Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 04 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 01:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

MIll Ave

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Sep 04, 2010 01:40 |  #1

A group of us got together this evening to photograph anyone who would let us... on Mill Ave in Tempe AZ... we had a blast.

The idea behind the shoot was this video...

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com ...o-street-portraiture.html (external link)

Something I had wanted to try for a long time now.

We setup a piece of white seamless.... asked people if they would come over for a couple of shots.

It was a great exercise for us all... how to bring people in for one... then capture a decent shot in 30-45 sec and then move on. Most people we asked were kind enough to pose.

We had a blast to say the least. Some people were nervous and needed coaching... others just flat out went crazy in front of the camera.

A fun night out.... round up some friends and go do something like this if you haven't... it's a blast... and it really helps you communicate with complete strangers.

FUN!
Hatch

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4956390228_4beb75a0cc_o.jpg

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
yendikeno
Joined Feb 2005
Southern California
Sep 04, 2010 01:44 |  #2

Really cool idea, and some very nice portraits. Well done!

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Sep 04, 2010 01:46 |  #3

yendikeno wrote in post #10847837external link
Really cool idea, and some very nice portraits. Well done!

Many thanks... we had a lot of fun.

Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

Grimlock
Goldmember
2,912 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Southern California Origin: Cybertron
Sep 04, 2010 03:34 |  #4

Hatch, these are all awesome shots.

This idea has been burning a hole in my head ever since I saw that video a while back. (I assume it's the same video... link isn't working for me) This is right up my alley.

I'm glad you had such a huge success with it.

Now for Q&A:
Would you mind sharing your setup? What lens/lighting did you use? What time of day did you shoot these? Were you armed with release forms? Did anyone ask to have the photos emailed to them?

- Jerry | Zenfolioexternal link

| 5DMarkII | 15FE | 35L | 85L |

IVOlution
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010
bArcelona, sPain
Sep 04, 2010 04:32 |  #5

Great stuff...cool concept and well executed.
cheers

my.comexternal link - my Flickexternal linkr - my FB
---------------

Show me what you do at night! --- Got water? post here!

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,270 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Astana, Kazakhstan
Sep 04, 2010 09:06 |  #6

i like it very much!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Sep 04, 2010 09:16 |  #7

I think they're amazing.

Yes, the composition and light is excellent, but more than that: You captured (for most of them) a very unique quality. And they are enjoying it. You must have a way with people that works.

I'm not feeling anything with the second pic (the guy with the LUZ tattoo on his hand) or the guy with the Callahan shirt, but the first guy (the African American) looks great. Handsome dude. The two girls together look great, especially the contrast of emotions displayed.

My favorite photos are, in this order: The pretty blonde with the big smile, the black gentleman, and the lady with the cigarette and drink.

Do this again. I'd call it a big success.

Thank you. bw!

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Sep 04, 2010 09:16 |  #8

awesome shots, looks like great studio shots. Lighting?

Peter
Facebookexternal link
behind the scenesexternal link
500pxexternal link

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Sep 04, 2010 11:06 |  #9

Grimlock wrote in post #10848050external link
Hatch, these are all awesome shots.

This idea has been burning a hole in my head ever since I saw that video a while back. (I assume it's the same video... link isn't working for me) This is right up my alley.

I'm glad you had such a huge success with it.

Now for Q&A:
Would you mind sharing your setup? What lens/lighting did you use? What time of day did you shoot these? Were you armed with release forms? Did anyone ask to have the photos emailed to them?

Many thanks!

We placed a piece of white seamless on a brick wall outside one of the local bars. I went in and asked if it was cool with the folks running the place... they didn't mind.

Lighting... the majority of the shots were natural light with a reflector at times but mainly just nothing else. Once things started to get dark... I brought along the Ranger and we did some strobe stuff.

We shot @ 4-dark...

We had a table setup so they could give us an email.... once the group has the images up on Flickr... we have a little group there... I'll send out an email letting the folks know where to download the images. We had a model release attached to the sign in sheet.

Lens... shot with the 135L and mainly the Sigma 50mm F/1.4...love them both!

IVOlution wrote in post #10848126external link
Great stuff...cool concept and well executed.
cheers

Thanks.. not my orginal idea... just loved the video and wanted to do something like this with the group.

roman_t wrote in post #10848778external link
i like it very much!

Thank you.

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10848809external link
I think they're amazing.

Yes, the composition and light is excellent, but more than that: You captured (for most of them) a very unique quality. And they are enjoying it. You must have a way with people that works.

I'm not feeling anything with the second pic (the guy with the LUZ tattoo on his hand) or the guy with the Callahan shirt, but the first guy (the African American) looks great. Handsome dude. The two girls together look great, especially the contrast of emotions displayed.

My favorite photos are, in this order: The pretty blonde with the big smile, the black gentleman, and the lady with the cigarette and drink.

Do this again. I'd call it a big success.

Many thanks Mike. Some people were able to warm up and connect.... others... really rigid and they were the most fun. It was work to get them to relax to get a shot. I think this is what made the night for some of us... getting people to be comfortable in front of the camera in a super short period of time. We had a few I couldn't get in front of the camera... others... took clothes off...made faces... just had a blast with it. :)

pnmd wrote in post #10848810external link
awesome shots, looks like great studio shots. Lighting?

Natural light for the most part... towards the evening we used the Ranger.

Thanks again all.
Hatch

sponsored links

1,343 views & 0 likes for this thread
MIll Ave
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.