Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #1
secoast

Default Main Dial Slipping

Hi All.

I have a 30D that has barely been used (about 1000 shots). Yesterday, the Main Dial suddenly began to slip when rotated. The normal clicks were not present and it failed to affect the settings.
I got it clicking and responding in the clockwise direction, but not counter-clockwise. I eventually managed to get it working counter-clockwise, but only by using the side of my finger putting some pressure on the side of the dial as it turned.

I don't know if this slipping is normal (under certain circumstances), or whever the dial, which is made of rubber, is no longer firmly glued/attached to its spindle.

This is a minor mechanical fault (I think) but I suspect it's going to cost a fair bit to get repaired by Canon. Has anyone experienced this before?

Cheers

Mark
secoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #2
number six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"

Default Re: Main Dial Slipping

Nope, definitely not normal. And not very common, either - I haven't heard of that complaint, and POTNers will complain about everything!

Call Canon repair service and mention the very low usage - others have reported that they'll sometimes do free repairs on out-of-warranty cameras.

-js
number six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #3
crn3371
Cream of the Crop

You could also try the rubbing alcohol trick to see if that helps. I did it on my 30D for a sticky shutter button and it worked like a charm. Since the main dial is right next to the shutter button it might also help, definitely couldn't hurt.
crn3371 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #4
number six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"

I thought the main dial is the one on the left - M, Av, Tv, etc....
number six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #5
secoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by number six View Post
Call Canon repair service and mention the very low usage - others have reported that they'll sometimes do free repairs on out-of-warranty cameras.-js
Will do that, hopefully it will just come down to postage costs, or little more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
You could also try the rubbing alcohol trick to see if that helps. I did it on my 30D for a sticky shutter button and it worked like a charm. Since the main dial is right next to the shutter button it might also help, definitely couldn't hurt.
Hmmm...If it was a well used body perhaps, but if I can get it sorted at a reasonable cost I would rather do that than risk the potential consequences of pouring chemicals into the workings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number six View Post
I thought the main dial is the one on the left - M, Av, Tv, etc....
No, that's the Mode dial.

Thanks for the replies. It's appreciated.

Mark
secoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of June 2011 (Mon)   #6
Drive4show

LOL - I have the EXACT same problem !! Did Canon repair it free or did it cost a bundle
Just wondering if it's worth it or time to upgrade to a 7D.

30D , 50D, 7D, Tamron XR DII 18-200mm f3.5-6.3, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5,Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon Macro 100mm f2.8, CanonL 400mm f5.6, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Speedlite 580 EXII, 580EX, 430 EX II
Drive4show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2011 (Fri)   #7
Shawnc

This is an older thread but I found it doing a search for others having the same problem.
I have a 30D and the Main dial is slipping also. I have read that this requires approx $180+ repair bill. Hard to swallow when the camera is worth only about $300. Anyone have any Ideas how to re[pair this issue?
Old 14th of December 2011 (Wed)   #8
wbjb

Unhappy Re: Main Dial Slipping

Just for the record, this fault has also occured with my 4 year old EOS 30D. It is little used, as most of the time I use a smaller camera - currently a G11.

I am very disappointed to have a fault that makes the camera virtually unusable after so little use, although I will obviously try to get it fixed.
So much for Canon quality.
This is the second fault in a Canon in 4 years - I had a S70 on which the zoom button failed. When you bought a good old film SLR, they lasted for ever!

Brendan Blake / London.
wbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of December 2011 (Wed)   #9
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Wow...never heard of this issue before now (and I had a pair of 30Ds for a while)...

I hope Canon treats you guys well, sounds like a manufacturing defect...
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of December 2011 (Wed)   #10
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

I had the same issue with my 50D recently. You'll probably find it's a dust problem. I spent about five minutes with a strong rocket blower blowing a heap of air down the gaps in the main dial. Mine is good now.

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #11
mury

Same problem with 50D (about 8000 shots) ...
Mir-1B 37/2.8, Helios 44-2 - 58/2, Jupiter 11A - 135/4
mury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2014 (Sun)   #12
Lonehunter

Same problem in my 50D, but following some instructions in internet, I could apply a couple of small points of superglue between rubber wheel and real main dial and problem was solved.
Be careful with amount of glue, is just a little (point of a needle) and apply each one at 180° of the other.
I hope it can help you.
Lonehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2014 (Sun)   #13
Frodge

The rebels don't have that goofy rubber grip over the dial. It's just plastic, and my better design. I'm wondering if they changed the design on the 60d and 70d....
Frodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2014 (Sun)   #14
Preeb
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by secoast View Post
Hi All.

I have a 30D that has barely been used (about 1000 shots). Yesterday, the Main Dial suddenly began to slip when rotated. The normal clicks were not present and it failed to affect the settings.
I got it clicking and responding in the clockwise direction, but not counter-clockwise. I eventually managed to get it working counter-clockwise, but only by using the side of my finger putting some pressure on the side of the dial as it turned.

I don't know if this slipping is normal (under certain circumstances), or whever the dial, which is made of rubber, is no longer firmly glued/attached to its spindle.

This is a minor mechanical fault (I think) but I suspect it's going to cost a fair bit to get repaired by Canon. Has anyone experienced this before?

Cheers

Mark
I lost the top dial on my 60D. The dial wasn't working any more when the police returned the camera after it was stolen. It still clicked, but nothing happened when I turned it. I had to send it in to Canon for repair. It was fixed under warranty, so I can't even make a guess as to what the cost might normally be.

60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC
Preeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
HungV

The same issue with my 50D on Saturday, I've found this site, bought a crazy glue this morning and it is working again.