Thread started 26 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 05:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TeleFragger
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok so when i got the camera last week... i was using full auto.. more or less to get used to it.... and the flash would pop up all the time.... so i was in my setting making changes and not sure if that is when the flash stopped working..... now this morning before work I did a full reset as i made other settings that i wasnt sure where to change back.... i had the 9 focus points on the screen all the time.. not sure how i did that..

so a full reset was cool... but the flash still wont pop up.... even in the manual modes.. pressing the flash button doesnt have it pop up... go gonna say flash is stuck... send to canon?????

this is my luck.. i just bought a xbox 360 2 weeks before the e3 conference.... i had a red ringed 360 for 1.5 yrs and refused to buy another.. but the new microsoft connect looked cool... figured might as well.. once i got it... they release the new slim edition with all the bells and wistles....long story short i got the white one switched to the slim.. it lasted 4 days then wouldnt read games.... sent to microsoft to get repaired... now i got it but it sounds LOUD when the game spins.....my luck...

so if it wasnt for bad luck id have none at all....

now not that i use the flash much.... i took pics yesterday when i noticed the flash wasnt coming up... thought there was enough light as the pics came out ok.... but at 5:15am with only the computer monitor on it should have wanted to use flash in auto mode..... but nope....

Post #1, Aug 26, 2010 05:54:39

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouseexternal link****RF-603 Discussion
Canon T2i-Gripped|64GB| YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8 |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
krb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
8,818 posts
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
[MORE/SHARE]

There is a little switch/sensor thing in the hotshoe that prevents the flash from popping up if there is anything installed in the shoe. If there is anything installed in the hotshoe then remove it. If that doesn't work then use a toothpick to press on the switch, maybe it is stuck and just needs to be loosened. It's under one of the metal "wings" of teh hotshoe.

Post #2, Aug 26, 2010 05:58:51

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

kendon
Joined Jul 2010
839 posts
germany
[MORE/SHARE]

sound like a stuck hotshoe contact to me. does the camera even try to open the flash? if you press the button you should hear the release. if you hold the flash down for example, the camera will try three times to open the flash. if it doesn't pop up during these three tries the camera will tell you that it can't open the flash and then will shut down until you turn it off and on again.

Post #3, Aug 26, 2010 07:09:40

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCamexternal link, Galleryexternal link

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
10,247 posts
Philly 'burbs
[MORE/SHARE]

Sounds like the perfect time to pick up a Speedlight!

Post #4, Aug 26, 2010 07:17:52 as a reply to kendon's post 8 minutes earlier.

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

yall are the best.... will try it when i get home... but that is the fix....
being a newbie... and talking to a friend who has a canon 20d... he told me that the external flash sometimes gets caught in his bag.... well i bought this....

http://cgi.ebay.com ...igital_Camera_Acces​soriesexternal link

sooooo that is my problem!!!!! i just have to find that lil switch then... and notch the shoe cap so it doesnt do that then!!!!!

Post #5, Aug 26, 2010 07:31:26

Canon T2i-Gripped|64GB| YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8 |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
4,374 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

If you put that hotshoe cover on, it will depress the micro switch making the camera think that an external flash is attached and the pop up flash will be disabled as long as you have the cover in place.

The micro switch should be on the right side of the hotshoe under the metal leaf spring, it's a tiny white button, if it's pushed in, it maybe jammed.

Post #6, Aug 26, 2010 07:34:51 as a reply to TeleFragger's post 3 minutes earlier.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

lannes wrote in post #10791666external link
If you put that hotshoe cover on, it will depress the micro switch making the camera think that an external flash is attached and the pop up flash will be disabled as long as you have the cover in place.

The micro switch should be on the right side of the hotshoe under the metal leaf spring, it's a tiny white button, if it's pushed in, it maybe jammed.

yup its jammed... the hot shoe cap is still in it as im at work and camera is at home :lol:

i feel soo newbishly dumb now.. HAHAHHA.. nothing new though.... should have thought of that...

Post #7, Aug 26, 2010 07:55:29

tattooDan
Joined Oct 2009
452 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

or try a small brush and clean the flash mount area,it happened on my T1i and that was the problem,dirt or whatever can get in there

"Take a clean DRY toothbrush and clean under the rails of the hot shoe...a particle of dirt is likely the culprit..."

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=849085

Post #8, Aug 26, 2010 09:25:28 as a reply to TeleFragger's post 1 hour earlier.

Avinery
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2010
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a different problem with my T2i. When I try using the pop-up flash (in whatever setting), I get this click-click-click sound, the flash does not pop up and Error 5 message appears. I switch the camera off and on again as instructed - nothing. The camera is 3 months old, I shot hundreds of photos, very few using the flash until the above happend a few days ago out of the blue. Any ideas?

Post #9, Oct 10, 2010 07:36:13

AZDropTop
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2010
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Avinery wrote in post #11067851external link
I have a different problem with my T2i. When I try using the pop-up flash (in whatever setting), I get this click-click-click sound, the flash does not pop up and Error 5 message appears. I switch the camera off and on again as instructed - nothing. The camera is 3 months old, I shot hundreds of photos, very few using the flash until the above happend a few days ago out of the blue. Any ideas?

Same problem I just had. Unfortuneately when I called Technical support they didn't sugguest any of the advice above so I sent the camera in yesterday. :{ I've only had it for 5 weeks....and I'm sure it will not be back by Thanksgiving...

Post #10, Nov 20, 2010 17:02:53

RafaPolit
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
1,668 posts
Quito, Ecuador
[MORE/SHARE]

All this flash related problems have been usually attributed to dirt in some form in places of the flash. Avinery's symptoms also! Try gently blowing the borders of the flash and, after pressing the button, while the clicking is going on, try a little force to pull the flash. When it's open, try cleaning it carefully.

Hope this helps a bit,
Rafa.

Post #11, Nov 20, 2010 17:06:19

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.comexternal link

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
15,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon T2i - Flash not poping up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES