Which settings for sharpening in LR?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 25 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 23:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Els
Joined Sep 2006
246 posts
Victoria, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Which settings do you use under Amount, Radius and Detail in the sharpening tool in LR?

1) for print

2) for web/slideshows

Thanks in advance!

Post #1, Aug 25, 2010 23:43:07

Els
5DII | 135L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

You might want to read this article carefully. It was written for Lightroom 1.1 but the principles are still the same: http://lightroom-news.com ...oom-11-update/sharpening/external link

Post #2, Aug 26, 2010 00:06:32

Gear List

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Amount differs with subject, ISO/noise level and personal taste. For low ISO shots that are landscape/scenic/high detail shots I'm fairly generous with my amount, say at 90-100.

Radius I honestly never mess with, never delved into it.

Detail is pretty dramatic with LR3 -- use with care, but it could make certain things really "pop" (or it can make an image look like trash if you overdo it).

I use Masking a fair amount with high ISO images with a lot of noise, to smooth out noise/lower sharpening in areas of smooth tones and colors like a blue sky or whatnot.

Post #3, Aug 26, 2010 00:21:09

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I would also carefully read the LR3 Help for the Details panel, and also check out the brush adjustment for sharpening/smoothing.

Post #4, Aug 26, 2010 00:22:14

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Els
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2006
246 posts
Victoria, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks to both of you! I will do more reading in the help info in LR (I already am reading, but not up to the sharpening section yet). You are right that it varies depending on the type of image, and I definitely want to learn how to apply the masking and adjustment brush for sharpening certain parts of an image.

And thank you for the article, PixelMagic!

So much to read/learn!

Post #5, Aug 26, 2010 01:04:20 as a reply to tonylong's post 42 minutes earlier.

Els
5DII | 135L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

It also depends on your final output...

You'll usually want to apply slightly more aggressive sharpening to images for print than you will for electronic viewing. This helps offset the tendency of the ink to "spread" on a print.

Post #6, Aug 26, 2010 01:17:23

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Els
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2006
246 posts
Victoria, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10790257external link
It also depends on your final output...

You'll usually want to apply slightly more aggressive sharpening to images for print than you will for electronic viewing. This helps offset the tendency of the ink to "spread" on a print.

Interesting, thank you!

Post #7, Aug 26, 2010 01:43:44

Els
5DII | 135L

LIST NEARBY THREADS
617 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which settings for sharpening in LR?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES