Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ooops, broke my 16-35L — how much $$ to fix?

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 10, 2010 14:50 |  #1

OK, it was bound to happen. I'm not even angry or upset, as I've just been waiting for the day when I really screw up and lose some gear to a stupid accident.

Today after I shot some interior stuff, I set my camera down, something is hooked to the camera, so when I move away from the table to remove my shoes, I pull down the camera that drops onto the floor, lens first (about a meter high fall). The 16-35/2.8L USM breaks off from the lens mount (or actually the mount that holds the lens to the body breaks lose, so I can hit the button and unscrew the mount from the camera).

It's not a pretty look (any electronics is kind of scary to me)... but I'm guessing it's designed to break this way, so it's not so costly.... or something.

*gulp*

Luckily the 580EX II and the camera (5D Mk II) did seem unharmed from the floor. I guess the new mounts for the flashes are pretty sturdy now compared to before.

Anyway, Sweden (and Europe) just changed their CPS rules, so now I'm just a regular Silver member. So no loaner equipment (only for Gold and Platinum members) I am shooting a wedding on october 2nd, so I have almost 3 weeks until then, which might be to my advantage. (I can get by with the 24-105L but I'd feel safer to be able to have a backup wide angle lens.)

Anyone have any idea if it's costly to repair a break like this, and how long it might take?

The nearest place to repair Canon gear is Stockholm, so I have to calculated 2 days on each end of the repair for transit of the gear to get there and back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

sponsored links
SiaoP
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 10, 2010 17:20 |  #2

Probably 200-300$.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

nhglamour
154 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 10, 2010 19:40 |  #3

It is probably best if you can send it in. I am lucky I have one factory service center not far from me. Once you send it in, they will tell you how much.

Good luck!

5D3 with grip | 7D with grip| 24-70 f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM | 100 f2.8 L IS USM Macro | 24 f1.4 L USM II | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar T* ZE | 600EX-RT | 580EX | ST-E3 | ST-E2

CyberPet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 10, 2010 20:04 |  #4

SiaoP wrote in post #10886940 (external link)
Probably 200-300$.

Sounds plausible. Thanks!

nhglamour wrote in post #10887465 (external link)
It is probably best if you can send it in. I am lucky I have one factory service center not far from me. Once you send it in, they will tell you how much.

Good luck!

LOL, I had to laugh a bit at your answer. I don't have much choice than to send it in.... unless I want a piece of scrap in my bag forever and the nearest CPS center is some 1,000 km away. :D

I just want to know if I need to contact my insurance company or not, or if it's no idea, as it'll just raise the premium. If it's a simple repair, I could save more money to not contact the insurance company, and eat the repair bill.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I'll check back when I know what the damages will be (maybe it'll help someone else too.) :D

/Petra Hall
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 11, 2010 01:39 |  #5

You seem to be having a string of bad luck, with the 7D that burned in a fire and now this.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 11, 2010 03:17 as a reply to  @ Lani Kai's post |  #6

A few months ago, I broke some lens contact pins on my 5DMKII .. and repair was like a fixed rate (repair, cleaning, focusing screen change etc) .. and was 170€ ..
Repair was done in less than one week (including sending from Lyon's Canon service center to Paris and back). I am just a first level pro, so I just getter better reparation price than "public" price..
So I guess, it really won't be long to fix your lens and I imagine they have also like a standard rate to fix it.

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

CyberPet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 11, 2010 09:03 |  #7

Lani Kai wrote in post #10888655 (external link)
You seem to be having a string of bad luck, with the 7D that burned in a fire and now this.

LOL, yeah, but this time it was MY lens and MY camera. My Fiancé is still waiting for a police report before he can get the claim with the insurance company for the fire. Someone broke into his home too, and stole some small stuff, so they want to treat both the fire and the break-in at the same time. *sigh* (Hence my wish to NOT bother with MY insurance company if his is that unlucky.)

newworld666 wrote in post #10888839 (external link)
A few months ago, I broke some lens contact pins on my 5DMKII .. and repair was like a fixed rate (repair, cleaning, focusing screen change etc) .. and was 170€ ..
Repair was done in less than one week (including sending from Lyon's Canon service center to Paris and back). I am just a first level pro, so I just getter better reparation price than "public" price..
So I guess, it really won't be long to fix your lens and I imagine they have also like a standard rate to fix it.

Oh that sounds promising. I'm a Silver member of CPS (which I guess is the same, first level pro). I have to call the repair center on monday (typical it happens over a weekend!) to see how I should go about and send things in, if they send me a address slip or I just box it up and send it off. But it sounds good with fixed rates... I will probably have to send in the camera too, even if it seems unharmed, just to be on the safe side for my wedding on october 2nd. I rather not have one camera stop working or doing something odd.

Thanks!

/Petra Hall

CyberPet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 15, 2010 09:15 |  #8

OK, here's some news on my repair....

I sent the lens in for repair on monday, they got it today and sent me a quote for the reapir.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

They wanted $766 dollars (including taxes, which is 25%) *eek* *to repair the lens, they said they have to take it apart completely. Even if I don't think it looks too bad. But what do I know. :shock:

Anyway. After I got the quote and said OK to the repair, I called the insurance company.

They don't cover the full amount of the repair, as the lens is over 1 year old. I said it was 2 yrs old (I just assumed, had no idea when the original buyer bought it) so they'll cover 65% of the amount, regardless if I buy a new lens of repair it, but in this case it was cheaper to repair.

So while talking with the insurance company on the phone, they put in money on my account to cover the repair (well part of it). All fixed in 10 minutes on the phone and I don't even have to send one single paper in to prove that I was right.

Amazing!

I'll get the lens back next week as I'm a CPS Gold member... but here in Sweden they don't give out discounts on the repairs, which would have been nice.

So an expensive experience for sure, but I'm glad it'll *only* cost me $480 to fix the lens.

/Petra Hall

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 15, 2010 09:31 |  #9

glad to hear about the good resolution. All in all 480 isn't so bad considering the damage and new cost of the lens. Next time im sure you will treat all your equipment like crystal :D

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

CyberPet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 15, 2010 09:58 |  #10

LOL, well I always do treat my equipment well. This was an accident, and there's no real insurance against that.

/Petra Hall

sponsored links

2,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ooops, broke my 16-35L — how much $$ to fix?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.