Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #1
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Default How do I securely hang a gallery wrap?

In commercial environments, matted/framed prints are hung with a secure locking mount system to prevent theft and also keep the piece from falling off the wall and hitting somebody.

I need a way to securely hang (unframed) gallery wraps on a wall. I've googled it to death and have found nothing. If you know of a method, I would appreciate the help.
Picture North Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of August 2010 (Wed)   #2
Mike-DT6
Goldmember

Default Re: How do I securely hang a gallery wrap?

This might provide a couple of ideas:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5755097_secu...ent-theft.html

Mike

If at first you don't succeed, lose your temper and smash it to pieces.
Mike-DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of August 2010 (Thu)   #3
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the info. I spent at least 2 full hours googling and could not find anything. This gives me a start.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of August 2010 (Thu)   #4
PhotosGuy

IMO, make sure that they are insured & let them steal all they want! After all, a "sale" is a sale!

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of August 2010 (Thu)   #5
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
IMO, make sure that they are insured & let them steal all they want! After all, a "sale" is a sale!
LOL! An easy sale, too - (other than the paperwork and time it takes to get a check from the ins. company )

Unfortunately, that "easy sale option" is not available. They're hanging in a commercial environment and the customer wants to be sure that their customers don't (a) walk out with one, and (b) don't get beaned on the head with one.
Old 20th of August 2010 (Fri)   #6
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Simple...as shown in the photo.

The brown block is afixed to the wall with nail or screws, the black metal or plastic L bracket is afixed to the brown block. The blue metal or plastic L bracket is afixed to the canvas frame. You merely hook the L brackets over each other to provide secure attachment which 'locks' the canvas on the wall.
Old 20th of August 2010 (Fri)   #7
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Thanks, Wilt. I appreciate that.

It actually looks like a good system for the home. Very simple and easy to hang.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would work in a commercial environment.

The smallest problem is that somebody may bump the piece from the bottom upward which would bring it up and over that hook.

But the largest problem is there is no theft-deterrent. It's hard to comprehend, but even in a busy waiting room/area full of people, there are scuzzbags who will lift a piece of artwork off a wall and calmly walk out the door with it.
Old 20th of August 2010 (Fri)   #8
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedHeat View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think it would work in a commercial environment.

The smallest problem is that somebody may bump the piece from the bottom upward which would bring it up and over that hook.

But the largest problem is there is no theft-deterrent. It's hard to comprehend, but even in a busy waiting room/area full of people, there are scuzzbags who will lift a piece of artwork off a wall and calmly walk out the door with it.
Short of glueing it to the wall, or screwing it on with an odd head (Torx is one example) to prevent opportunistic theft, I don't think you're going to find something. I missed your OP comment about theft, and I did not expect an issue with people bumping into the piece.
Old 21st of August 2010 (Sat)   #9
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

I just came up with the thought that the idea in my prior drawing will work to foil thieves simply by addition of two screws immediately above the canvas frame which serve to prevent the canvas from being lifted up and released from the opposing L brackets. Yes if they had a screwdriver, they could remove the screws, but one could simply drive the square socket heads used for securing deck planking to make it somewhat more difficult (to have the right driver type and size on hand) especially if they are above the eye level of the typical person and therefore not immediately visible.
Old 21st of August 2010 (Sat)   #10
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
Short of glueing it to the wall, or screwing it on with an odd head (Torx is one example) to prevent opportunistic theft, I don't think you're going to find something. I missed your OP comment about theft, and I did not expect an issue with people bumping into the piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
I just came up with the thought that the idea in my prior drawing will work to foil thieves simply by addition of two screws immediately above the canvas frame which serve to prevent the canvas from being lifted up and released from the opposing L brackets. Yes if they had a screwdriver, they could remove the screws, but one could simply drive the square socket heads used for securing deck planking to make it somewhat more difficult (to have the right driver type and size on hand) especially if they are above the eye level of the typical person and therefore not immediately visible.
Interesting. You've got a good brain. Must be an engineer.

Since the OP, I've found some commercially available locking systems, but you've generated some ideas I think may be better.

I've modified things a little.

Using the "S" bracket eliminates the need to mount a block to the wall and a bracket to the block. The "S" bracket is affixed to the wall with a screw (red) and anchor if needed. A little easier.

For security, the "L" and "S" brackets have opposing holes. After hanging your frame, rotate the bottom out, squeeze your hands up and under and run a piece of wire/cable (gray) thru the holes and then secure with some sort of crimping tool. The advantage here is the security is hidden. The thief sees no security, tries to lift the frame, is stopped by the wire which makes a noise, the on-site security guard beans him, drags him to the curb and the problem is dispensed with.

Jokes aside, there's one other advantage of your brackets I like: leveling. No hooks or hangers or hanging picture wires. You mount with two "S" brackets - one on either side of the frame. You put up a "S" bracket, grab your level, put up a second one, and everything is level. Easy and quick.

Appreciate your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canvasmount.jpg (30.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 21st of August 2010 (Sat)   #11
Heath
Goldmember

I would add a block at the bottom on the inside that would secure the canvas wrap. This way the photo could not be bumped off the top hangers.

I believe it will be very difficult to get the wires attached as you have shown on the top.

Using the lower block, you could either screw in from the bottom of the frame up into the block to secure the piece, or you could put a block on top as someone else already mentioned.

Edit: If you never need to be able to remove the canvas wraps from the walls, I have an idea for that. Basically a z clip configuration that snaps together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canvasmount.jpg (20.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Heath : 21st of August 2010 (Sat) at 22:08.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote