Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Urban Life & Travel
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #1
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Default Abandoned ski resort (Forbidden Plateau) on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

I've been doing a lot of exploring around the Island and the other day I was looking at a map and noticed a place called Forbidden Plateau, about 1.5 hrs from where I live. I did some digging around (but avoided pictures, just to make sure it'll be new to me) and found out it was an abandoned ski resort, so I decided to check it out. I thought B&W would be appropriate for much of it...so, here it is.

All taken with a 30D and Tokina 11-16 combo. Most at 11mm, very little to no PP done. Constructive C&C is always appreciated!

1. - Inside the main building

2. - Back room in the main building

3. - Looking out from the main building

4. - Abandoned chairlifts

5. - Not exactly sure what this building was...anyone know? It was near the very top of the hill

6. - The liftie shack and some of the machinery for the lifts...it was the only brightly coloured thing left, B&W wasn't doing it justice

7. - View from a boarded up door of the building in #5

I have some more I'm trying to decide whether they're worthy of posting or not...

Cheers,
Tamas
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #2
crimsonblack
Goldmember

Default Re: Abandoned ski resort (Forbidden Plateau) on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Great shots. You never think about a ski resort being abandoned.

BurntEffects.com
crimsonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #3
halitime

Default Re: Abandoned ski resort (Forbidden Plateau) on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

I started sking on Forbidden Plateau but it's elevatiion is a bit low and Mt.Washinton opened next door.Mt.Washington had a 800 cm base last year,most in the world!! Thats about 26 feet.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #4
JoeNash

i dig the b&w, but would love to see the color ones,

any old structure that has let environment effect is always produces great desaturated hues, almost like the "death of the color" of the resort represents the death of this ski resort...

many things i feel you may loose in b&w (specifically #3 & #7) , detail and weathered materials that tell a story- but really dig em, cheers.
JoeNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #5
kmunroe
Cream of the Crop

nicely done
kmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of September 2010 (Sun)   #6
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Thank you all very much for your comments

halitime: do you know how long ago the resort closed? Yeah, it's very low, I went up to Mt. Washington right before, and I forgot to look at the GPS when I was at Forbidden, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than half the elevation of Washington.

JoeNash: Thanks...the wood was pretty faded and had that grey-ish weathered look...I didn't take too many colour pics...I don't like spending too much time processing (I'd rather be out shooting) so these were taken straight in B&W (for better or for worse haha)

crimsonblack: I know! It's weird that they just left everything there...environmentally it's disgusting...but from a personal perspective, I've always loved old/abandoned things, and there aren't too many of them on the Island and even fewer that are not surrounded by barbed wire...so I was pretty happy
Old 19th of September 2010 (Sun)   #7
halitime

Mt. Washington opened about 1980 and Forbidden closed a couple of years later.The top of Forbidden is about the same as the bottom of Washington. Mt.Arrowsmith also had a Ski Resort in the 80's
which was heavily vandilzed after it shut down.
Old 20th of September 2010 (Mon)   #8
MrGreen

Interesting pix. I remember skiing there in the 90s and last time I was there (~8 years ago) after it shut down it wasn't this bad either.
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash
MrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of September 2010 (Tue)   #9
yagimax

Surprised they had not removed the lift towers after all these years.

The first picture in b+w reminds of a shelled out WWII bunker that I've seen in Germany.
yagimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of September 2010 (Tue)   #10
TheThunderclap

Reminds me of the times I used to go looking for abandoned houses. Great shots.
TheThunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of September 2010 (Fri)   #11
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Thanks for the comments! Having a crappy day, and reading them makes me feel a lot better haha

yagimax: yeah, I'm not sure what the history is (been poking around the internet trying to figure it out), but my guess is they went so broke they didn't even have the money to clean up...though that's just a guess. Also, yeah, when I walked in there, that's exactly what I thought!!

Thunder: Thanks and yeah I absolutely love abandoned houses, buildings, facilities, whatever...I want to see more, but they're pretty rare...
Old 12th of December 2011 (Mon)   #12
lowman905

I think photo # 5 is the top tbar building. Was it way off to the right of the top chair lift? Great pictures, miss skiing here!!! Too bad it closed in the mid/late 90's it was a great affordable family hill.

Last edited by lowman905 : 12th of December 2011 (Mon) at 22:58.
lowman905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of December 2011 (Sun)   #13
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowman905 View Post
I think photo # 5 is the top tbar building. Was it way off to the right of the top chair lift? Great pictures, miss skiing here!!! Too bad it closed in the mid/late 90's it was a great affordable family hill.
Yeah, it looked like a nice "small" place to play around...I'm not exactly sure where that building was, it's been a while since I've been there, but you're probably right Also...welcome to POTN!