FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 30 Aug 2010 (Monday) 11:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

elipkin
Joined Sep 2005
369 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

There is a local model who is interested in shooting with me (and the interest is mutual) but she, I think, is not even 17. I am not planing anything risky at all. At most swimsuit is we shoot outside, probably not even. Most likely beauty type shots.
I am still worried and also when I asked who signs her model releases, she said that she did 4 shoots and never had to sign one. I am a bit worried to shoot an underaged person without a model release. Do I also want to get someone else to be present during the shoot?
Opinions?

Post #1, Aug 30, 2010 11:20:17

Eugene
Galleryexternal link
Model Mayhemexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TrueBlueLS
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2008
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Tell her to come back when she is 18. Even if she does have an adult come with her and sign a model release, you don't know who their legal guardian really is.

Post #2, Aug 30, 2010 13:04:57

Canon 350D | Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 | Canon 50mm f/1.8

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

well, even minor children start some where. I'm not sure how you go about proving guardianship but most certainly have a model release that deals specifically with a minor. The other photogs that didn't make her sign one are just stupid.

Post #3, Aug 30, 2010 13:29:31

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Tyler's ­ Mom
Joined Dec 2009
345 posts
Goldsboro, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

Get a Model Release signed and make sure its just protecting you just incase her " guardian " is a friend otherwise I wouldn't turn the shoot down as long as your covered Legally wise

Post #4, Aug 30, 2010 13:32:17

Canon 50D, Nifty Fifty, 430 EXii
Flickrexternal link

sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

In this day and age, it rarely seems worth it to me to take any sort of professional pictures in a swimsuit of minors. Of course it does happen and it is perfectly legal, but your own post shows you have some concerns and it may generate a negative image for your business. I personally would only photograph model clients under 18 in anything less than casual clothes if they were signed to a reputable talent agency. There is some risk for very little reward.

-Scott

Post #5, Aug 30, 2010 13:36:35

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links
hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

^^^ good advice.

Post #6, Aug 30, 2010 13:39:53

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

elipkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
369 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree. I do not have a business, so I am just doing it for photography's sake, but I do agree with your point. Do not trouble trouble so to say. I am probably going to take some beauty face shots and I do not think I will ever sell them, I just want to stay out of trouble :)

sspellman wrote in post #10817370external link
In this day and age, it rarely seems worth it to me to take any sort of professional pictures in a swimsuit of minors. Of course it does happen and it is perfectly legal, but your own post shows you have some concerns and it may generate a negative image for your business. I personally would only photograph model clients under 18 in anything less than casual clothes if they were signed to a reputable talent agency. There is some risk for very little reward.

-Scott

Post #7, Aug 30, 2010 13:46:39

Eugene
Galleryexternal link

hawkeye60
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
2,079 posts
Mesa, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

The word is risque, not risky. A Fruedian slip perhaps... maybe that's a warning.

Post #8, Aug 30, 2010 13:52:07

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

Dr ­ Lazarus
Joined May 2010
683 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Birth certificate will have the parent's name/s on it if you're worried about someone trying to stand in.

Post #9, Aug 30, 2010 14:09:31

Flickrexternal link

elipkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
369 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

Not FrEUdian slip, just bad spelling :) and English as a second language

hawkeye60 wrote in post #10817482external link
The word is risque, not risky. A Fruedian slip perhaps... maybe that's a warning.

Post #10, Aug 30, 2010 15:20:54

Eugene
Galleryexternal link

TrueBlueLS
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2008
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Dr Lazarus wrote in post #10817617external link
Birth certificate will have the parent's name/s on it if you're worried about someone trying to stand in.

How many people are willing to dig that up to show and prove they are the legal guardian though?

Post #11, Aug 30, 2010 22:40:06

Canon 350D | Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 | Canon 50mm f/1.8

sponsored links
elipkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
369 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

So what happens if I shoot her without a model release. Or what CAN happen? Say, just the face shot and I do not sell it.

Post #12, Aug 31, 2010 07:43:53

Eugene
Galleryexternal link

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

the problem is in what can happen. Shooting a minor without parental permission might render you without the images at all, even if you have no intention of selling them. Local schools have to get signed permission from the parents that the kids might be photographed, video'd while at school. Notice how news reports always show kids feet when they do a story that involves minors?

If she's that good that you really want to shoot with her, then you should really get her parents to buy in- i.e. sign the release.

Post #13, Aug 31, 2010 10:32:35

HMetal
Joined Mar 2005
610 posts
Windsor, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

It's probably different since I have a legally registered business but..

I have done portfolio work for and with subjects under 18 for a local fashion designer, the youngest ever having been 14 years old (her father is a local police constable and was present during all photo shoots). From experience I will tell you to ALWAYS get a model release signed no matter how frivolous or unimportant the shoot is, even if it's just a "test" shoot. Always take a single headshot photo of the model AND the guardian or witness (whoever signs the model release on the minor's behalf) and keep them together with the model release so you have something to refer to if anyone asks you for legal documentation.

This is especially important if you plan to use the photos for anything other than portfolio or editorial use. If there is no model release signed, you own the photos anyways, but you cannot sell or otherwise use the photos for commercial use without a model release.

Hope this helps.

Post #14, Aug 31, 2010 13:23:54

Ray A. Akey

Luminescent Memories Photographyexternal link | Ray's Photo-A-Day 2004-2009external link | My Flickrexternal link | Slices in Time Photoblogexternal link

303villain
Joined Jun 2006
614 posts
New York, Miami, & Denver
[MORE/SHARE]

It's not like there's girls underage in every single fashion magazine printed in the past how many years?

It's fine. Just get a release and have her parents sign it(and probably being present is a good idea) and life will be fine.

Look at Georgia May Jagger. 18 now, but 17 when this campaign was shot. And probably 16 when the first Hudson campaign was shot.

http://www.styleite.co​m ...eorgia-may-jagger-photos/external link

Post #15, Aug 31, 2010 21:49:10

www.danapennington.netexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a 16-17 year old
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES