Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #1
Rocknsd

Default AV TV Mode

Iím having a little discussion with a fellow photographer about what mode I should be shooting in, AV or TV. I use a 7D, 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Fantastic lens. Anyway, I shoot equestrian events, from walking to jumping. I always shoot Shutter Priority, 800-1000 sec. 100-200 ISO, the camera will select f/4.5-5.6 90% of the time which works good for me. He said that I should be shooting AV mode and let the camera select the shutter speed. He quoted an article: Aperture-priority is the best general-purpose mode to use. The image quality of a photograph is often limited by the available light. The correct setting is therefore maximum aperture: to allow the most light to enter and enable fast shutter speeds (to reduce camera-shake and motion-blur).Aperture-priority is a good default, general-purpose, exposure mode. The other modes are used in specialized situations.In most situations the photographer who wants to minimize motion-blur as much as possible, then setting maximum aperture (in aperture-priority mode) to get the highest possible shutter speed, makes more sense.

My thought was I know I want to stop action, so I use Shutter Priority mode TV, if the aperture setting happens to come in lower than I want, letís say 2.8 I just increase the ISO setting. Using the AV mode just doesnít make sense to me, seems backwards. How are You shooting sporting events where motion is an issue?
Rocknsd is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #2
tracknut

Default Re: AV TV Mode

I've stated my vote for AV in your situation here and for a while now. You'll see an alternate opinion in that thread also.

"motion is an issue" is the real question. If you were doing autosports, you specifically want a shutter speed of exactly 1/120 (let's say), no faster, no slower. That's the use for TV. In your example, what you seem to want is a shutter speed of 1/1000 (let's say) or faster. That's different, and if you're also trying to get a specific aperture (say f2.8 ) then AV is the mode for you.

Dave
tracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of September 2010 (Wed)   #3
Dermit

For me Av is most often the best setting. Here is why... like in your example shooting equestrian (which I shoot as well, my daughter rides dressage) I really don't care if the shutter is 1/800 or 1/1000 or 1/1500... all of those are going to freeze the action I am shooting. However, I DO care if my aperture wanders because I usually have a very specific DOF I am going for. Most often wide open for shallow DOF because most backgrounds will distract. Occasionally do do stop down for more DOF for more of a range when shooting action when I can afford it. But always keep an eye on shutter and if it drops too low, then I bump the ISO.

I guess it's a matter of what you can afford to have bounce around, DOF, or speed. In most cases speed differences are less visually obvious from shot to shot than DOF.

http://www.pixelcraftphoto.com
Dermit is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of September 2010 (Thu)   #4
jacuff
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknsd View Post
How are You shooting sporting events where motion is an issue?
Luckily, I mostly only shoot sports where the lighting is pretty constant. If it changes, it is gradual and I can adjust. Thus I shoot in M.
Old 9th of September 2010 (Thu)   #5
Rugger11

I haven't shot equestrian events before, but for other sports I always shoot either in manual or shutter priority. That way I can always be sure to have a nice shot with the action frozen and not have to worry about the camera choosing a shutter speed that is too slow, leaving you with an unusable, blurry shot.
Old 9th of September 2010 (Thu)   #6
eigga
Goldmember

I see no reason to shoot Tv unless I am trying for a specific effect such as motion blur.

For sports I see Av as the main choice if you are using a semi-auto mode. However if you want consistent results Manual is the best option.
Instagram
eigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2010 (Fri)   #7
Gatorboy
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger11 View Post
I haven't shot equestrian events before, but for other sports I always shoot either in manual or shutter priority. That way I can always be sure to have a nice shot with the action frozen and not have to worry about the camera choosing a shutter speed that is too slow, leaving you with an unusable, blurry shot.
If the light is low and your lens is not fast enough, you will have an underexposed image.

Tv is typically used for panning. With Av, you can always be sure to have the fastest shutter speed (while getting a proper exposure).
Old 10th of September 2010 (Fri)   #8
whuband

This event is perfect for manual exposure settings. I've shot some equestrian and rodeo, and I do it this way. Your meter can be fooled by changing backgrounds as the horses move around the ring. The horse and rider are the most important. Meter on the horse and shoot a sample and check your histogram. Adjust your settings as necessary to make sure there is some detail in the horse. There, you're done, and no worries of an underexposed horse and rider against a light background. If a cloud temporarily covers the sun, then make a quick adjustment.
1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.
whuband is offline   Reply With Quote