Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 10 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 11:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

photocel on Elinchrom 300rx

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 10, 2010 11:27 |  #1

Hey all,

just curious if you must be on manual mode (not ettl) on the hotshoe of the camera to trigger the strobe properly?

I dont have a 3.5 mini jack to mini jack cord for my cybersync. I was testing the 300RX with the photocel option on and it seemed out of sync.

TIA!!!!!!!!!

alan

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links
Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Queens, NY
Aug 10, 2010 11:31 |  #2

No. You have to change the settings on the RX to read the number of pre-flashes. There's a smart detection thing built-in where you fire your camera/TTL flash and it automatically knows how many pre-fired flashes. You then leave that number there and the "eye" will automatically know when it's being triggered by an eTTL flash.

Check the manual. The menus could be different from BXRis.

Sean | Blogexternal link | Portfolioexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Aug 10, 2010 11:55 |  #3

OT, but time to invest in some skyports :)

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Aug 10, 2010 13:13 |  #4

Seanzky wrote in post #10694725external link
No. You have to change the settings on the RX to read the number of pre-flashes. There's a smart detection thing built-in where you fire your camera/TTL flash and it automatically knows how many pre-fired flashes. You then leave that number there and the "eye" will automatically know when it's being triggered by an eTTL flash.

Check the manual. The menus could be different from BXRis.

It doesn't exist on the RX's Sean.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Aug 10, 2010 13:14 |  #5

AlanU wrote in post #10694705external link
Hey all,

just curious if you must be on manual mode (not ettl) on the hotshoe of the camera to trigger the strobe properly?

I dont have a 3.5 mini jack to mini jack cord for my cybersync. I was testing the 300RX with the photocel option on and it seemed out of sync.

TIA!!!!!!!!!

alan

Short answer is that you have to be working in manual mode, all the way around. No preflashes.

Robert

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Queens, NY
Aug 10, 2010 13:31 |  #6

Really? That's shocking news to me. I could have sworn RX had that feature, too. Oh, well. I've been wrong about strobes' features before.

Sean | Blogexternal link | Portfolioexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Aug 10, 2010 13:41 |  #7

Seanzky wrote in post #10695441external link
Really? That's shocking news to me. I could have sworn RX had that feature, too. Oh, well. I've been wrong about strobes' features before.

Nope! Remember the RX's were already around and when the new RX's came out the only difference was the housing. More than likely when a new RX is released it will have some of the features of the BXRi's but I'm sure Elinchrom is very much aware of who is buying the gear and how it's being used. My guess is that number of RX owners that are really interested in using Speedlight's with the strobes is a VERY small number and not a feature that's even in demand. I'm sure this is why the RX's and the Ranger haven't changed.

Who knows what we'll see in the newer products but I'm pretty sure that Elinchrom knows who's using Rangers and RX's and will only make changes or implement features when it's a significant feature or upgrade. Outside of that RX and Ranger owners are shooting and not worried about features. :D

Robert

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Queens, NY
Aug 10, 2010 13:50 |  #8

That could be it, but I think putting features that seem to have no appeal to pros will only add flexibility in weird and random situations. I don't think it impedes a professional photographer's work flow. I'd still like to see Elinchrom put all these features there.

It's like driving a BMW with a passenger mirror that tilts down so you can see the curb when you parallel park. I'll never have to worry about that since I have a drive way, but it's still nice to have just in case. :)

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 10, 2010 20:58 |  #9

TMR Design wrote in post #10695351external link
Short answer is that you have to be working in manual mode, all the way around. No preflashes.

I figured that......lack of sleep is making me retarded.

Man it seems no one has male/male 3.5mm monojacks. Every store looks at me and says stereo is "modern" and mono is dead.....people that no nothing about photography :)

better order some stuff from Lon.

I'll order the el-skyport speed but since I have cybersyncs I thought I had the correct cord :(

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Aug 10, 2010 21:01 |  #10

AlanU wrote in post #10697957external link
I figured that......lack of sleep is making me retarded.

Man it seems no one has male/male 3.5mm monojacks. Every store looks at me and says stereo is "modern" and mono is dead.....people that no nothing about photography :)

better order some stuff from Lon.

I'll order the el-skyport speed but since I have cybersyncs I thought I had the correct cord :(

If you're looking for good, heavy duty 3.5mm sync cords with metal plugs and strain relief, send me a PM. ;)

Robert

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 10, 2010 22:12 |  #11

TMR Design wrote in post #10697987external link
If you're looking for good, heavy duty 3.5mm sync cords with metal plugs and strain relief, send me a PM. ;)

Why certainly Robert :)

sponsored links

1,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
photocel on Elinchrom 300rx
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.