Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: -WARNING- Using Live View Near LASERS!

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
17,132 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jan 18, 2014 15:00 |  #241

pwm2 wrote in post #16615962external link
The information may be conflicting. But the number of youtube videos showing cameras that was working ok and suddenly stopped working ok represents way stronger evidence than people claiming to be professionals and claiming the cameras can't be hurt. Your mileage may vary...

^^^^+1 THIS.

I wouldn't take my digital camera anywhere near a laser. Very good use for a completely mechanical camera loaded with film.

Mark

sponsored links
dynamo15
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2014
Mar 09, 2014 15:50 |  #242

Great info in this thread, thanks for sharing and take care (or have back-ups).

sylent
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2014
Jul 17, 2014 23:05 as a reply to rrblint's post |  #243

Greetings everyone
From what I was taught, the sensors on these great cameras are so sensitive, most of them can detect light diffraction caused by an ant fart 6 inches away ... causing that little artifact we always wonder where it came from.

The sensor alone concentrates any light, creating heat.
Using a fast shutter to photograph a sunset don't give it much time to do heat damage, however in video/live mode, the mirrors are raised giving the sun a straight path to the CMOS the entire time.
You can video once the light is diffracted good by mountains etc, but I wouldn't chance much with DSLR, they just weren't made for video, and what makes them great for video, is also the setback.

A laser of any kind is concentrated light..... that will get concentrated again by the CMOS, and even by the mirrors maybe.
So me personally won't take a chance with any laser, live view or not.

Thats just my two cents, and at today's exchange rate it isn't much, so spend it wisely! :cool:

Great forum BTW, glad I found it!

Tad ­ Atkinson
22 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Rock Hill South Carolina
Jul 22, 2014 14:26 |  #244

This same thing in a purple version happened to my wife's point and shoot I used took to a light show with my daughters. Same pattern, different location, different color.

Tad Atkinson
http://www.palmettopho​to1.comexternal link

fullfram
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Sydney Australia
Aug 01, 2014 21:55 |  #245

Ahh, good to know!

Corporate video & photo at Full Frame Productionsexternal link

Norry ­ Rodgers
Joined Mar 2014
Ireland -> Just over there!
Jan 10, 2015 17:50 |  #246

This might be a tad OT guys n girls, and i know this thread has been a bit inactive for a bit.

But has anyone seen The Australian Pink Floyd band live, and would they have a laser show in use.

My friend got me a ticket and i wanted to take one of my DSLRs, but if they are using lasers and there is a risk that i could damage my sensor then i might just can the idea entirely.

I don't know what would be worse, frying the sensor, or me telling my wife about the camera, considering she bought me them!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Norry
'failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down'
flickrexternal link

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Jan 25, 2015 18:03 |  #247

I wouldnt risk it. It sounds like lasers are heating up the sensor pixels very quickly, causing dead pixels. Appareantly it shorts out a whole row and column somehow. To me it isnt worth it.

Take an SLR loaded with film, or a camera you can get fried

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

stevewf1
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Indianapolis
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by stevewf1. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 21, 2015 03:46 |  #248

OK, I have a question and I do apologize because I'm lazy and haven't read every post on this thread...

I just got a cheap green light laser pointer and my intent is to try and use this at night to light up objects in the distance so I can set focus either in Live View mode or maybe though the viewfinder, on my Canon 7D in order to take time exposures. I only plan to use the laser pointer to set focus so I won't be leaving it on for very long.

Will reflected light from this pointer damage the sensor? I won't be lighting up mirrors, but things like telephone poles, signs and crossing gates. I like to photograph trains.

Thanks

Steve

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
Apr 21, 2015 04:29 |  #249

stevewf1 wrote in post #17525979external link
Will reflected light from this pointer damage the sensor?

That should be fine, after all the reflected light doesn't damage your eyes (as long as you don't shine onto mirror-like surfaces). Just make sure you're not accidentally shining it at another person. And make sure there are no aircraft flying nearby - even if you're not aiming at them they may report you to the authorities.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

stevewf1
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Indianapolis
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by stevewf1.
Jun 05, 2015 06:56 |  #250

hollis_f wrote in post #17526000external link
That should be fine, after all the reflected light doesn't damage your eyes (as long as you don't shine onto mirror-like surfaces). Just make sure you're not accidentally shining it at another person. And make sure there are no aircraft flying nearby - even if you're not aiming at them they may report you to the authorities.

Thanks for the reply. I tried this laser pointer out and it's not very practical. It's only an 1mW laser pointer but wow, it sure sends a beam a long ways. I don't need to light things up very far away to set manual focus, so I'll look for a small LED flashlight instead.

Steve

sponsored links

230,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
-WARNING- Using Live View Near LASERS!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.