Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of August 2010 (Mon)   #1
jsinon

Default PC can't read jpegs from my Mac.

I need some help. I belong to a local photo group and when we meet we like to view each others work. Well for some reason that escapes my tiny little brain, when I put images on my 2 gig Lexar thumb drive from my MacBook Pro they can't be viewed using the Windows 7 laptop/projector used at our meetings. I would think jpegs are jpegs, but I'm not the most computer savy guy out there.

Any tips would be very helpful.
jsinon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of August 2010 (Mon)   #2
MaxxuM
Goldmember

Default Re: PC can't read jpegs from my Mac.

You saved them on a Mac as Jpeg's and now you cannot see them in Windows 7? What happens when you double click them in Windows? Is the flash drive formatted as FAT32? Do the files have the .jpg or jpeg extension? Perhaps they are aliases? The flash drive may be corrupt and needs to be reformatted.

Yes, jpeg's are pretty much universal unless they are encoded differently, but these days that's rare.
Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #3
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxuM View Post
You saved them on a Mac as Jpeg's and now you cannot see them in Windows 7? What happens when you double click them in Windows? Is the flash drive formatted as FAT32? Do the files have the .jpg or jpeg extension? Perhaps they are aliases? The flash drive may be corrupt and needs to be reformatted.

Yes, jpeg's are pretty much universal unless they are encoded differently, but these days that's rare.
+1 to this. My office uses Macs AND PCs and this covers the most common incompatibility issues.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #4
LiberationFrequency

Yeah - no jpeg Ive done on my mac has ever faltered on my PC. There's either got to be another reason...
LiberationFrequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #5
strikerstu

Could be something as simple as not seeing the file extension, try renaming the fil with .jpg after the name. Works for us sometimes.
strikerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #6
Hannya

Hi. Make sure you are not trying to view the _filename.jpg which are usually greyed out

Sports Pics
Hannya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #7
harcosparky
Goldmember

I going with the Thumbdrive being formatted for the Mac and not in Fat32.

Every JPG I ever created has displayed on any system I put it on but there was this one time I put some JPG's from my Mac on a thumb drive and they did not work on a Windows machine. Thumbdrive was partitioned/formatted to be a Mac 'startup' device!
harcosparky is offline   Reply With Quote