Do I need to calibrate my lenses for my 7D?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 03 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 09:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tonilg
Joined Jul 2010
97 posts
Bellingham, Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

I just got my 7d last week and most of my pictures look good unless I zoom in and then their pretty soft. I know it's because I am just learning but I have read a lot of threads on here about calibrating so I'm just wondering if that is something you do every time you get a new lens. I have a canon 85 1.8 and a Tamron 28-75. Thank you!

Post #1, Aug 03, 2010 09:20:31

http://www.tonilynnpho​tography.com/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Justin_Thyme
Joined Jun 2008
984 posts
Central NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

IF the lens shoots fine on other bodies then get the camera calibrated, especially if its under warranty and will cost you nothing. If you get the body back and have issues with certain lenses or all of them then send off the lenses. NEVER have the lenses calibrated to the body then they are useless on any other body and no reputable camera shop would do it that way. Correct way is to calibrate the body using a tool lens and calibrate the lens using a tool body and use the same facility to do all of it. I send everything to Canon Jameburg NJ and all of my lenses work spot on with all of my bodies.

Post #2, Aug 03, 2010 09:31:18

cbu18
Joined Apr 2006
61 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

what does that process look like? hell, i dont even know if my 7d needs calibration.

if it is under warranty do you just pay for shipping and handling?

and what about my sigma 30 1.4? how do i ensure i am getting the best pics from it. i mean they are good, but i have this nagging feeling that for whatever reason i am missing on super great pictures.

Post #3, Aug 03, 2010 09:52:31

rral22
Joined Jul 2008
883 posts
Saskatchewan, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

cbu18 wrote in post #10653372external link
what does that process look like? hell, i dont even know if my 7d needs calibration.

if it is under warranty do you just pay for shipping and handling?

and what about my sigma 30 1.4? how do i ensure i am getting the best pics from it. i mean they are good, but i have this nagging feeling that for whatever reason i am missing on super great pictures.

If you don't know it needs it, don't do it. Are you happy with the pictures? Then you are fine.

That "nagging feeling" is, I expect, the result of reading too many posts from pixel peeping measurebaters on internet forums. Relax. Enjoy your camera and lenses until you actually find a problem.

Post #4, Aug 03, 2010 09:59:45

SiaoP
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 posts
Atlanta
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you just imagining it? Take some shots on a tripod and see if they are any sharper than when you shoot handheld. It could be your technique.

Post #5, Aug 03, 2010 10:08:42

My Flickrexternal link | Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cbu18
Joined Apr 2006
61 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i think what gets me is i see people taking pictures with their sigma 30mm and i have no idea how much pp was done. then i see a few that are tack sharp and i start expecting that from the lens.

Post #6, Aug 03, 2010 10:15:02

tonilg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
97 posts
Bellingham, Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

I was just asking because I hear so much about calibrating that I wasn't sure if it was something everyone does. I'm pretty sure the reason my images aren't as sharp as others is camera shake and not knowing how to resize and sharpen my images in pp.

Post #7, Aug 03, 2010 10:18:32

http://www.tonilynnpho​tography.com/external link

Veemac
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
2,100 posts
Arizona, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

rral22 wrote in post #10653431external link
If you don't know it needs it, don't do it. Are you happy with the pictures? Then you are fine.

That "nagging feeling" is, I expect, the result of reading too many posts from pixel peeping measurebaters on internet forums. Relax. Enjoy your camera and lenses until you actually find a problem.

+1,000,000.

If you don't see a problem with your lenses, then don't try to create or imagine one that isn't there. If you want to check them, make sure your methodology isn't flawed (as it so often is in internet forum lens tests); put the camera on a tripod in good light, use a low ISO and high shutter speed (above 1/FL), shoot a subject with good contrast for the AF to lock onto and use a remote release or the self-timer.

Too many people have read "measurebator" threads about sharpness and micro-adjust, so they go take a handheld picture of their dirty sock from 6 inches away at 1/4 sec. shutter speed on 3200 ISO in a room with one table lamp lit, then post a 500% crop of it and ask "Is my lens sharp?". (Okay, maybe over-exaggerated a bit, but you get the point.)

FWIW, I've never had to micro-adjust any of my lenses. I go out and take photos of real things (not test charts, batteries, water bottles, yardsticks, etc.), then load the images onto my computer and look at them. If they look sharp and there are no obvious errors in focusing (that aren't user malfunction), I call it good and don't lose sleep over it.

Post #8, Aug 04, 2010 01:24:39

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

JPayne
Joined Oct 2007
525 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree. I thought the same things when coming from a 400D to a 7D and then pixel peeping.

The 7Ds images do look soft at 100%, they benefit hugely from an unsharp mask applied in PP. I do this religiously with all of my shots and I can get razor sharp images from this technique.

Post #9, Aug 04, 2010 03:32:34 as a reply to Veemac's post 2 hours earlier.

Canon 5D MKII | Canon 24-105L | Canon [COLOR="Blue"]70-200mm F4L IS |Canon 50mm F1.8 |Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro | Canon 430exII
www.jpayne.co.ukexternal link
www.jpayneblog.co.ukexternal link

LibertyToad
Joined Oct 2009
120 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tonilg wrote in post #10653201external link
I just got my 7d last week and most of my pictures look good unless I zoom in and then their pretty soft. I know it's because I am just learning but I have read a lot of threads on here about calibrating so I'm just wondering if that is something you do every time you get a new lens. I have a canon 85 1.8 and a Tamron 28-75. Thank you!

On my 7D, I recently replaced my Canon 17-85mm with a 24-105mm L. The difference in IQ was extremely noticeable. In addition, the focusing on the new lens is much more accurate. I think the 7D is a different camera with a high quality lens on it. I had a Rebel XT and the 17-85mm was fine on it. On the 7D, it isn't as good. In my opinion, the 7D is pretty demanding on lenses. Just a thought....

Are you keeping you shutter speed as high as possible? It makes a big difference.

I calibrated my 17-85mm on my 7D and it did help a lot. I'd calibrate it and see if you notice a difference.

RE: The comment from an earlier post to "put the camera on a tripod in good light, use a low ISO and high shutter speed (above 1/FL), shoot a subject with good contrast for the AF to lock onto and use a remote release or the self-timer." is great advice. Personally I use the 2 sec self timer and that seems to work fine (a remote release would be better). Also shoot in M mode to keep everything consistent.

Post #10, Aug 08, 2010 11:43:54

Canon 7D, 17-85mm USM IS, 70-300mm USM IS, 24-105mm f/4 USM IS L, 35mm f/2

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I need to calibrate my lenses for my 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES