Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #1
tonilg

Default Do I need to calibrate my lenses for my 7D?

I just got my 7d last week and most of my pictures look good unless I zoom in and then their pretty soft. I know it's because I am just learning but I have read a lot of threads on here about calibrating so I'm just wondering if that is something you do every time you get a new lens. I have a canon 85 1.8 and a Tamron 28-75. Thank you!
tonilg is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #2
Justin_Thyme

Default Re: Do I need to calibrate my lenses for my 7D?

IF the lens shoots fine on other bodies then get the camera calibrated, especially if its under warranty and will cost you nothing. If you get the body back and have issues with certain lenses or all of them then send off the lenses. NEVER have the lenses calibrated to the body then they are useless on any other body and no reputable camera shop would do it that way. Correct way is to calibrate the body using a tool lens and calibrate the lens using a tool body and use the same facility to do all of it. I send everything to Canon Jameburg NJ and all of my lenses work spot on with all of my bodies.
Justin_Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #3
cbu18

what does that process look like? hell, i dont even know if my 7d needs calibration.

if it is under warranty do you just pay for shipping and handling?

and what about my sigma 30 1.4? how do i ensure i am getting the best pics from it. i mean they are good, but i have this nagging feeling that for whatever reason i am missing on super great pictures.
cbu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #4
rral22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbu18 View Post
what does that process look like? hell, i dont even know if my 7d needs calibration.

if it is under warranty do you just pay for shipping and handling?

and what about my sigma 30 1.4? how do i ensure i am getting the best pics from it. i mean they are good, but i have this nagging feeling that for whatever reason i am missing on super great pictures.
If you don't know it needs it, don't do it. Are you happy with the pictures? Then you are fine.

That "nagging feeling" is, I expect, the result of reading too many posts from pixel peeping measurebaters on internet forums. Relax. Enjoy your camera and lenses until you actually find a problem.
rral22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #5
SiaoP

Are you just imagining it? Take some shots on a tripod and see if they are any sharper than when you shoot handheld. It could be your technique.
Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #6
cbu18

i think what gets me is i see people taking pictures with their sigma 30mm and i have no idea how much pp was done. then i see a few that are tack sharp and i start expecting that from the lens.
cbu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2010 (Tue)   #7
tonilg

I was just asking because I hear so much about calibrating that I wasn't sure if it was something everyone does. I'm pretty sure the reason my images aren't as sharp as others is camera shake and not knowing how to resize and sharpen my images in pp.
tonilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of August 2010 (Wed)   #8
Veemac
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rral22 View Post
If you don't know it needs it, don't do it. Are you happy with the pictures? Then you are fine.

That "nagging feeling" is, I expect, the result of reading too many posts from pixel peeping measurebaters on internet forums. Relax. Enjoy your camera and lenses until you actually find a problem.
+1,000,000.

If you don't see a problem with your lenses, then don't try to create or imagine one that isn't there. If you want to check them, make sure your methodology isn't flawed (as it so often is in internet forum lens tests); put the camera on a tripod in good light, use a low ISO and high shutter speed (above 1/FL), shoot a subject with good contrast for the AF to lock onto and use a remote release or the self-timer.

Too many people have read "measurebator" threads about sharpness and micro-adjust, so they go take a handheld picture of their dirty sock from 6 inches away at 1/4 sec. shutter speed on 3200 ISO in a room with one table lamp lit, then post a 500% crop of it and ask "Is my lens sharp?". (Okay, maybe over-exaggerated a bit, but you get the point.)

FWIW, I've never had to micro-adjust any of my lenses. I go out and take photos of real things (not test charts, batteries, water bottles, yardsticks, etc.), then load the images onto my computer and look at them. If they look sharp and there are no obvious errors in focusing (that aren't user malfunction), I call it good and don't lose sleep over it.

Last edited by Veemac : 4th of August 2010 (Wed) at 02:27.
Veemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of August 2010 (Wed)   #9
JPayne

I agree. I thought the same things when coming from a 400D to a 7D and then pixel peeping.

The 7Ds images do look soft at 100%, they benefit hugely from an unsharp mask applied in PP. I do this religiously with all of my shots and I can get razor sharp images from this technique.

www.jpayne.co.uk
www.jpayneblog.co.uk
JPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of August 2010 (Sun)   #10
LibertyToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilg View Post
I just got my 7d last week and most of my pictures look good unless I zoom in and then their pretty soft. I know it's because I am just learning but I have read a lot of threads on here about calibrating so I'm just wondering if that is something you do every time you get a new lens. I have a canon 85 1.8 and a Tamron 28-75. Thank you!
On my 7D, I recently replaced my Canon 17-85mm with a 24-105mm L. The difference in IQ was extremely noticeable. In addition, the focusing on the new lens is much more accurate. I think the 7D is a different camera with a high quality lens on it. I had a Rebel XT and the 17-85mm was fine on it. On the 7D, it isn't as good. In my opinion, the 7D is pretty demanding on lenses. Just a thought....

Are you keeping you shutter speed as high as possible? It makes a big difference.

I calibrated my 17-85mm on my 7D and it did help a lot. I'd calibrate it and see if you notice a difference.

RE: The comment from an earlier post to "put the camera on a tripod in good light, use a low ISO and high shutter speed (above 1/FL), shoot a subject with good contrast for the AF to lock onto and use a remote release or the self-timer." is great advice. Personally I use the 2 sec self timer and that seems to work fine (a remote release would be better). Also shoot in M mode to keep everything consistent.

Last edited by LibertyToad : 8th of August 2010 (Sun) at 12:47.
LibertyToad is offline   Reply With Quote