Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of September 2010 (Tue)   #1
barryuk

Default Canon EOS 300D Sticky/Melting Handgrip please!

I have a Canon 300D which has been a great camera for me. However, I recently moved from the Uk to the Canary Islands and the black plastic handgrip has become very sticky, leaving a black residue on my hand each time I use it.

I have always kept the handgrip clean using only warm water and I am convinced that it is reacting badly to the heat over here. Does anyone know how I can cure this problem or, if it can easily be replaced without sending the camera off for repair somewhere which is a problem over here.

It sounds a minor problem but it has made the camera unusable until I get it sorted.

Thank you for your help

Barry
barryuk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #2
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Canon EOS 300D Sticky/Melting Handgrip please!

The heat shouldn't be that bad out there. You're not using an insect repellant that contains DEET, are you?
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #3
barryuk

Hi

Thanks for replying. No, I'm not using insect repellent or anything like that. The black plastic strip covering the video socket is also the same and I never use that, because it is usually covered by the ever ready case, so it is not sweat on my hands. It is as if the black plastic is beginning to melt and it is not that hot here!

I have written to Canon and checked everywhere I can think of but no answers as yet. I even wondered about buying a damaged body and trying to replace the plastic handgrip and black plastic side strip but unless I get to the root of the issue it may well happen again. I love this camera and don't want to upgrade! Maybe it is planned obsolescence - they just melt away!

Anyway thank you for your suggestion

Cheers

Barry
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #4
kyle_4375

Hey there,

I have a Rebel XT (350D?) and have noticed quite a bit of wear on the handgrip area. Granted, the body is about 5 yrs old now, but it recently seems to have been wearing off more than usual. It appears that they use a rubberized paint to 'fake' the look of an actual rubber part, and over time, the paint adhesion gets weaker and wears off. Not really sure if there's much you can do to stop it.
kyle_4375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #5
barryuk

Hey! I've just been musing over my problem with a glass of whisky! I suddenly had a thought and tried rubbing the handgrip and rubber side with my handkerchief dipped in whisky! It works!

I have now managed to clean the handgrip and rubber side with whisky - best, of course! It now looks like new and I have saved myself a bomb! Even Canon did not tell me to do this but suggested replacement parts! Thank you all for your advice!
Old 18th of July 2011 (Mon)   #6
blackcube

Its an old post but still a valid one. I just registered to post in this thread.

First, I used whisky too to clean that ink and worked in my canon 300D too. Thanks barry

I was searching the internet and found out this link
http://www.flixya.com/blog/2866257/N...Be-a-7D-Killer

what is important in this page is:
Quote:
Magnesium alloy chassis & 'real' rubber hand grip (as opposed to rubberized coating)
I think that is the culprint for the "melting" of hand grip. It's the rubber coating that melted leaving only the black plastic after the cleaning.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by blackcube : 18th of July 2011 (Mon) at 17:12.
blackcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2013 (Sun)   #7
bluestime

I used ordinary rubbing alcohol and it took the stickiness completely away. You have to really scrum though.
I have done this on my Canon 1n and on a Nikon N50. They both feel like new now. Remember though, you have to scrub, then dry with soft rag, scrub again, dry, etc. until the stickiness is gone.
Hope this helps.
J.
bluestime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2013 (Sun)   #8
KirkS518
Goldmember

I always wonder how new forum members (on all forums, not just here) end up finding these ancient threads, and then feel it necessary to revive them. I mean, they have to be a couple of hundred pages into the archives, and to come across a thread like this, and then feel that this is the perfect thread to make their debut post, amazes me....

50D, 20D IR Conv, Rebel XT, Rokinon 8mm FE, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm nonVC, Canon 24-105L, 50mm Mark I, 40mm 2.8 STM, Canon 85mm Canon 1.8, Canon 100mm Macro, Tamron 70-300mm VC, Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4, CZ Biotar 58/2, and a bunch of other stuff
KirkS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of April 2013 (Mon)   #9
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop

Unlike most, they use their brains and probably use the "search" feature. but yeah it is pretty amazing.
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia
philwillmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of June 2013 (Fri)   #10
misolo

I know this is an old thread, but since people are searching and finding it (it was the only thing I could find anywhere when searching myself), I thought I'd add here my experience and advice. My EOS 300D (Digital Rebel), after sitting for a few years in a closet, also had the sticky melting rubber grip, and in a bad way. I'm now on a 5DIII, but wanted to give the 300D to my young daughter to get started on photography. I was able to completely clean it by simply using paper tissues (no alcohol). It takes some physical work to rub it all off, and my thumbs are now a bit sore. But a dozen paper tissues later, which get all black from soaking up the rubberized paint, the handgrip (as well as the side panel on the other side) is now clean and shiny black hard plastic, looking like new.
misolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2013 (Thu)   #11
old soldier

I've just read all these posts, didn't work too well (probably not enough patience) anyway tried wire woll scouring pad. Use dry just put a little dab of water with finger. They cleaned up perfectly in seconds.
old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of September 2013 (Sat)   #12
spittinimages

Great tip!
Were you worried that some of the wire would somehow find its way into your camera?
Did you end up having to clean the grip with more water on a cloth?
spittinimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of September 2013 (Sat)   #13
WaltA
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwillmedia View Post
Unlike most, they use their brains and probably use the "search" feature. but yeah it is pretty amazing.
Some of us that are still using older cameras actually have to go back into the archives to see if others have had the problems we are now having.

The search feature is a great tool to use when looking for an odd-ball problem with a specific camera.

I'm not sure I would be wasting good scotch to clean my camera grip. I'm pretty sure the cheap stuff would do just fine.
WaltA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2013 (Fri)   #14
Alexg800

Hello,

I am looking for the rubber cover for a connector window of my EOS 300D camera. The old one has been crashed I suppose as an old one. Where to find it out? Who knows?
Alex
Alexg800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2013 (Fri)   #15
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexg800 View Post
...I am looking for the rubber cover for a connector window of my EOS 300D camera...
What is a connector window?
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia
philwillmedia is offline   Reply With Quote