Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Kids & Family
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #1
Stacey8221

Default Tiny newborn session - doll bed prop!

Today I was lucky enough to get more practice on a tiny 4lb newborn! She is already 2 weeks old but she was a good little sleeper and I FINALLY got to try my new doll bed prop which I have been dying to do! I went to their house for the shoot which was SO dark (the windows were all tiny and way up high) that I almost wasn't going to even try but I decided I better give it a shot. I found the brightest spot in the house in their little boy's room and only had a 5'x4' space so I was super bummed I wouldn't be able to set up my wood floor set up so I could do some doll bed shots. BUT while the mother was nursing the baby I decided I HAD to try and crammed in my set up minus the background stands and just used 2 chairs to hang the fabric. SO between the TINY space and no light I was VERY happy to get these next few shots! I realize the background on the bed shots needs a little more work but I am going out of town in the morning and need to get packing so no more editing for tonight I would love some CC as always! I have improved SO much from it in the last few months! (FYI my name on here used to be bobbytannehill in case some of you didn't realize it!)
Thanks for looking!

#1. The front feet of the bed drive me crazy on this one since they aren't straight but I couldn't figure out how to fix it! BUT how cute is that big smile!

Sweet Dreams by StaceyandLauren, on Flickr
#2. Not the best focus...

onbelly by StaceyandLauren, on Flickr
#3.

onsidepurple by StaceyandLauren, on Flickr
#4. Need to work on the edges around the top of the bed...

bedfinal by StaceyandLauren, on Flickr
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #2
cdrumeller

Default Re: Tiny newborn session - doll bed prop!

Great shots! Where did you get the floor and the bed from? And what did you use as a backdrop?

http://simplyblissfulphotography.blogspot.com/
cdrumeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #3
swimchic

Nice work! #2 is just perfect! I bet her family was thrilled with the outcome
I have been in so many little dark houses for sessions, so I know how tough it can be! You did a great job though
swimchic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #4
Stacey8221

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrumeller View Post
Great shots! Where did you get the floor and the bed from? And what did you use as a backdrop?
The floor is actually a roll of paper that I got at Michaels and the backdrop is purple fabric that I got at Joannes and then touched up a little with the clone tool in elements!
The bed is from Ikea
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #5
Stacey8221

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchic View Post
Nice work! #2 is just perfect! I bet her family was thrilled with the outcome
I have been in so many little dark houses for sessions, so I know how tough it can be! You did a great job though
Thank you SO much!! I always secretly wish that you will reply to my posts because I am such a HUGE fan of your work lol! I REALLY appreciate your compliment!!
It was SO tough in their house but I'm so glad I got a couple of good shots! I was DRAINED by the time I loaded my car back up, I need to figure out how to pack lighter!!
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #6
C-Shuler

Wonderful job on these! Guess I'm gonna have to make a trip to Michaels and Ikea. Thanks for sharing
C-Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #7
petedam

Nice set. You shot this with just the available light?

Pete
A couple of bodies, a few lenses, a few lights, and a few modifiers.....Here to learn!
petedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #8
Stacey8221

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Shuler View Post
Wonderful job on these! Guess I'm gonna have to make a trip to Michaels and Ikea. Thanks for sharing
lol thats what I did when I heard about these things! Went straight to Michaels I don't have an Ikea by me but luckily when I did the twin shoot in Phoenix last week they had one there! I was so excited! Thank you!
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #9
Stacey8221

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedam View Post
Nice set. You shot this with just the available light?
THank you!
I had my 430EX with lightsphere on and used it for about half the shots. I usually turn my exposure up quite a bit in PP though. I'm not quite sure which shots are with flash and which are without?? I know that it was on for the bed shots!

Last edited by Stacey8221 : 4th of September 2010 (Sat) at 10:41.
Stacey8221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #10
Stacey8221

I really wish I would've thought to take a pull back picture, the space was SO cramped and dark. I feel so much more confident about finding decent light in other ppl's homes now, I really didn't think these would turn out!
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #11
petedam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey8221 View Post
I had my 430EX with lightsphere on and used it for about half the shots. I usually turn my exposure up quite a bit in PP though. I'm not quite sure which shots are with flash and which are without?? I know that it was on for the bed shots!
You used your 50?

Pete
A couple of bodies, a few lenses, a few lights, and a few modifiers.....Here to learn!
petedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #12
Stacey8221

I used my 50D, my 24-70 2.8 set on 2.8 I believe, ISO 400 and shutter was 1/80th which I am just realizing now and that must be why they are not crystal clear. and my flash I am still learning how to shoot on manual so a lot of times I mess up!
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #13
delmama

absolutely beautiful photos. Where in Ikea did you get that bed, I have been trying to find one and never saw it in Ikea! I was just there yesterday will have to go back to check it out. And I have called my local Michaels and they don't know anything about rolls of paper...which section would I find it under?
Thanks so much!

Facebook

Newborn and Child photographer.
Hand knitted props for photographers.
delmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #14
delmama

I have to ask, what do you guys do if you show up at a house and it is extremely dark all through out? do you bring umbrellas, softboxes and flashes? I used to do sessions in my house, with great natural light but now I am doing more sessions in my clients homes...it can be a challenge.

Facebook

Newborn and Child photographer.
Hand knitted props for photographers.
delmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2010 (Sat)   #15
Stacey8221

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmama View Post
absolutely beautiful photos. Where in Ikea did you get that bed, I have been trying to find one and never saw it in Ikea! I was just there yesterday will have to go back to check it out. And I have called my local Michaels and they don't know anything about rolls of paper...which section would I find it under?
Thanks so much!
Thank you! I got the bed in the kids toy section! I called my local Michaels as well and they had no idea what I was talking about with the paper, turns out they DID have it when I went to check myself. It's in the kids craft section and it comes in big tall rolls that are on the shelf upright! I think its meant to be used for teachers bulletin boards!