Thread started 18 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 08:32   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
Joined Apr 2006
8,423 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

In commercial environments, matted/framed prints are hung with a secure locking mount system to prevent theft and also keep the piece from falling off the wall and hitting somebody.

I need a way to securely hang (unframed) gallery wraps on a wall. I've googled it to death and have found nothing. If you know of a method, I would appreciate the help.

Post #1, Aug 18, 2010 08:32:59

---------------
Fine Art Photographyexternal link | Painted Photosexternal link | Websiteexternal link | Blogexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Pinterestexternal link
---------------

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Mike-DT6
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,917 posts
The Jurassic Coast, Dorset, England.
[MORE/SHARE]

This might provide a couple of ideas:

http://www.ehow.com ...s-wall-prevent-theft.htmlexternal link

Mike

Post #2, Aug 18, 2010 09:22:05

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
Joined Apr 2006
8,423 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the info. I spent at least 2 full hours googling and could not find anything. This gives me a start.

Post #3, Aug 19, 2010 07:30:20 as a reply to Mike-DT6's post 22 hours earlier.

---------------
Fine Art Photographyexternal link | Painted Photosexternal link | Websiteexternal link | Blogexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Pinterestexternal link
---------------

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,094 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

IMO, make sure that they are insured & let them steal all they want! After all, a "sale" is a sale! :D

Post #4, Aug 19, 2010 08:25:51

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
Joined Apr 2006
8,423 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

PhotosGuy wrote in post #10749538external link
IMO, make sure that they are insured & let them steal all they want! After all, a "sale" is a sale! :D

LOL! An easy sale, too - (other than the paperwork and time it takes to get a check from the ins. company ;) )

Unfortunately, that "easy sale option" is not available. They're hanging in a commercial environment and the customer wants to be sure that their customers don't (a) walk out with one, and (b) don't get beaned on the head with one. :)

Post #5, Aug 19, 2010 11:06:49

---------------
---------------

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,436 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Simple...as shown in the photo.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Canvashanging.jpg

The brown block is afixed to the wall with nail or screws, the black metal or plastic L bracket is afixed to the brown block. The blue metal or plastic L bracket is afixed to the canvas frame. You merely hook the L brackets over each other to provide secure attachment which 'locks' the canvas on the wall.

Post #6, Aug 20, 2010 12:54:36

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
Joined Apr 2006
8,423 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks, Wilt. I appreciate that.

It actually looks like a good system for the home. Very simple and easy to hang.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would work in a commercial environment.

The smallest problem is that somebody may bump the piece from the bottom upward which would bring it up and over that hook.

But the largest problem is there is no theft-deterrent. It's hard to comprehend, but even in a busy waiting room/area full of people, there are scuzzbags who will lift a piece of artwork off a wall and calmly walk out the door with it.

Post #7, Aug 20, 2010 22:43:21 as a reply to Wilt's post 9 hours earlier.

---------------
---------------

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,436 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

CannedHeat wrote in post #10759997external link
Unfortunately, I don't think it would work in a commercial environment.

The smallest problem is that somebody may bump the piece from the bottom upward which would bring it up and over that hook.

But the largest problem is there is no theft-deterrent. It's hard to comprehend, but even in a busy waiting room/area full of people, there are scuzzbags who will lift a piece of artwork off a wall and calmly walk out the door with it.

Short of glueing it to the wall, or screwing it on with an odd head (Torx is one example) to prevent opportunistic theft, I don't think you're going to find something. I missed your OP comment about theft, and I did not expect an issue with people bumping into the piece.

Post #8, Aug 20, 2010 23:54:22

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Wilt
Joined Aug 2005
33,436 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I just came up with the thought that the idea in my prior drawing will work to foil thieves simply by addition of two screws immediately above the canvas frame which serve to prevent the canvas from being lifted up and released from the opposing L brackets. Yes if they had a screwdriver, they could remove the screws, but one could simply drive the square socket heads used for securing deck planking to make it somewhat more difficult (to have the right driver type and size on hand) especially if they are above the eye level of the typical person and therefore not immediately visible.

Post #9, Aug 21, 2010 00:16:21

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
Joined Apr 2006
8,423 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #10760307external link
Short of glueing it to the wall, or screwing it on with an odd head (Torx is one example) to prevent opportunistic theft, I don't think you're going to find something. I missed your OP comment about theft, and I did not expect an issue with people bumping into the piece.

Wilt wrote in post #10760387external link
I just came up with the thought that the idea in my prior drawing will work to foil thieves simply by addition of two screws immediately above the canvas frame which serve to prevent the canvas from being lifted up and released from the opposing L brackets. Yes if they had a screwdriver, they could remove the screws, but one could simply drive the square socket heads used for securing deck planking to make it somewhat more difficult (to have the right driver type and size on hand) especially if they are above the eye level of the typical person and therefore not immediately visible.

Interesting. You've got a good brain. Must be an engineer. ;)

Since the OP, I've found some commercially available locking systems, but you've generated some ideas I think may be better.

I've modified things a little.

Using the "S" bracket eliminates the need to mount a block to the wall and a bracket to the block. The "S" bracket is affixed to the wall with a screw (red) and anchor if needed. A little easier.

For security, the "L" and "S" brackets have opposing holes. After hanging your frame, rotate the bottom out, squeeze your hands up and under and run a piece of wire/cable (gray) thru the holes and then secure with some sort of crimping tool. The advantage here is the security is hidden. The thief sees no security, tries to lift the frame, is stopped by the wire which makes a noise, the on-site security guard beans him, drags him to the curb and the problem is dispensed with. ;)

Jokes aside, there's one other advantage of your brackets I like: leveling. No hooks or hangers or hanging picture wires. You mount with two "S" brackets - one on either side of the frame. You put up a "S" bracket, grab your level, put up a second one, and everything is level. Easy and quick.

Appreciate your help.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #10, Aug 21, 2010 21:28:45

---------------
---------------

Heath
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
2,332 posts
NYC, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I would add a block at the bottom on the inside that would secure the canvas wrap. This way the photo could not be bumped off the top hangers.

I believe it will be very difficult to get the wires attached as you have shown on the top.

Using the lower block, you could either screw in from the bottom of the frame up into the block to secure the piece, or you could put a block on top as someone else already mentioned.

Edit: If you never need to be able to remove the canvas wraps from the walls, I have an idea for that. Basically a z clip configuration that snaps together.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #11, Aug 21, 2010 22:04:40

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blogexternal link-Twitterexternal link-Zenfolioexternal link-500pxexternal link-Pinterestexternal link-Gear List

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,032 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I securely hang a gallery wrap?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES