Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 10 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 19:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 9D

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 10, 2010 19:11 |  #1

I just saw a patient of mine. He's in the film/TV industry (he does audio work). He dislikes the 5D & 7D because he's not fond of the audio that comes off them but he does what he has to because that's his work.

In any case, for a few visits now, we had been talking about Canon cameras because he saw a photo of my son posted on my operatory wall taken with my 7D. So to kill time during our procedures, we chat about stuff.

He just told me he just came from a commercial shoot and now they've got a new camera out. He said they shot the entire commercial with a "D9". But I think he meant "9D" because he also referred to my camera as the "D7". But allegedly it's from Canon. He said the camera looked smaller than the 7D (physical size).

So we'll see. I don't know of any other specs, I have no photos. Just that it's reported to be a little smaller in size than the 7D (and even then, that may or may not be true).

Like any other rumors, take it with a grain of salt. But there might be a 9D announced some time later this year if they're already using it to shoot commercials. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Socal
Aug 10, 2010 19:30 |  #2

if he can't tell a D7 from a 7D... i really don't know what to say...

Flickrexternal link

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 10, 2010 20:44 |  #3

Like I said. He mixes the audio for commercial and film. He's been in the industry for a few decades, so I'll personally cut him some slack when it comes to nomenclature. I'm just sharing what I heard. Not from someone who spoke to a salesman, or a rep, or on the phone. My patient saw the new camera being used to shoot a commercial. He knows enough that it's not a 5D2 nor a 7D, and that it's new and Canon's kicking it around for pre-release use.

Hence I thought I'd post it up in the rumor section just for shiggles. We'll see within the next few months one way or another.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Aug 10, 2010 20:48 |  #4

Kewl..hopefully we'll see it soon.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Aug 10, 2010 21:01 |  #5

Hmm... Maybe a D700? ;)

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 10, 2010 21:12 |  #6

Maybe it was a Nikon. D9? D90?(ooo, already in existence) D900?

Julian

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Aug 10, 2010 21:20 |  #7

D95 ? :)

Nikon/Fuji.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Aug 10, 2010 21:20 |  #8

No...no.....Leica D9 ? :). This is M9 + 35 AF points :lol:.

Nikon/Fuji.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Aug 10, 2010 21:21 |  #9

I'm thinking Noink D90... Does that model do video?

I'm a little surprised that he'd be that distraught over dSLR Audio. Pros don't usually use the track recorded on the actual camera but instead they work with stand-alone gizmos that give them a better handle on quality and levels.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 10, 2010 21:44 |  #10

Jay, you're absolutely right about that. He says some of the camera guys told him to setup the audio once they had the video rigs setup but he would just tell them to not worry about it and setup his own audio rig and mix it in later in post.

Julian

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Aug 10, 2010 21:48 |  #11

^If your patient was in the OR, he was probably hit up with some sedation. ;) Propofol perhaps? :)

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 10, 2010 21:54 |  #12

Michael Jackson's doctor. "Gimme some of that 'This is it' drug."

Julian

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Aug 10, 2010 22:00 |  #13

This patient of yours - obviously, he hates prime numbers.

;)

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 10, 2010 22:02 |  #14

More like odd numbers. Don't think he'd be a fan of mixing audio with the alleged D9/9D either. :lol: Hm... just finished the procedure so I won't be see him until his next cleaning recall. I'll see if he has a camera phone. I'll instruct him to snap a photo from the set next time. :lol:

Julian

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Europe
Aug 11, 2010 07:56 |  #15

Could be that the 60d will be called 9d instead or that he simply confused it with the D90 (or maybe even the D95). I think the latter is far more realistic. ;)

Flickrexternal link :: Gear

sponsored links

6,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 9D
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.