FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 17:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jsinon
Joined Jun 2008
774 posts
Farmington, NH
[MORE/SHARE]

I need some help. I belong to a local photo group and when we meet we like to view each others work. Well for some reason that escapes my tiny little brain, when I put images on my 2 gig Lexar thumb drive from my MacBook Pro they can't be viewed using the Windows 7 laptop/projector used at our meetings. I would think jpegs are jpegs, but I'm not the most computer savy guy out there.

Any tips would be very helpful.

Post #1, Aug 16, 2010 17:59:43

Canon 7D Mk II, 17-40L, 70-200 f4L IS, and other stuff too.
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/external link
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MaxxuM
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,343 posts
Rio Grande Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

You saved them on a Mac as Jpeg's and now you cannot see them in Windows 7? What happens when you double click them in Windows? Is the flash drive formatted as FAT32? Do the files have the .jpg or jpeg extension? Perhaps they are aliases? The flash drive may be corrupt and needs to be reformatted.

Yes, jpeg's are pretty much universal unless they are encoded differently, but these days that's rare.

Post #2, Aug 16, 2010 21:00:52

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
Joined Dec 2006
5,566 posts
New Mexico, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

MaxxuM wrote in post #10734594external link
You saved them on a Mac as Jpeg's and now you cannot see them in Windows 7? What happens when you double click them in Windows? Is the flash drive formatted as FAT32? Do the files have the .jpg or jpeg extension? Perhaps they are aliases? The flash drive may be corrupt and needs to be reformatted.

Yes, jpeg's are pretty much universal unless they are encoded differently, but these days that's rare.

+1 to this. My office uses Macs AND PCs and this covers the most common incompatibility issues.

Post #3, Aug 18, 2010 10:39:28

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,334 posts
Montreal, QC
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah - no jpeg Ive done on my mac has ever faltered on my PC. There's either got to be another reason...

Post #4, Aug 18, 2010 10:42:43

strikerstu
Joined Aug 2006
353 posts
Leicester, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Could be something as simple as not seeing the file extension, try renaming the fil with .jpg after the name. Works for us sometimes.

Post #5, Aug 18, 2010 13:11:48 as a reply to LiberationFrequency's post 2 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Hannya
Joined Apr 2008
740 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi. Make sure you are not trying to view the _filename.jpg which are usually greyed out

Post #6, Aug 18, 2010 13:16:26

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Picsexternal link

harcosparky
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
2,315 posts
Harford County - ( Bel Air ) Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

I going with the Thumbdrive being formatted for the Mac and not in Fat32.

Every JPG I ever created has displayed on any system I put it on but there was this one time I put some JPG's from my Mac on a thumb drive and they did not work on a Windows machine. Thumbdrive was partitioned/formatted to be a Mac 'startup' device! ;)

Post #7, Aug 18, 2010 16:36:47

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
PC can't read jpegs from my Mac.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES