Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #1
1move

Default What would you do, 7D, 5DmkII, 5DmkIII?

I currently own a 7D, and am debating the purchase of a 5DmkII. Lately I have been doing quite a few weddings and have gotten more work through recommendations. I usually rent a 5DmkII and it is about time to invest into it, however I still have the option to rent this camera until the 5DmkIII comes out or if it does. The talks about this camera are making me question my purchase of the mkII. But then it could be a few months or a few years?

Would you keep the 7D and buy the 5DmkII, then sell the 7D once the mkIII comes out? Or would you wait longer?

I know that this might be a dumb question to some but, i am on the fence and am not sure what to do. I need some honest opinions. Thanks for your time.
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #2
dervish99

Default Re: What would you do, 7D, 5DmkII, 5DmkIII?

i.m thinking of upgrading from a 20D to the 5d mk2. if the 5d does everything you need then why not buy it, it would work out cheaper than renting it, as there is no timeline on a new FF body.

Also if and when a new body comes out despite it being better it will also be more expensive.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dervish99/
dervish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #3
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
I currently own a 7D, and am debating the purchase of a 5DmkII. Lately I have been doing quite a few weddings and have gotten more work through recommendations. I usually rent a 5DmkII and it is about time to invest into it, however I still have the option to rent this camera until the 5DmkIII comes out or if it does. The talks about this camera are making me question my purchase of the mkII. But then it could be a few months or a few years?

Would you keep the 7D and buy the 5DmkII, then sell the 7D once the mkIII comes out? Or would you wait longer?

I know that this might be a dumb question to some but, i am on the fence and am not sure what to do. I need some honest opinions. Thanks for your time.
Why not a 3rd option - buy the 5D2 and keep the 7D?
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #4
JBF

The Mark III won't be out for over a year and a half so by waiting you miss the opportunity to take great pictures with what you currently have. Don't get caught up with what is coming out. If you have the money go and get the 5D Mark II, it is a wonderful tool for what you are shooting. The 5D series really hold their value. The original 5D still brings over $1,000 and its five years old. I imagine the Mark II will do the same.
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0
JBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #5
ecub

It looks like you only have 1 body and from what I understand, wedding shooters should have 2 bodies. So I would keep the 7D & buy the 5D II. Then hopefully the next year or so when the 5D III comes out, you can weigh out your options whether or not you want to sell the 7D or keep it.

Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro
ecub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #6
1move

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am fairly familiar with the 5DmkII and am very happy with it when I rent it. I guess it is fair to say that I am caught up in the mkIII anticipation but yet again the mkII is an amazing piece of equipment as well. I have 3 more weddings to do this year, and the camera will pay for itself.

I guess I am just stuck on the what if's, and am looking for some advice.
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #7
hpulley
Goldmember

At least a year for the 5D Mark III by most guesses. How much would it cost to rent the 5DII for a year? As much as to buy it I imagine.
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #8
drive_75

The rental of that camera for the next 3 weddings will mount to about 25% of the cost of the 5D2. I would buy it because it's anyone's guess when the 5D3 is going to be release and you will have to rent the 5D2 until then. The cost of renting will be more then the 5D3 when it finally arrive.
drive_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #9
Jahled

Just buy a 5D2, be a lovely combo with your 7D

The 5D3 isn't going to be around for a good while yet

Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet | Gear | Facebook
Jahled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #10
Mark II
Goldmember

Sell both and get a 1 series, maybe?
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #11
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion

Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

I have both the 5DII and the 7D and love them both. They are both great as so many things (although some of those things are different between the 2 cameras).
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List
rklepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #12
windpig
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklepper View Post
I have both the 5DII and the 7D and love them both. They are both great as so many things (although some of those things are different between the 2 cameras).
This is where I am on the subject. I'm loving the 5DII so much. Don't wait, go for it, your wasting valuable shooting time. How many people have posted that the purchase of a 5DII was a mistake?
windpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #13
gcmj45acp

I'll voice another vote for buying the 5DmkII now rather than waiting for a camera that may be a year or more away. Like Doc Klepper, I own both and love them both. I got the 5DmkII as a gift but, I'd already purchased the 7D at the time and there is simply no way I'd give up the 7D having spent six months with it by the time I got the 5DmkII. But as you've already seen in your work, the 5DmkII is a great tool in its own right. If you wait for the 5DmkIII, that's at least a year worth of shooting you could do with a camera that is available now.
Other: GT2331 tripod, Acratech GV2 head, 580EXII, 430EXII(x4), PocketWizard TT1 transmitter and FlexTT5 transceivers along with a growing assortment of light modifiers.
gcmj45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #14
NaKiD EyE
Goldmember

I'm thinking this question has been asked about everyday it seems.
NaKiD EyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2010 (Mon)   #15
umphotography
Cream of the Crop

the 5DMKII and a 7D is as about as good as it gets for weddings. I would think the only way they are going to do to improve the 5DMKII is put an updated af system in it...and everyone myself included would like to see the 7d focal system in it. But as everyone has indicated,,probably a year or so out. I dont see a lot of 1 series at weddings but i do see a lot of 5D's and Nikons. you could also look into a 5D classic as well,,still an awesome camera.
Facebook
umphotography is offline   Reply With Quote