Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 24 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 100-400IS vs. Sigma 50-500OS, thoughts?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 24, 2010 22:46 |  #1

I'm curious what the general consensus is on the 100-400IS vs. 50-500OS? (I know the Bigma is nearly 1.5 lbs heavier.)

Focusing speed, accuracy? Obviously there would be more "compromises" in terms of distortion from a 10x zoomer vs. a 4x of the Canon. I'm looking to get to pick up either one and my immediate goals is for shooting air shows mated with my 7D.

Here's what I've found using the 55-250 this past weekend. I like the 50mm end. When I'm on the tarmac, and as the WWII birds rolled down and me being less than 50' from the wing tip, the 50mm allowed me to capture the entire plane. Granted this was at a small local airport and most bigger air shows, I'm sure the audience is not allowed to come that close.

I can always use more reach. I obviously found the 250mm end lacking, else I wouldn't be looking for a new lens. Granted the 400 > 250. But the 500 > 400.

So, owners of the Bigma 50-500 OS, any thoughts would be much appreciated. And/or users of both, please chime in and let me know why you chose one over another?

Thanks in advance.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,885 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Aug 24, 2010 23:00 |  #2

Lightrules has a pretty nice writeup here: http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/bigmapumpexternal link

Being a 100-400 owner, myself, I'd have to chime in that it's easily my favorite lens. I've used it frequently and I love the results I can get out of it. Color/sharpness are terrific and the AF is plenty fast enough for airshows/BIF.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 24, 2010 23:13 |  #3

Thanks for your input, Eric. After looking through Lightrules review, I guess I'm curious whether Sigma improved the 50-500 OS optically when compared to the old Bigma 50-500. That's where I'm kind of held up as well, in that I kinda know what I would be expecting from the pump. But the 50-500 OS sounds so tempting on paper.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

MrLA
727 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Aug 24, 2010 23:14 |  #4

the OP asks about sigma OS version so the above comparison is not very telling since it is not an OS version.

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).
Other Favorite Camera:
Flash: YN560
Lenses: change all the time!

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,885 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Aug 24, 2010 23:28 as a reply to MrLA's post |  #5

The tests were done with IS off, using a tripod.

"*The primary and obvious perk of the L is its image stabilization. All my tests were done on a tripod using a wired shutter (and often MLU). So the L's image stabilization was disengaged the entire time. But take away the tripod and the L's image stabilization really comes into play. The L's main perk over the EX is, obviously, image stabilization (and the EX's main perk over the L is price and having 50-100mm/400-500mm). I personally am a very big fan of image stabilization, so the L remains in my bag."

It may not be the exact same lens, but it's still a decent writeup, and some additional reading on the site will find the OS version reviewed: http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/bigmosexternal link

Main quote:
"Imaging Quality: The image quality of the new Bigmos is "GOOD". Center sharpness, even from wide open apertures, is GOOD across the focal length coverage (e.g., 150mm - 300mm - 500mm). Border performance, however, like the original Bigma, DROPS OFF and trails the center by about 1.5 - 2.0 stops before catching up. The Canon 100-400 IS performs slightly better at the borders, at least wide open. But again overall sharpness is GOOD and certainly being "only" a 3.3x zoom lens helps in its strong performance across the focal range. Contrast reproduction is VERY GOOD; greens are especially nice and pleasing. The lens does exhibit a slight warm or yellow color cast, but nothing too drastic. Light falloff is SLIGHTLY EVIDENT at wide open apertures, but quickly dissipates even one stop down. Distortions are WELL-CONTROLLED; nothing flagrant at all. Its flare performance is EXCEPTIONAL; I noticed hardly any hot spots or veil-flaring of any kind. And I never even mounted the hood! Lateral (or transverse) chromatic abberations are present wide open but again, it is not flagrant or obvious. Overall the new Bigmos is a GOOD OPTICAL PERFORMER and only slightly inferior to the 100-400 IS. **SCORE 8.5/10**"

Budget and ultimate usage would dictate which lens to go with, really. Personally, I'd prefer to get sharp shots with the "pump" and crop; but I've seen one or two folks on here that post up fantastic shots using the Bigmos.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

blrbnsn
42 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Dallas, TX
Aug 24, 2010 23:55 as a reply to Snydremark's post |  #6

I was faced with the same decision recently -- for a 3-week rental -- prior to going on a safari in South Africa. I was leaning towards the Bigma (to go with my 7D), but then found out about an issue with the auto-focus. I don't know if it has been resolved yet or not. Here is what lensrentals.com had to say:

"Sigma has released a service notice for this lens warning customers of a ‘potential autofocus defect’. Lenses work perfectly well, until they stop autofocusing and usually start sending an error message. To date we’ve had this occur on 2 of our 17 Nikon mount copies, and one of the Canon mount copies. This would be bad, but Sigma’s handling of the situation makes it extremely difficult:

1) A lens can’t be sent in for repair until it has failed. So Lensrentals, unfortunately, can’t be proactive.
2) We considered attempting to replace all of our stock, but the new copies currently being sold are still in the ‘at risk’ serial numbers, so there’s no benefit to buying more copies."

Also, I read in a couple of reviews that the upper end is really more like 465mm.

In any case, I went with the Canon 100-400L, and I could not have been happier.

Bennett

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006
Okie
Aug 25, 2010 00:19 |  #7

I don't think Lightrules did a review on the NEW 50-500mm OS, " The Bigma II " . The links above are for the old "Bigma" 50-500mm and the "Bigmos" , the Sigma 150-500. Neither are what the OP ask about.

I don't know why they come up with these stupid nicknames !

Hi

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 25, 2010 00:35 |  #8

Snydremark wrote in post #10782941external link
It may not be the exact same lens, but it's still a decent writeup, and some additional reading on the site will find the OS version reviewed: http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/bigmosexternal link

that's an entirely different lens also...it's nearly half the cost of the other two...and the other lightrules test was against the non OS bigma...

as far as which is better...i don't know...there are a few folks on here that have experience with both lenses...so i'm sure they'll chime in

i do know if you're on a budget the 150-500mm is a good bet :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Afield
146 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Aug 25, 2010 00:42 |  #9

blrbnsn wrote in post #10783088external link
I was faced with the same decision recently -- for a 3-week rental -- prior to going on a safari in South Africa. I was leaning towards the Bigma (to go with my 7D), but then found out about an issue with the auto-focus. I don't know if it has been resolved yet or not. Here is what lensrentals.com had to say:

"Sigma has released a service notice for this lens warning customers of a ‘potential autofocus defect’. Lenses work perfectly well, until they stop autofocusing and usually start sending an error message. To date we’ve had this occur on 2 of our 17 Nikon mount copies, and one of the Canon mount copies. This would be bad, but Sigma’s handling of the situation makes it extremely difficult:

1) A lens can’t be sent in for repair until it has failed. So Lensrentals, unfortunately, can’t be proactive.
2) We considered attempting to replace all of our stock, but the new copies currently being sold are still in the ‘at risk’ serial numbers, so there’s no benefit to buying more copies."

Also, I read in a couple of reviews that the upper end is really more like 465mm.

In any case, I went with the Canon 100-400L, and I could not have been happier.

Sadly, this AF issue affects the other new Sigma zoom telephotos as well (the 150-500 and the 120-400). They really screwed up.

EOS 7D, 300 mm f/4L IS, 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006
Okie
Aug 25, 2010 00:45 |  #10

Afield wrote in post #10783312external link
Sadly, this AF issue affects the other new Sigma zoom telephotos as well (the 150-500 and the 120-400). They really screwed up.

Not really a big thing . They caught the problem and have done something about it .

Hi

Riverlander
686 posts
Joined May 2007
Riverland, South Australia
Aug 25, 2010 00:48 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #11

I have had the new Sigma 50-500 OS for a few days and the weather here has not been kind to photographers. The small amount of use I have had shows it to be a very good lens.
The focus was spot on straight out of the box (no microadjustment needed at all). Focus is fast and amazingly the OS system is silent - yes! it is silent! (you can hear my mate's 150-500 from a few metres away!)
Image quality is great, but then it is a full frame lens and I am using it on a Canon 7D.
At this stage I am very pleased with it, more so than I was with the original 50-500 or the Canon 100-400 both of which I owned until about 2 years ago. In between I have been using Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 with teleconverters -- but no OS.
I think this new lens will be very popular in time.

Canon; 7D with grip, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, 580EX II flash, 550EX flash, 430EX flash, Sigma; 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 Macro; Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x converters, Benro M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead. Wimberley Sidekick. Lots of other stuff.http://riverlander.smu​gmug.com/external link

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Northern California
Aug 25, 2010 01:23 |  #12

I remember someone had both and wrote a review... let me see if I can find it

EDIT: Here http://photography-on-the.net ...rch.php?searchid=20​188204

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 25, 2010 01:39 |  #13

Riverlander wrote in post #10783340external link
I have had the new Sigma 50-500 OS for a few days and the weather here has not been kind to photographers. The small amount of use I have had shows it to be a very good lens.
The focus was spot on straight out of the box (no microadjustment needed at all). Focus is fast and amazingly the OS system is silent - yes! it is silent! (you can hear my mate's 150-500 from a few metres away!)
Image quality is great, but then it is a full frame lens and I am using it on a Canon 7D.
At this stage I am very pleased with it, more so than I was with the original 50-500 or the Canon 100-400 both of which I owned until about 2 years ago. In between I have been using Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 with teleconverters -- but no OS.
I think this new lens will be very popular in time.

This is encouraging to hear! Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to hearing more from you experience.

themadman wrote in post #10783435external link

Thanks for looking it up, Will. But unfortunately, when I clicked on the link, it didn't lead me to where I think you want me to go. :(

Julian

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Bay Area
Aug 25, 2010 01:43 |  #14

themadman wrote in post #10783435external link

The link doesn't work

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 25, 2010 02:21 |  #15

maybe he meant this one?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=535008

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links

4,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 100-400IS vs. Sigma 50-500OS, thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.