Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #1
TeleFragger
Goldmember

Default Canon T2i - Flash not poping up

Ok so when i got the camera last week... i was using full auto.. more or less to get used to it.... and the flash would pop up all the time.... so i was in my setting making changes and not sure if that is when the flash stopped working..... now this morning before work I did a full reset as i made other settings that i wasnt sure where to change back.... i had the 9 focus points on the screen all the time.. not sure how i did that..

so a full reset was cool... but the flash still wont pop up.... even in the manual modes.. pressing the flash button doesnt have it pop up... go gonna say flash is stuck... send to canon??

this is my luck.. i just bought a xbox 360 2 weeks before the e3 conference.... i had a red ringed 360 for 1.5 yrs and refused to buy another.. but the new microsoft connect looked cool... figured might as well.. once i got it... they release the new slim edition with all the bells and wistles....long story short i got the white one switched to the slim.. it lasted 4 days then wouldnt read games.... sent to microsoft to get repaired... now i got it but it sounds LOUD when the game spins.....my luck...

so if it wasnt for bad luck id have none at all....

now not that i use the flash much.... i took pics yesterday when i noticed the flash wasnt coming up... thought there was enough light as the pics came out ok.... but at 5:15am with only the computer monitor on it should have wanted to use flash in auto mode..... but nope....
TeleFragger is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #2
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Default Re: Canon T2i - Flash not poping up

There is a little switch/sensor thing in the hotshoe that prevents the flash from popping up if there is anything installed in the shoe. If there is anything installed in the hotshoe then remove it. If that doesn't work then use a toothpick to press on the switch, maybe it is stuck and just needs to be loosened. It's under one of the metal "wings" of teh hotshoe.
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #3
kendon

sound like a stuck hotshoe contact to me. does the camera even try to open the flash? if you press the button you should hear the release. if you hold the flash down for example, the camera will try three times to open the flash. if it doesn't pop up during these three tries the camera will tell you that it can't open the flash and then will shut down until you turn it off and on again.
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #4
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

Sounds like the perfect time to pick up a Speedlight!
egordon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #5
TeleFragger
Goldmember

yall are the best.... will try it when i get home... but that is the fix....
being a newbie... and talking to a friend who has a canon 20d... he told me that the external flash sometimes gets caught in his bag.... well i bought this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/4X-Hot-Shoe-cap-...ra_Accessories

sooooo that is my problem!!!!! i just have to find that lil switch then... and notch the shoe cap so it doesnt do that then!!!!!
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #6
lannes
Goldmember

If you put that hotshoe cover on, it will depress the micro switch making the camera think that an external flash is attached and the pop up flash will be disabled as long as you have the cover in place.

The micro switch should be on the right side of the hotshoe under the metal leaf spring, it's a tiny white button, if it's pushed in, it maybe jammed.

Last edited by lannes : 26th of August 2010 (Thu) at 07:50.
lannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #7
TeleFragger
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannes View Post
If you put that hotshoe cover on, it will depress the micro switch making the camera think that an external flash is attached and the pop up flash will be disabled as long as you have the cover in place.

The micro switch should be on the right side of the hotshoe under the metal leaf spring, it's a tiny white button, if it's pushed in, it maybe jammed.
yup its jammed... the hot shoe cap is still in it as im at work and camera is at home

i feel soo newbishly dumb now.. HAHAHHA.. nothing new though.... should have thought of that...
Old 26th of August 2010 (Thu)   #8
tattooDan
User is banned from forums

or try a small brush and clean the flash mount area,it happened on my T1i and that was the problem,dirt or whatever can get in there

"Take a clean DRY toothbrush and clean under the rails of the hot shoe...a particle of dirt is likely the culprit..."

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=849085
tattooDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of October 2010 (Sun)   #9
Avinery

I have a different problem with my T2i. When I try using the pop-up flash (in whatever setting), I get this click-click-click sound, the flash does not pop up and Error 5 message appears. I switch the camera off and on again as instructed - nothing. The camera is 3 months old, I shot hundreds of photos, very few using the flash until the above happend a few days ago out of the blue. Any ideas?
Avinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #10
AZDropTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinery View Post
I have a different problem with my T2i. When I try using the pop-up flash (in whatever setting), I get this click-click-click sound, the flash does not pop up and Error 5 message appears. I switch the camera off and on again as instructed - nothing. The camera is 3 months old, I shot hundreds of photos, very few using the flash until the above happend a few days ago out of the blue. Any ideas?
Same problem I just had. Unfortuneately when I called Technical support they didn't sugguest any of the advice above so I sent the camera in yesterday. :{ I've only had it for 5 weeks....and I'm sure it will not be back by Thanksgiving...
AZDropTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #11
RafaPolit

All this flash related problems have been usually attributed to dirt in some form in places of the flash. Avinery's symptoms also! Try gently blowing the borders of the flash and, after pressing the button, while the clicking is going on, try a little force to pull the flash. When it's open, try cleaning it carefully.

Hope this helps a bit,
Rafa.
RafaPolit is offline   Reply With Quote