Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of August 2010 (Thu)   #1
mystic97z

Default can you make it doing this? or just hobby?

hey, i'm getting interested in digital video/cinematography, my main interest is shooting weddings and putting together videos like stillmotion, i'm aware of all the cost involved, but it seems you can recoup costs somewhat quickly, especially if your doing it for yourself, with a friend.

my wife and i are just now getting into photography and i'm looking into our next camera, i want to get a 7d for the video stuff, i know "some" people can do it, but is all this stuff mainly for a hobby, or can you actually make money doing it?
mystic97z is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of August 2010 (Thu)   #2
IUnknown

Default Re: can you make it doing this? or just hobby?

No reason why you should not. Where are you located? Don't under-estimate the cost. Video is not cheap. Get a 5d Mark II.
Old 12th of August 2010 (Thu)   #3
lecherro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
Don't under-estimate the cost. Video is not cheap. Get a 5d Mark II.
Some of the wisest words ever said, But let me add "Good Video" If you short yourself on one piece of gear it can affect your entire process. You dont have to spend a fortune, but yo do get what you pay for.
Old 12th of August 2010 (Thu)   #4
coloneltigh

Good video is awful video without clean, audible sound.

As far as the OP's original question, I think it's going to be difficult unless you can offer something that's considered unique and premium. Wedding videography has always been priced on a much lower scale than still wedding photography. Add into the equation that still guys now have HD-capable dSLRs and are doing "fusion" video and it's an uphill battle.

Lastly, I'd say that a dSLR isn't the way to go to do the type of videography you're talking about. There's effectively no autofocus and you have to focus by hand on a small screen with depth of field that's Super 35 (crop) or less (full-frame). Having been a focus puller, you don't want to be doing that during a wedding when you have one shot to hit your marks.

Last edited by coloneltigh : 12th of August 2010 (Thu) at 12:59. Reason: needed to specify wedding videography vs. photography
coloneltigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2010 (Thu)   #5
cwr89

I do this for both a hobby and a job. Technically I am a "production technician" what ever that means... Really I work at a company that produces both live events and HDTV programming, sometimes we do movie shootings and commercials too. I am pretty much the lowest on the foodchain as I am still in college but I do a fair amount of DP work (director of photography) and editing. I've got a few spots that I was a camera op for that are now running on national TV.
The real money comes in however on my freelance work. in just 3 months my T2i has paid for itself 3 times over. I've shot 5 or six local commercials, a few music videos, and a ton of public event videos that clients love as promo stuff. The trick to it all is that I have fun when I am doing freelance stuff. I love spend a day shooting an event and then spend the next week editing it and consulting with a client about changes.

I would recommend doing this as a hobby, come up with something creative and different than the other people that are out there. Have fun doing these projects, set realistic goals, and then market the hell out of yourself. You are right that some people can do it and others can't. it takes time, and work, and capitol on your part to get to the level where people are coming to you for the product but it is possible. Build relations too, contacts are really really important.
cwr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2010 (Thu)   #6
cwr89

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneltigh View Post
Good video is awful video without clean, audible sound.

As far as the OP's original question, I think it's going to be difficult unless you can offer something that's considered unique and premium. Wedding videography has always been priced on a much lower scale than still wedding photography. Add into the equation that still guys now have HD-capable dSLRs and are doing "fusion" video and it's an uphill battle.

Lastly, I'd say that a dSLR isn't the way to go to do the type of videography you're talking about. There's effectively no autofocus and you have to focus by hand on a small screen with depth of field that's Super 35 (crop) or less (full-frame). Having been a focus puller, you don't want to be doing that during a wedding when you have one shot to hit your marks.

This post is full of very good info. Especially the last line. if you've never pulled focus you need to start working on it every day or find someone that is a pro at it. I've done it (as a puller not a camera op) for a couple of months now and I still have trouble sometimes.
cwr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2010 (Fri)   #7
mystic97z

thanks guys for all the responses. this is deffinately going to be a weekend hobby for me, i'm really not interested in doing tv/public stuff, pretty much just weddings. i think i might have the startup money soon, enough for equiptment, but i don't have another person to shoot with me. well anyway your info was helpful. i think i want to try it a few times, and worst case scenario, if it doesn't pan out the equiptment is always worth a little if i need to sell it.
mystic97z is offline   Reply With Quote