Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of March 2012 (Mon)   #1411
Quiexo

Default Re: Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens

First time posting some pictures in this thread. Went to a PIAF exhibition in Perth by some Korean guy by the name of Choi Keong Hwa. Something to do with "carnival of colour and plastic mimics and honours the beauty in nature as well as the processes of decay that are part of being alive"....um, yeah...anyways, thought it would be a good chance to use my Samyang 14mm to take some shots of my bubby and wife. Must admit, manual focus was pretty hard, especially with a 9 month old baby who just cannot possibly stay still...had to resort to sticking it to about 0.35-0.5m, turning on LIveView to 10x magnification, and either moving towards my bubby, or waiting for her to move to me!

Have to say though, really starting to love this lens...haven't actually had a chance to take some landscape shots with it, so I have mainly been taking people shots...and yes, it's not the most "ideal' portrait lens, but for me, there's just something about shooting wide open with a UWA lens like this that makes it pretty cool...

Old 5th of March 2012 (Mon)   #1412
Mookalafalas
Goldmember

Nice!! And it's nice to see people and some indoor stuff in the thread.
Old 6th of March 2012 (Tue)   #1413
Kris P.

Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a while. You all have some great stuff, and this is me learning the hard way that landscape photography is a lot more difficult than I thought! Haha
Unexplained haystacks by puga882006, on Flickr
PS: Those are incredible images Frizzle, Igora, Mookala, and everyone else!!

Last edited by Kris P. : 6th of March 2012 (Tue) at 12:04.
Kris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2012 (Tue)   #1414
motleypixel

Close-focus, wide-angle:

motleypixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1415
igora90

I was expecting a little bit bigger northern lights show last night, but I'm going to give another shot tonight

IMG_4528 by IGORA90, on Flickr
Facebook
igora90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1416
jimmiegrunde

I've just browsed through this entire thread and WOW! Holy moly, there's a ton of nice pictures in here.

I'm really considering buying this lens, although I have one question (and it might be a stupid one, but hey);
Will E-TTL work when using this lens together with an Speedlite 430 EXii?
Sorry if it's been asked and answered already!

Thanks alot in advance!
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1417
mosesport

Quote:
Originally Posted by igora90 View Post

IMG_43201 by IGORA90, on Flickr
You've got pretty much the same gear as me...and I think you've sold me on this lens with this shot. Awesome work! I think I'll be picking this up.
mosesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1418
mosesport

Also, my preferred shooting is nightlife/club/party type stuff. Anyone shot any nightlife with this lens? I'm curious if the manual focus would be too much of a hassle in a club environment. Thoughts?
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1419
motleypixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesport View Post
Also, my preferred shooting is nightlife/club/party type stuff. Anyone shot any nightlife with this lens? I'm curious if the manual focus would be too much of a hassle in a club environment. Thoughts?
it'll work, but it will take some practice. for instance, if you are shooting landscape f/5.6+ and the closest object to the lens is further than say about 10 feet, they it's just a matter of finding the hyper-focal setting, which on most of these lenses is at 1.5 meters on the focus scale. at that point it's just shot-away. for objects closer than 10' aka close-focus/wide-angle, esp. at f/2.8 you will need to really get comfortable with the lens to nail better than 50%. I still use LV and 10X zoom which close subjects when there's enough light and time.

@jimmie, e-ttl in AV mode should work fine.
motleypixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1420
Quiexo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motleypixel View Post
it'll work, but it will take some practice. for instance, if you are shooting landscape f/5.6+ and the closest object to the lens is further than say about 10 feet, they it's just a matter of finding the hyper-focal setting, which on most of these lenses is at 1.5 meters on the focus scale. at that point it's just shot-away. for objects closer than 10' aka close-focus/wide-angle, esp. at f/2.8 you will need to really get comfortable with the lens to nail better than 50%. I still use LV and 10X zoom which close subjects when there's enough light and time.

Agree with ya, MotleyPixel, pretty damn hard to close focus with this lens without Liveview...so given the fact that the 5Dc doesn't have Liveview, and that the lighting is pretty dark in night club situation, you will have your work cut out for ya, Mosesport, should you want to close focus...on the other hand, if your subjects are not that close, then set it focal length to 1.5m, aperture to f5.6-8, and fire away...

Question I do have though, can this lens be used in AV mode? Doesn't seem to work for me, have to use it in manual mode...in both AV and manual mode, the aperture registers at "00", so is it body-related, or do I need to have an AF-confirm chip installed to get the aperture registered on my 1D3?
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #1421
igora90

Quote:
You've got pretty much the same gear as me...and I think you've sold me on this lens with this shot. Awesome work! I think I'll be picking this up.
Thanks! It's an awesome lens, something that I can always rely on
Facebook
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #1422
jimmiegrunde

Thanks for the answer, motleypixel! Hm, in AV, you say? Would it work in full manual too?

Cheers!
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #1423
mosesport

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleypixel View Post

Thanks for the info! I've heard a few people refer to "hyper-focal" setting now. Are you meaning that there's just some sort of 'sweet spot' aperture and distance setting that will always get everything in focus every time? I'm not really familiar with that term.
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #1424
igora90

Here is another one, like the shape of the aurora, looks like fire blast

IMG_45161 by IGORA90, on Flickr
Facebook
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #1425
gh patriot

Hey guys I had the lens profile working with LR3 just fine. It show up as a lens profile choice for RAW, jpeg or tiff. If I remember I had to install the profile in two different lens profile folders, it was only working in jpeg and tiff at first. I just got LR3 and the lens profile only works with jpeg and tiff files, its not even a choice when working with RAW files. I've tried installing it in all the lens profile folders I can find and it still wont show up when working with a raw file. Im using windows7 64bit.

Any ideas how to get the profile to work with lightroom 4 raw files?