Canon EOS 300D Sticky/Melting Handgrip please!

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 07:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

barryuk
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a Canon 300D which has been a great camera for me. However, I recently moved from the Uk to the Canary Islands and the black plastic handgrip has become very sticky, leaving a black residue on my hand each time I use it.

I have always kept the handgrip clean using only warm water and I am convinced that it is reacting badly to the heat over here. Does anyone know how I can cure this problem or, if it can easily be replaced without sending the camera off for repair somewhere which is a problem over here.

It sounds a minor problem but it has made the camera unusable until I get it sorted.

Thank you for your help

Barry

Post #1, Sep 07, 2010 07:52:31

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,419 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

The heat shouldn't be that bad out there. You're not using an insect repellant that contains DEET, are you?

Post #2, Sep 08, 2010 06:36:37

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

barryuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi

Thanks for replying. No, I'm not using insect repellent or anything like that. The black plastic strip covering the video socket is also the same and I never use that, because it is usually covered by the ever ready case, so it is not sweat on my hands. It is as if the black plastic is beginning to melt and it is not that hot here!

I have written to Canon and checked everywhere I can think of but no answers as yet. I even wondered about buying a damaged body and trying to replace the plastic handgrip and black plastic side strip but unless I get to the root of the issue it may well happen again. I love this camera and don't want to upgrade! Maybe it is planned obsolescence - they just melt away!

Anyway thank you for your suggestion

Cheers

Barry

Post #3, Sep 08, 2010 06:46:18 as a reply to hollis_f's post 9 minutes earlier.

kyle_4375
Joined Aug 2010
293 posts
Cincinnati, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey there,

I have a Rebel XT (350D?) and have noticed quite a bit of wear on the handgrip area. Granted, the body is about 5 yrs old now, but it recently seems to have been wearing off more than usual. It appears that they use a rubberized paint to 'fake' the look of an actual rubber part, and over time, the paint adhesion gets weaker and wears off. Not really sure if there's much you can do to stop it.

Post #4, Sep 08, 2010 08:47:40 as a reply to barryuk's post 2 hours earlier.

Canon 50D | Tamron 17-50 | Tamron 70-300 | Nifty Fifty | 430ex | Flickrexternal link

barryuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey! I've just been musing over my problem with a glass of whisky! I suddenly had a thought and tried rubbing the handgrip and rubber side with my handkerchief dipped in whisky! It works!

I have now managed to clean the handgrip and rubber side with whisky - best, of course! It now looks like new and I have saved myself a bomb! Even Canon did not tell me to do this but suggested replacement parts! Thank you all for your advice!

Post #5, Sep 08, 2010 08:53:38 as a reply to kyle_4375's post 5 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
blackcube
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2011
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Its an old post but still a valid one. I just registered to post in this thread.

First, I used whisky too to clean that ink and worked in my canon 300D too. Thanks barry

I was searching the internet and found out this link
http://www.flixya.com ...D-Could-It-Be-a-7D-Killerexternal link

what is important in this page is:

Magnesium alloy chassis & 'real' rubber hand grip (as opposed to rubberized coating)

I think that is the culprint for the "melting" of hand grip. It's the rubber coating that melted leaving only the black plastic after the cleaning.

just my 2 cents.

Post #6, Jul 18, 2011 17:09:55

bluestime
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2012
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I used ordinary rubbing alcohol and it took the stickiness completely away. You have to really scrum though.
I have done this on my Canon 1n and on a Nikon N50. They both feel like new now. Remember though, you have to scrub, then dry with soft rag, scrub again, dry, etc. until the stickiness is gone.
Hope this helps.
J.:D

Post #7, Apr 21, 2013 09:14:37 as a reply to blackcube's post over 1 year earlier.

KirkS518
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
3,900 posts
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
[MORE/SHARE]

I always wonder how new forum members (on all forums, not just here) end up finding these ancient threads, and then feel it necessary to revive them. I mean, they have to be a couple of hundred pages into the archives, and to come across a thread like this, and then feel that this is the perfect thread to make their debut post, amazes me....

Post #8, Apr 21, 2013 13:47:09

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
5,249 posts
"...just south of the 26th Paralell..."
[MORE/SHARE]

Unlike most, they use their brains and probably use the "search" feature. but yeah it is pretty amazing.

Post #9, Apr 22, 2013 17:23:35

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Yearexternal linkFinallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmediaexternal link

misolo
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2013
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I know this is an old thread, but since people are searching and finding it (it was the only thing I could find anywhere when searching myself), I thought I'd add here my experience and advice. My EOS 300D (Digital Rebel), after sitting for a few years in a closet, also had the sticky melting rubber grip, and in a bad way. I'm now on a 5DIII, but wanted to give the 300D to my young daughter to get started on photography. I was able to completely clean it by simply using paper tissues (no alcohol). It takes some physical work to rub it all off, and my thumbs are now a bit sore. But a dozen paper tissues later, which get all black from soaking up the rubberized paint, the handgrip (as well as the side panel on the other side) is now clean and shiny black hard plastic, looking like new.

Post #10, Jun 28, 2013 04:50:33 as a reply to philwillmedia's post 2 months earlier.

old ­ soldier
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2013
1 post
Mid North Coast of New South Wales Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I've just read all these posts, didn't work too well (probably not enough patience) anyway tried wire woll scouring pad. Use dry just put a little dab of water with finger. They cleaned up perfectly in seconds.

Post #11, Sep 12, 2013 22:57:04

sponsored links
spittinimages
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2013
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Great tip!
Were you worried that some of the wire would somehow find its way into your camera?
Did you end up having to clean the grip with more water on a cloth?

Post #12, Sep 21, 2013 11:41:34

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
3,401 posts
White Rock, BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

philwillmedia wrote in post #15856024external link
Unlike most, they use their brains and probably use the "search" feature. but yeah it is pretty amazing.

Some of us that are still using older cameras actually have to go back into the archives to see if others have had the problems we are now having.

The search feature is a great tool to use when looking for an odd-ball problem with a specific camera.

I'm not sure I would be wasting good scotch to clean my camera grip. I'm pretty sure the cheap stuff would do just fine. ;)

Post #13, Sep 21, 2013 13:58:01

Canon 5D, 7D, 400D | Canon EF-S 17-85, 70-300 IS, 28-105/3.5 |

Alexg800
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2013
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello,

I am looking for the rubber cover for a connector window of my EOS 300D camera. The old one has been crashed I suppose as an old one. Where to find it out? Who knows?
Alex

Post #14, Sep 27, 2013 09:57:22

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
5,249 posts
"...just south of the 26th Paralell..."
[MORE/SHARE]

Alexg800 wrote in post #16329135external link
...I am looking for the rubber cover for a connector window of my EOS 300D camera...

What is a connector window?

Post #15, Sep 27, 2013 23:59:15

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Yearexternal linkFinallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmediaexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 300D Sticky/Melting Handgrip please!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES