what are some nice spots for photographs as well as activities? I know a bunch of you POTN'ers have been to these places

I will be going from Los Angeles or San Diego.

Flickr
ninhja is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of July 2010 (Mon)   #2
pudgy_groundhog

Default Re: Road Trip: Zion National Park or Grand Canyon?

How long do you have? If you have a week, do the loop of the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce. It's going to be extremely hot and the north rim and Bryce will give a little relief since they are at higher elevations.

While the Grand Canyon is impressive, I actually prefer Zion (and this is just for overall experience, not just for photos). If you don't hike, I don't think you need that much time at the GC.

pictures from the pudge
pudgy_groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2010 (Mon)   #3
Robert Zurfluh

Zion all the way
Old 26th of July 2010 (Mon)   #4
ninhja

Planning to go for 4-5 days.

My friends and I are open to hiking. The loop sounds enticing. Thanks for the tip!

Flickr
ninhja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2010 (Mon)   #5
chen5108

Definitely Zion, plenty of interesting sites to see and photograph. Make sure you hike Angels Landing and if you do, don't stop at "chicken out point" =) have fun and post your shots when you get back.

Canon 5dmkII | Canon 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MkII | EF 35mm f/1.4L | 430EX | 580EX II

Last edited by chen5108 : 26th of July 2010 (Mon) at 14:03.
chen5108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of July 2010 (Tue)   #6
pudgy_groundhog

btw, this website is useful for listing all the parks and a handy table with driving distances:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/

If you have to choose between the two, I would choose Zion. But you could probably still swing the loop (especially if it's really hot during the day - you can do sunrise, drive when it's hot, then hike/photos in early evening/sunset).

pictures from the pudge
pudgy_groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of July 2010 (Tue)   #7
spotz04

If you go to Zion then it could be worth your extra time to hit Bryce Canyon National Park too. Since I'll be in Vegas for a week at the end of Aug I'm planning day trips out to Zion and Bryce, and also the Valley of Fire (NV). Possibly, if time allows, then another day trip out to Red Rock Canyon.

The last time I did a day trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon the day was extremely hazy since Monsoon storms were in and around the area most of the day.
Old 27th of July 2010 (Tue)   #8
Win

Zion will give you much more for your money. Like others said, you can also see Bryce for a day, it's only about 90 minutes from Zion. You'll pass through
Red Canyon and a hour spent there is well worth it.

Zion really has 4 areas, you'll want to see some of each. Main Canyon has the shuttle and many trails. East Side is outside the tunnel and doesn't have any real trails but you can hike many of the washes. Kolob Terrace Rd area is well worth a trip, especially in the evening. Last is the Kolob Fingers, a bit of a ride up I-15, about 35 miles from the main park entrance.

Win

Gear List

Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.com
Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of July 2010 (Fri)   #9
Boo-Man
User is banned from forums

Zion I liked much more, Coming from florida i liked them both but zion your in the canyon and in the grand canyon your on top and there are way to many people at the south rim of the GC. If your going to go to the canyon go to the north rim, so much better.
Boo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #10
Echoherbie

I will be in Las Vegas in mid to late December. I have the same question. If i do a day trip, where should i go? Zion/Bryce or GC in late December.

Thanks in advance for all advices.
Echoherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #11
Echoherbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoherbie View Post
I will be in Las Vegas in mid to late December. I have the same question. If i do a day trip, where should i go? Zion/Bryce or GC in late December.

I know the poll shows that most people suggested Zion. But is the weather in December going to make any difference to the decision.

Thanks.
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #12
Win

Zion is three hours from Las Vegas, I'm not sure how far the South Rim of the GC is. If you're staying overnight, you could see some of Zion and Bryce in one day. Weather could be an issue at Bryce in December. How about going to Red Rock, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire, all in the Vegas area?

Win

Gear List

Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.com
Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #13
Geonerd

Zion gets bloody hot in August. Highs around 100, with monsoonal humidity likely. Personally, I'd aim for North Rim, Bryce, or maybe Cedar Breaks. Subtracting two travel days leaves you only 2~3 days to shoot. IMO: Pick one of the above and stay put; hike some trails, take your time, and make some nice pictures.

With your limited time, I'd suggest you just blast up from LA/SD to wherever you are going. The desert along I-15 holds little of interest this time of year. Vegas? What for??

Are you camping or getting a room?
Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #14
Echoherbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
Zion is three hours from Las Vegas, I'm not sure how far the South Rim of the GC is. If you're staying overnight, you could see some of Zion and Bryce in one day. Weather could be an issue at Bryce in December. How about going to Red Rock, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire, all in the Vegas area?

Win
Hi Win,

I agree with you. After reading up further, i think the weather is going to be an issue for Bryce. I will stick to South Rim of GC this time (its about 4 hours from LV). Will visit Zion and Bryce in my next trip at a better time. Really appreciate your feedback.
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #15
Geonerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoherbie View Post

If you're on a genuine (1) day trip, Zion is MUCH closer. GC (south rim) is around 5 hours away - you'll spend the whole day in the dumb car, and will probably miss sunrise and sunset. Zion is about 2 1/2 hours up the road. Don't try to visit Zion AND Bryce in one day - again, you'll spend the whole day driving and will return with little more than pot-shot images.

If you can stay a night, the Big Gulch, or a Zion+Bryce combo becomes more practical.

In terms of scenery, I don't think there's much to choose between them; all three parks are stupendously beautiful in the winter. Zion does have the greatest variety of scenery.
Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote