Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Glamour & Nude Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #1
elipkin

Default Shooting a 16-17 year old

There is a local model who is interested in shooting with me (and the interest is mutual) but she, I think, is not even 17. I am not planing anything risky at all. At most swimsuit is we shoot outside, probably not even. Most likely beauty type shots.
I am still worried and also when I asked who signs her model releases, she said that she did 4 shoots and never had to sign one. I am a bit worried to shoot an underaged person without a model release. Do I also want to get someone else to be present during the shoot?
Opinions?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #2
TrueBlueLS

Default Re: Shooting a 16-17 year old

Tell her to come back when she is 18. Even if she does have an adult come with her and sign a model release, you don't know who their legal guardian really is.
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #3
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

well, even minor children start some where. I'm not sure how you go about proving guardianship but most certainly have a model release that deals specifically with a minor. The other photogs that didn't make her sign one are just stupid.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #4
Tyler's Mom

Get a Model Release signed and make sure its just protecting you just incase her " guardian " is a friend otherwise I wouldn't turn the shoot down as long as your covered Legally wise
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #5
sspellman

In this day and age, it rarely seems worth it to me to take any sort of professional pictures in a swimsuit of minors. Of course it does happen and it is perfectly legal, but your own post shows you have some concerns and it may generate a negative image for your business. I personally would only photograph model clients under 18 in anything less than casual clothes if they were signed to a reputable talent agency. There is some risk for very little reward.

-Scott
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #6
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

^^^ good advice.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #7
elipkin

I agree. I do not have a business, so I am just doing it for photography's sake, but I do agree with your point. Do not trouble trouble so to say. I am probably going to take some beauty face shots and I do not think I will ever sell them, I just want to stay out of trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspellman View Post
In this day and age, it rarely seems worth it to me to take any sort of professional pictures in a swimsuit of minors. Of course it does happen and it is perfectly legal, but your own post shows you have some concerns and it may generate a negative image for your business. I personally would only photograph model clients under 18 in anything less than casual clothes if they were signed to a reputable talent agency. There is some risk for very little reward.

-Scott
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #8
hawkeye60
Goldmember

The word is risque, not risky. A Fruedian slip perhaps... maybe that's a warning.
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #9
Dr Lazarus

Birth certificate will have the parent's name/s on it if you're worried about someone trying to stand in.
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #10
elipkin

Not FrEUdian slip, just bad spelling and English as a second language
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye60 View Post
The word is risque, not risky. A Fruedian slip perhaps... maybe that's a warning.
Old 30th of August 2010 (Mon)   #11
TrueBlueLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lazarus View Post
Birth certificate will have the parent's name/s on it if you're worried about someone trying to stand in.
How many people are willing to dig that up to show and prove they are the legal guardian though?
Old 31st of August 2010 (Tue)   #12
elipkin

So what happens if I shoot her without a model release. Or what CAN happen? Say, just the face shot and I do not sell it.
Old 31st of August 2010 (Tue)   #13
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

the problem is in what can happen. Shooting a minor without parental permission might render you without the images at all, even if you have no intention of selling them. Local schools have to get signed permission from the parents that the kids might be photographed, video'd while at school. Notice how news reports always show kids feet when they do a story that involves minors?

If she's that good that you really want to shoot with her, then you should really get her parents to buy in- i.e. sign the release.
Old 31st of August 2010 (Tue)   #14
HMetal

It's probably different since I have a legally registered business but..

I have done portfolio work for and with subjects under 18 for a local fashion designer, the youngest ever having been 14 years old (her father is a local police constable and was present during all photo shoots). From experience I will tell you to ALWAYS get a model release signed no matter how frivolous or unimportant the shoot is, even if it's just a "test" shoot. Always take a single headshot photo of the model AND the guardian or witness (whoever signs the model release on the minor's behalf) and keep them together with the model release so you have something to refer to if anyone asks you for legal documentation.

This is especially important if you plan to use the photos for anything other than portfolio or editorial use. If there is no model release signed, you own the photos anyways, but you cannot sell or otherwise use the photos for commercial use without a model release.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st of August 2010 (Tue)   #15
303villain

It's not like there's girls underage in every single fashion magazine printed in the past how many years?

It's fine. Just get a release and have her parents sign it(and probably being present is a good idea) and life will be fine.

Look at Georgia May Jagger. 18 now, but 17 when this campaign was shot. And probably 16 when the first Hudson campaign was shot.

http://www.styleite.com/media/georgi...jagger-photos/